Honesty

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
It's true. You can leave your wallet - with a stash of cash visibly hanging out of it - on a subway car or a busy street in Japan and it is likely to be returned to you. More often than not, someone will run you down on the sidewalk to return it to you if they see you drop it.

How about New York? Beijing? London? Mexico City? LA?

It's true. You can leave your wallet - with a stash of cash visibly hanging out of it - on a subway car or a busy street in Japan and it is likely to be returned to you. More often than not, someone will run you down on the sidewalk to return it to you if they see you drop it.

In China, my son's wallet was stolen by a pickpocket. He ran straight into two Chinese police officers who caught him. They marched him back to my son, returned the wallet and the crook was forced to apologize. The cops took the crook aside, beat the living shit out of him in front of everyone, and then let him go!

In China, my son's wallet was stolen by a pickpocket. He ran straight into two Chinese police officers who caught him. They marched him back to my son, returned the wallet and the crook was forced to apologize. The cops took the crook aside, beat the living shit out of him in front of everyone, and then let him go!
Lots of pickpockets in China.

Kids in Japan are raised very strictly. They're taught to respect others and respect authority.
I knew a girl in college that grew up in Japan....and before she came to America she was a businessman's consort.

You can go to the can at a crowded cafe, leave your phone, laptop, wallet/purse, whatever and it will still be that in 10 minutes.

Same in Taiwan and South Korea, but don't try it in Vietnam or Thailand.

Kids in Japan are raised very strictly. They're taught to respect others and respect authority.
I knew a girl in college that grew up in Japan....and before she came to America she was a businessman's consort.
:icon_rolleyes:

Too many *******...no chance.

There were more than a few occasions when I left my wallet at a restaurant or bar and when I went back someone returned it to the management. I know this will sound naive but people are basically honest. Of course, I don’t expect that comment to get much traction on this website given all the jaded posters here!

Last edited:
Japanese society is not perfect. Ohtani's interpreter stole over $4m in total from the baseball player's online bank account he had access to last year. MLB interpreters often work as money managers for players who cannot speak English, entrusted with checks and bank accounts.

Japanese society is not perfect. Ohtani's interpreter stole over $4m in total from the baseball player's online bank account he had access to last year. MLB interpreters often work as money managers for players who cannot speak English, entrusted with checks and bank accounts.

“Japanese society”? He grew up in CA.

same thing in South Korea.

Forum List

Back