CDZ Homelessness in the United States

This has been on my mind a lot lately as it was a problem before but with covid it will be increasing substantially.

It is not just a matter of people unable to pay rents but a range of cost that even landlords face today. A friend is losing her home due to the cost of repairs and insurance her landlord is facing so its been on my mind all day; what are cities and states going to do with all of the misplaced people? A person who is disabled or on limited Social Security only gets about $800.00 a month to live off of. My friend's rent is $500.00 a month and that is cheap when compared to rent in her SC area and would be even if she were here in this poverty stricken area of Iowa. I know some may think just move into some subsidized housing but most of those do not allow pets and she has two well trained dogs that are her constant companions. I know I would not give up my dog if we had a landlord letting us know he was kicking us out after we just paid the rent. Thankfully we own our own place even if it is a shithole tin shed with a leaky roof; it is ours as long as we can keep the property taxes paid.

Why can't cities and counties provide some of their land in areas not in use for people in need to have a tiny house? A place people can call her own while they get through the days here not clumped together like sardines. There are many like her who do not want to live like robots in apartment type complexes and who can blame them. They'd rather live in and fix up a piece at a time a place where they can just be their own person without a lot of hassle without a neighbor within a 100 feet of them. Lots of undeveloped land out there in the states throughout that could house retirees and even a family if they want to live out of the city interiors. Instead our government is spending trillions to develop what??? Vaccines and shit the average human doesn't want and needs no part of???
We should have no homeless problem in our First World economy. There is no provision for excuses in our federal doctrine. Our welfare clause is General and we have a commerce clause in particular that implies market friendly solutions.
Unless you are willing to use governmental force, you will always have a homeless problem. There are some people who are simply either not willing, or unable to maintain a stable life. In my time on skid row, I came to know a number of panhandlers who had corners there. To a man they considered me a fool for holding down a regular job and paying taxes. They claimed to average over a hundred dollars a day and at least one had a car and a apartment not far from downtown. At the time I was making less than ten dollars an hour before taxes. I have sympathy for the mentally ill, I even have some sympathy for the substance abusers, I have no sympathy for the bums and panhandlers. The only way to get the homeless off the street is to arrest them and confine them in some kind of restricted access housing.

This has been on my mind a lot lately as it was a problem before but with covid it will be increasing substantially.

It is not just a matter of people unable to pay rents but a range of cost that even landlords face today. A friend is losing her home due to the cost of repairs and insurance her landlord is facing so its been on my mind all day; what are cities and states going to do with all of the misplaced people? A person who is disabled or on limited Social Security only gets about $800.00 a month to live off of. My friend's rent is $500.00 a month and that is cheap when compared to rent in her SC area and would be even if she were here in this poverty stricken area of Iowa. I know some may think just move into some subsidized housing but most of those do not allow pets and she has two well trained dogs that are her constant companions. I know I would not give up my dog if we had a landlord letting us know he was kicking us out after we just paid the rent. Thankfully we own our own place even if it is a shithole tin shed with a leaky roof; it is ours as long as we can keep the property taxes paid.

Why can't cities and counties provide some of their land in areas not in use for people in need to have a tiny house? A place people can call her own while they get through the days here not clumped together like sardines. There are many like her who do not want to live like robots in apartment type complexes and who can blame them. They'd rather live in and fix up a piece at a time a place where they can just be their own person without a lot of hassle without a neighbor within a 100 feet of them. Lots of undeveloped land out there in the states throughout that could house retirees and even a family if they want to live out of the city interiors. Instead our government is spending trillions to develop what??? Vaccines and shit the average human doesn't want and needs no part of???
I dunno...as someone who lives off the grid, I quite like my seclusion. I wouldn’t really want it interfered with by having the government show up and start throwing up housing developments where I live. Frankly, if money is really tight, then yes, your friend should consider losing the dogs and going into subsidized housing.

Many retirees are living in small vans or rv's and they stayed in parks so they could survive on their meager pensions. Where are they now as they could not afford homes or apartments either.
Right now, as I write this, I am in a small apt. I could not afford to live here if it were just me and MrG. Our SS just isn't enough for rent plus utilities plus food, etc. The ONLY reason we are here is because the lady that we were renting from in Paradise said she woudl help, because if not for us, she would have burned up. And she would have. 86 people died in Paradise. She would have been number 87. Of course we took her with us. Never crossed our minds not to. And it galls me to accept her generosity, but we will be getting low income housing soon..I hope. Its been a 5 year wait. Finally getting a bit of action on that now. And when we die.....Anne gets all we own. I have collected since the fire, and some good stuff, too. Its all Anne's. Both cars, furniture, the scarves I collected that she loves, any money we may have left in the bank, jewelry, food....ALL of it. Its hers. Its the only way we can repay her.
There was an older lady that since I can recall as a child that lived with my grandparents. She was like family and until I was an adult I never knew she wasn't family but a lady my grandparents took in when she needed a place.
Your grandparents sound like they were very kind people. We obviously need more people like them in these somewhat horrific times.

A person who is disabled or on limited Social Security only gets about $800.00 a month to live off of. My friend's rent is $500.00 a month and that is cheap when compared to rent in her SC area and would be even if she were here in this poverty stricken area of Iowa. I know some may think just move into some subsidized housing but most of those do not allow pets and she has two well trained dogs that are her constant companions. I know I would not give up my dog if we had a landlord letting us know he was kicking us out
Illegal. They can't say no if those two dogs are ESA. Emotional Support Animals. BOTH of them are ESA and if she can get a letter from her doc, they cannot say no to them. CANNOT. ILLEGAL. Look it up. Have HER look it up. Have her look for HUD housing. If they say only ONE dog, ILLEGAL. ONE dog does not encompass ESA needs because ESA needs are not just one problem. Emotions are a multitude of things and if it takes TWO dogs to keep her emotionally stable, then TWO dogs it is. She can sue anyone that says otherwise.

I was homeless too, for 4 months. I did find places we could rent temporarily but they said no to my dog. So I stayed homeless. Fuck them and their bullshit. My dog was my ESA and I have the letter in my purse at all times. She went in stores with me, grocery stores, restaurants...anywhere I went, she went. And she was not a 20 dog either. She was a yellow lab that weighed 75 lbs.

Where I am currently right this minute, is in a HUD apt complex for seniors. I hate it. HOWEVER, its a roof for now. They said ONE cat or ONE dog, no more than 25 lbs. I told them "wanna run that by me again? You DO know I am retired from 45+ years of property management, right?"
I moved in with one cat because the other one died prior to moving here. Manager said only one cat anyway. I said Gosh, I think I will get a goat as my 2nd ESA. They said another cat would be fine since I had a doctors note. But..I didnt get a goat and I didn't push it but I damn sure let them know they can't do to me what they did to these poor old folks that had to get rid of one of their dogs because they didn't know any better.

Pisses me off when people take advantage of those who don't know and suffer for it.
You have your friend look at the laws in her state. Get a note from her doc for BOTH DOGS, and she is NOT call them "pets". Call them Emotional Support Animals. Then get on a waiting list for HUD. And if winding up homeless WITH her 2 furkids..buy a van. She can live in it with them until a place is found.

Hope that helps. And sorry for the vent. Just ticks me off. So many people here have told me horror stories of having to give up their 12 year old dog and only keep ONE that was older and blind. Because she didn't know.

People also ask
Can I have 4 emotional support animals?
You can have more than one ESA. ... As long as the animal(s) does not violate any state or local laws and your therapist agrees your ESAs are there for your well-being, you can have more than one emotional support animal. The number of emotional support animals you have must also make sense.
Can I Have 2 Emotional Support Animals? | Service Dog Certifications
www.servicedogcertifications.org › 2-emotional-support-a...

Search for: Can I have 4 emotional support animals?
Can Hoa deny emotional support animals?

Feedback
Web results

Girl-with-her-emotional-support-dog - ESA Doctors
esadoctors.com › emotional-support-animal-florida › gi...

Aug 6, 2019 - Girl-with-her-emotional-support-dog ... How to Verify a Request for an Emotional Support Animal: A Guide for Landlords and Tenants August 7, ...

Emotional Support Animal Laws You Should Know - ESA ...
esadoctors.com › esa-laws

Under two Federal Emotional Support Animal Laws, people with disabilities are granted special access to Housing and Air Travel for their animals.

A landlord cannot deny an ESA simply because they do not allow pets. No, your landlord cannot evict you because they do not want you to have an ESA. This is in direct violation of Fair Housing regulations. You are required to request reasonable accommodations for your ESA before bringing them into your apartment.

We should have no homeless problem in our First World economy. There is no provision for excuses in our federal doctrine. Our welfare clause is General and we have a commerce clause in particular that implies market friendly solutions.
Unless you are willing to use governmental force, you will always have a homeless problem. There are some people who are simply either not willing, or unable to maintain a stable life. In my time on skid row, I came to know a number of panhandlers who had corners there. To a man they considered me a fool for holding down a regular job and paying taxes. They claimed to average over a hundred dollars a day and at least one had a car and a apartment not far from downtown. At the time I was making less than ten dollars an hour before taxes. I have sympathy for the mentally ill, I even have some sympathy for the substance abusers, I have no sympathy for the bums and panhandlers. The only way to get the homeless off the street is to arrest them and confine them in some kind of restricted access housing.
I agree to disagree. Equal protection of the laws for unemployment compensation in our At-Will employment States is all it should require to solve our homeless problem. With recourse to an income that solves for capitalism's natural rate of unemployment more persons could be circulating more capital and engaging in market friendly participation instead of crime and homelessness.

A person who is disabled or on limited Social Security only gets about $800.00 a month to live off of. My friend's rent is $500.00 a month and that is cheap when compared to rent in her SC area and would be even if she were here in this poverty stricken area of Iowa. I know some may think just move into some subsidized housing but most of those do not allow pets and she has two well trained dogs that are her constant companions. I know I would not give up my dog if we had a landlord letting us know he was kicking us out
Illegal. They can't say no if those two dogs are ESA. Emotional Support Animals. BOTH of them are ESA and if she can get a letter from her doc, they cannot say no to them. CANNOT. ILLEGAL. Look it up. Have HER look it up. Have her look for HUD housing. If they say only ONE dog, ILLEGAL. ONE dog does not encompass ESA needs because ESA needs are not just one problem. Emotions are a multitude of things and if it takes TWO dogs to keep her emotionally stable, then TWO dogs it is. She can sue anyone that says otherwise.

I was homeless too, for 4 months. I did find places we could rent temporarily but they said no to my dog. So I stayed homeless. Fuck them and their bullshit. My dog was my ESA and I have the letter in my purse at all times. She went in stores with me, grocery stores, restaurants...anywhere I went, she went. And she was not a 20 dog either. She was a yellow lab that weighed 75 lbs.

Where I am currently right this minute, is in a HUD apt complex for seniors. I hate it. HOWEVER, its a roof for now. They said ONE cat or ONE dog, no more than 25 lbs. I told them "wanna run that by me again? You DO know I am retired from 45+ years of property management, right?"
I moved in with one cat because the other one died prior to moving here. Manager said only one cat anyway. I said Gosh, I think I will get a goat as my 2nd ESA. They said another cat would be fine since I had a doctors note. But..I didnt get a goat and I didn't push it but I damn sure let them know they can't do to me what they did to these poor old folks that had to get rid of one of their dogs because they didn't know any better.

Pisses me off when people take advantage of those who don't know and suffer for it.
You have your friend look at the laws in her state. Get a note from her doc for BOTH DOGS, and she is NOT call them "pets". Call them Emotional Support Animals. Then get on a waiting list for HUD. And if winding up homeless WITH her 2 furkids..buy a van. She can live in it with them until a place is found.

Hope that helps. And sorry for the vent. Just ticks me off. So many people here have told me horror stories of having to give up their 12 year old dog and only keep ONE that was older and blind. Because she didn't know.
Very good info to know!!!!!

I will let her know this as that may help her. I'm sure she would love a van and now having the knowledge she cannot depend on keeping a home rented and perhaps if another stimulus check comes out she can use that towards one.

Oh...and not one NOT ONE local church...any denomination, offered help. Wouldnt let us park there at night. Catholic church flat out said NO WAY. Finally, an espicopal church said ok, but wanted us as slave labor. I did what I could but my hands wouldnt work half the time. I felt uncomfortable there. So we went to our vet we had for my dog and he said OF CCOURSE. Even gave us an extension cord to use a small heater on cold nights.
Gracie, I wish you had gotten in touch with us 40 years ago when you should have been providing for your retirement

now its a little late

No one has yet noticed that homelessness of the drug addicted has increased right along with the interest in legalizing drugs. Hey. It worked in Portugal right?

No one has yet noticed that homelessness of the drug addicted has increased right along with the interest in legalizing drugs. Hey. It worked in Portugal right?
We also have those on legalized pharmaceuticals that cannot cope either. Nothing like a dose of Prozac or its relative drugs to get a child started in the right direction.

I am not sure what you mean.

The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration reported today that cannabis legalization and taxation in the state came in the nick of time. Just when the state is under extreme fiscal pressure, cannabis is pulling through: Cannabis tax revenues in the second quarter soared 32.6% from a year ago, to another record of $208.4 million (not including revenues collected by cities and counties). And this during the Pandemic!

We also have those on legalized pharmaceuticals that cannot cope either. Nothing like a dose of Prozac or its relative drugs to get a child started in the right direction.
It is one form of coping. Solving for simple economic poverty promotes the general welfare with a positive multiplier effect. Automatic stabilization could be more of a priority.

Legalized pharmaceuticals ARE the problem. The more legalized drugs we have the worse the mentally ill and drug addicted homeless problem will be.

Legalized pharmaceuticals ARE the problem. The more legalized drugs we have the worse the mentally ill and drug addicted homeless problem will be.
Drugs are not the problem. Drugs are a coping mechanism. The underlying conditions conducive to inequality are the problem.

Drugs are not the problem. Drugs are a coping mechanism. The underlying conditions conducive to inequality are the problem.
Ohh A COPING mechanism. Take up knitting. There is no equality in.a free society.

Ohh A COPING mechanism. Take up knitting. There is no equality in.a free society.
Bearing false witness and practicing the abomination of hypocrisy can also be coping mechanism; should those persons take up knitting, instead? Ten simple Commandments from God not the Expense of Government on Earth could be solved, according to You, by taking up knitting.

Bearing false witness and practicing the abomination of hypocrisy can also be coping mechanism; should those persons take up knitting, instead? Ten simple Commandments from God not the Expense of Government on Earth could be solved, according to You, by taking up knitting.
If you have to piously resort to religion you have already lost. Your entire difficulty with reality is that your fingers don't smell like pussy. As you have admitted time and again.

If you have to piously resort to religion you have already lost. Your entire difficulty with reality is that your fingers don't smell like pussy. As you have admitted time and again.
Should I ask homeless women to befriend me tso hey can help me get really really good at full body massage?

Should I ask homeless women to befriend me tso hey can help me get really really good at full body massage?
Why yes. Yes. You should. And pay them well. It's your only chance.

Why yes. Yes. You should. And pay them well. It's your only chance.
I love capital based morality under Capitalism. It is soo much more consistent than social morality for free under Capitalism.

Forum List

Back