Homeless people could lose the right to sleep on sidewalks if Western cities have their way

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
As California and other states in the West continue to wrestle with an explosion of homelessness, a growing number of local governments have set their sights on a court decision that has allowed people to legally bed down on sidewalks overnight.

On Wednesday, the city of Los Angeles will join L.A. County and dozens of other municipalities in submitting an amicus brief urging the U.S. Supreme Court to hear a challenge to Martin vs. City of Boise — a landmark lawsuit involving seven homeless people who were cited for camping on public property in Boise, Idaho.

If the court were to take up the case, which is far from certain, it could reverse a decision by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that has prevented cities and counties from sending law enforcement to enforce ordinances to shoo away homeless people or to clear their encampments.
Homeless people could lose the right to sleep on sidewalks if Western cities have their way

Then build them houses. It's really simple.

As California and other states in the West continue to wrestle with an explosion of homelessness, a growing number of local governments have set their sights on a court decision that has allowed people to legally bed down on sidewalks overnight.

On Wednesday, the city of Los Angeles will join L.A. County and dozens of other municipalities in submitting an amicus brief urging the U.S. Supreme Court to hear a challenge to Martin vs. City of Boise — a landmark lawsuit involving seven homeless people who were cited for camping on public property in Boise, Idaho.

If the court were to take up the case, which is far from certain, it could reverse a decision by the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that has prevented cities and counties from sending law enforcement to enforce ordinances to shoo away homeless people or to clear their encampments.

cons don't want to pay for housing for the homeless.

cons don't want the homeless getting away with sleeping in the woods for free.

cons want the homeless arrested or eliminated......

but if they are arrested cons will end up paying for their jail time.....which they don't want to do....so I guess elimination is the only option that cons will accept.....

"all life is precious" conservatives like killing people.....

apparently millions of homeless are veterans....

donald trump "I only like veterans who are NOT homeless"

I always thought conservatives supported the military and veterans.....but it seems they want to kill homeless vets.....

Normally I would pass this thread up like a freight train passes a tramp, but I feel like I need to say something...

You have to be fucking kidding me!!!

but if they are arrested cons will end up paying for their jail time.....which they don't want to do....so I guess elimination is the only option that cons will accept.....

I always thought conservatives supported the military and veterans.....but it seems they want to kill homeless vets.....
State Rep. Tom Brower, a five-term Democrat who represents Waikiki and Ala Moana, had been going block by block during his spare time in search of stray shopping carts used by the state’s estimated 17,000 homeless people, smashing them to pieces. The tool-toting legislator, who says he's "disgusted" with people who live on the street, reportedly smashed 30 carts in the past two weeks.
Hawaii lawmaker pounded for taking sledgehammer to homelessness

Really? Why is allowing camping on the street a good thing? Why not instead, find out WHY everything costs so much? Like say, petrochemicals or pharmaceuticals or anything in between...costs so much? I can't reroof my house, or pay a plumber without them ripping me off one way or the other. This exploitation has to end...The political corruption has to end, too.

Last edited:

Show us all the way. Prog homes could take in millions of people. You can do it. Now your guilt is gone.

Really? Why is allowing camping on the street a good thing? Why not instead, find out WHY everything costs so much? Like say, petrochemicals or pharmaceuticals or anything in between...costs so much? I can't reroof my house, or pay a plumber without them ripping me off one way or the other. This exploitation has to end...The political corruption has to end, too.

Some of those people are mentally ill, some of them are drug addicts-some of them became drug addicts after they became homeless, some of them are families that can't afford housing, some of them lost their jobs---jobs were outsourced or off-shored and they haven't recovered. Some of them are low functioning.

Even if we pretend there is enough shelter space, people don't want to stay in them because when one person is ill the entire shelter becomes ill.
Camping on the streets is not a good thing. But, this whole concept of out of sight, out of mind is not working, in fact, if you are looking for a definition of evil that's it.

Show us all the way. Prog homes could take in millions of people. You can do it. Now your guilt is gone.
So, if we remove party jibber-jabber
Can Homelessness Programs Make Money -- and Should They?

Forum List

Back