Hockey. Is anything worse?

Golf: I've never played the sport. But, once in a great while I'll tune into Sunday at the Masters, US Open or British Open.
I like to play disc golf. Same strategy, it's free ( or donate a few bucks in the slot), you can drink beer and smoke weed, and 18 holes is a decent walk. Favorite courses: Delaveaga in Santa Cruz, Community Forest in Arcata, North Tahoe Regional Park.

Hockey: in college we used to rent an ice skating rink in the middle of the night and play broom ball in sneakers. That was fun. Re-enforce a broom with duct tape, play with a rubber ball, lots of slide tackles

There was a time when to me if a fight broke out I considered it a good game. If there was a big brawl it was a great game. I knew nothing about the game, didn't play it growing up like baseball, football, etc., so that was the basis of my idiotic way of looking at it.

Later on though two of my sons got interested in hockey so that's when I got interested in learning about the game in terms of players' positions and their respective responsibilites, rules, different systems, strategies, etc., etc. After a while I knew it just about as well as the sports I played growing up, and now it's a toss up whether it or football is my favorite. IMO it's a fantastic game that requires as much or maybe more skill to be good at it than other popular sports.

Never understood hockey. Never care to try.

I did once go to a minor-league game .

There was arguing and fighting on the bus ride over. Arguing and fighting at the game (complete with dead octopus on the ice). Arguing and fighting on the bus ride home.

Sup wit dat shit? :dunno:

Was the team bus or your bus ride and in the stands or on the ice?

Hockey. What the f? My regular programming gets pre-emptied for the San Jose Sharks. Is that even a professional team? It doesn't ever freeze here. Who could possibly care about hockey in California? There's about 8 people tuning in to the radio broadcast.
If you like hockey, that's fine. It just has no place here. No offense to the Mckensie brothers.

What was your favorite program that got per-emptied....Synchronized Swimming or auto racing.

Actually all three California hockey teams have a very large following, synchronized swimming not so much.

There was a time when to me if a fight broke out I considered it a good game. If there was a big brawl it was a great game. I knew nothing about the game, didn't play it growing up like baseball, football, etc., so that was the basis of my idiotic way of looking at it.

Later on though two of my sons got interested in hockey so that's when I got interested in learning about the game in terms of players' positions and their respective responsibilites, rules, different systems, strategies, etc., etc. After a while I knew it just about as well as the sports I played growing up, and now it's a toss up whether it or football is my favorite. IMO it's a fantastic game that requires as much or maybe more skill to be good at it than other popular sports.

I agree, unlike football where a player is on the field actually playing the game at about 10 minutes a game, the rest of the time the players are standing around pulling their crotches.
Hockey the players are at near to full speed about 25 minutes a game.
Pro Basketball with 25+ time outs makes the sport extremely slow and boring. In fact I can't understand how the players ever work up a sweat with so much down time.

What other sport would do/allow this? Twice no less.

Macon, GA and another Macon somewhere in Canada had minor league hockey teams named the Macon Whoopee!

I'm still wracked with disbelief that any professional team in any sport actually named itself the "Mighty Ducks"...

Rhythmic gymnastics are equally as bad. Riding fast bikes is quite good. Never found a thing to beat formation freefall.

Is it UC Santa Cruz that are the Banana Slugs?

Roooooll Tide coming from the fans sounds better than Go Slugs! IMO. But it's hard to beat South Carolina's...Go Cocks!

Yes, UCSC are the Banana Slugs. As you can imagine, they are terrible at all sports. Even the women's teams are horrible, despite the 60% lesbian quotient.

Humboldt State ( my alma mater ) is the Lumberjacks. Girls teams are called the Lumberjills. The most popular fashion there is lumbersexual, which I understand is becoming popular everywhere and beginning to supplant metrosexuality. Humboldt State has a good ultimate frisbee and Rugby team. Every couple of years there is a campaign to change the mascot to something more environmental sounding, but that always fails. My suggestion would be the Greenmen, but that's sexist.

Is it UC Santa Cruz that are the Banana Slugs?

Roooooll Tide coming from the fans sounds better than Go Slugs! IMO. But it's hard to beat South Carolina's...Go Cocks!

Yes, UCSC are the Banana Slugs. As you can imagine, they are terrible at all sports. Even the women's teams are horrible, despite the 60% lesbian quotient.

Humboldt State ( my alma mater ) is the Lumberjacks. Girls teams are called the Lumberjills. The most popular fashion there is lumbersexual, which I understand is becoming popular everywhere and beginning to supplant metrosexuality. Humboldt State has a good ultimate frisbee and Rugby team. Every couple of years there is a campaign to change the mascot to something more environmental sounding, but that always fails. My suggestion would be the Greenmen, but that's sexist.

Only in California....

Forum List

Back