CDZ Honest Question, does providing help to drug addicts make them worse?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by iamwhatiseem, Sep 18, 2017.

1. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,783
    I am completely stumped-----not matter how it is done ----IT IS A MONEY PIT-----considering
    the fact that we have SON OF SCOTTISH LADY in the White House-----I predict that somehow
    the budget will get a deep cut

2. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,165
    That makes sense to me.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. MarathonMike

MarathonMike Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,506
    I don't think helping them makes them worse. The addiction is a symptom of a bigger problem with the addict. Treatment helps them beat the physical side of the addiction but unless the mind changes, they are almost sure to relapse. It's a lot harder to get into someone's noodle and turn that around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,567
    Inside a Killer Drug Epidemic: A Look at America’s Opioid Crisis

The problem is not with ineffective programs- it is with the issue of addiction. Read up on the Opioid crisis- on why it is happening in America.

Speaking to your various issues- and not being an expert- but from what i have read:
    a) Numerous programs- drug treatment programs are always in demand- there are just more new addicts than programs.
    b) shelters- shelters generally are not designed to help addicts- most shelters are just for warehousing people.
    c) 'war on drugs' has been a failure- just like Prohibition. Prohibition actually created more addicts because it was easier to get illegal hard alcohol than illegal beer and wine- and people binged and became addicted.
    d) 'getting exponentially worse'- this is specifically the opioid crisis- not exponentially more alcohol addicts, not exponentially more coke addicts, not exponentially more meth addicts(that was yesterday's crisis).

Look into the factors regarding the current drug crisis- it is destroying families and is very tragic.

5. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,289
    The main reason that we are having such a problem with heroin addicts is because the doctors over prescribe opiates, which leads to people getting addicted and when they are cut off from their prescription drugs, they turn to heroin because it's basically the same thing.

Interesting thing happened when CO legalized marijuana for recreational use, their opiate overdose rate dropped 25 percent the first year, and has continued to decline since. I've talked with many veterans who live up there, and they said when they came back from the war in the ME, they had things wrong with them and the VA had them on anywhere from 5 to 15 pills PER DAY. When marijuana was made legal, many of them started smoking or using THC products, and they managed to get down to only one or two pills a day. They got healthier too, because they didn't have to take as many drugs.

And, in VT, there is an addiction treatment center that treats heroin addicts. Now, when people are getting off of heroin, they go through withdrawl, and the symptoms are nausea, jittery nerves, joint pain, and loss of appetite. They decided to use marijuana to help with the withdrawl symptoms (cannabis is not physically addictive), because a good Indica will help with all those problems.

Then, when they finally get through kicking heroin, if they choose, they can keep smoking or quit. It's not physically addictive. And, I don't know if you guys have any idea of recovery rates for heroin addicts (it's single digits normally), but they have had a SIXTY PERCENT SUCCESS RATE for people who had been with the program for a year.

Wanna help cut down on the heroin use? Legalize marijuana.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,165
    I don't have an issue with regulated/legalized marijuana. It has always seemed rather ridiculous to me that alcohol is legal but a much less damaging/potent drug is not.
    I haven't smoked it in many years, and probably never will, legal or not. I love my craft beer. (I make my own also)
    But, to your point, if marijuana has provably shown verifiable benefit in treating addiction to much more serious drugs - then all the more reason to legalize it.
    And I am quite conservative.

7. Rambunctious

Rambunctious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,764
    Honest Question, does providing help to drug addicts make them worse?

I would say there is a 50 - 50 shot that providing help to them will actually help them with their addiction. Family's are said to have the most positive effect with their addicted siblings, and children but those odds are not all that good either.

People have to help themselves, they have hit rock bottom, and if the bottom does not kill them they may decide to make a change for good.

My good friend was a two pack a day smoker. I could smell his cigarette smoke from three doors down. We never went to their home for dinner because of his smoking. But we love him. We tried everything to convince him to stop.

Then one night we saw an Ambulance pull in front of his home. He had a heart attack, age 46, not over weight at all.

He decided that was it and he quit cold turkey. It's now been 5 years and he is still smoke free but it took a near death experience to wake him up.

8. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Good topic.

If we are anything like a good christian nation we have to have the help there ready for them.

We CAN jail them to break the physical addiction. It is expensive and it puts them around people with worse problems. Perhaps drug abuser only prisons or half way houses?

Far as pot goes, it is less bad than most other drugs and I firmly believe if alcohol is legal pot should be legal. Like alcohol it is an addictive crutch. I know too many lifers for each. Pot addiction affects their job choices and sometimes drives soccer moms to go meet underworld figures. Legalizing pot fixes some of those problems. Doesn't make it less addictive though and personally I don't want to legalize it until the punishments for driving drunk or stoned are worse.

9. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,116
    Read some stories a few weeks ago about drug dealers racing to set up shop near rehab centers, because they're a market magnet for them. The stories were about Florida but it probably applies everywhere else, too.

10. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,116
    Legalizing drugs of any kind only creates a bigger problem, and exposes more and more kids to them. Forget the idiot hippie 'solutions', they've gone nowhere but backwards.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017