historical qoutes and speeches

Do you honestly think working and paying your bills was what Kennedy was talking about when he said "ask not..."? That's absurd. It's the same non-logic that allowed Mitt Romney to counter the fact that not a single one of his sons served in the military in a military action that he wants others' sons to fight, by saying "they are serving their country, they're working on my campaign". ... Ridiculous.

Kennedy was talking about the Peace Corps... about public service... about helping people... the exact polar opposite of what you're talking about. He was talking about altruism. You are talking about self-involvement.

So, when you bemoan the democrats somehow not following Kennedy's words, you probably should understand what he was talking about.

Ohh I see, so since Obama has not served in the Military nor in Combat should we disqualify him as well as Mitt Romney because his sons chose not to serve in the military? Last I checked the military was an ALL VOLUNTEER force. Using YOUR logic you should be voting for McCain since he is the ONLY candidate to have served in the military and Combat.

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”
Martin Luther King, Jr. quotes (American Baptist Minister and Civil-Rights Leader. 1929-1968)

And yet the fact is we DO spend more on social programs then the military YEAR AFTER YEAR. Or do we need to bust out the pie graph for you again, the one that even in the time of war has the social programs over and above the military budget?

The single largest portion of our national expense ( Budget) goes to Social Programs and has for MANY YEARS.

I see recognizing a social responsibility to minimize your burden on government as doing for your country.

You think Democrats are encouraging people to depend on government? They want to allow people to lean on the government when they need to do so, not to encourage people to do so. By the way, look at the wealth of all those liberal commie far left fags. Those people who support social programs generally won't ever have a need for them (except perhaps the ones aimed at the middle/upper class...student loans and the like). We are supporting these NOT so that the country can support us, but so that we can help support the country. Are you willing to do the same?

You bet, but I'd be curious if you mean more opportunites or more equal outcomes.

I mean what I said.

By opposite as I noted to Jillian my focus would be on "ask not what your country can do for you" which means not looking to government for all the answers, while today government seems to want to provide all the answers.

Well today's government is a Republican administration. But besides that, I asked, exactly WHAT Democrats do or advocate for that are the opposite of JFK's words. I'm not asking for these generalized statements like "government seems to want to provide all the answers". Give me specifics.

Ohh I see, so since Obama has not served in the Military nor in Combat should we disqualify him as well as Mitt Romney because his sons chose not to serve in the military? Last I checked the military was an ALL VOLUNTEER force. Using YOUR logic you should be voting for McCain since he is the ONLY candidate to have served in the military and Combat.

She didn't say that Romney should be disqualified since his sons didn't serve in the military. Try reading before you respond. She said that them working on his campaign is not public service.

She didn't say that Romney should be disqualified since his sons didn't serve in the military. Try reading before you respond. She said that them working on his campaign is not public service.

And she said MORE than that or are YOU being purposefully blind? Ohh wait never mind, I know the answer to that question.

And she said MORE than that or are YOU being purposefully blind? Ohh wait never mind, I know the answer to that question.

That was the only part of her post which ONLY involved the military. The other parts involved other types of public service, which Obama has done for much of his life.

That was the only part of her post which ONLY involved the military. The other parts involved other types of public service, which Obama has done for much of his life.

So your claiming she did not say this?

That's absurd. It's the same non-logic that allowed Mitt Romney to counter the fact that not a single one of his sons served in the military in a military action that he wants others' sons to fight, by saying "they are serving their country, they're working on my campaign". ... Ridiculous.

And that it has no meaning at all about Romney's fitness to lead?

I see willful ignorance and character assassination are still your forte.

LMFAO...Again. This is amazing...If I were to try and write the perfect post for me to ridicule and respond too, I don't think I could have done better than you did RGS. Kudos!

So...please explain how you can justify accusing me of character assassination when your last post contained exactly NO substance and ONLY insults?

LMFAO...Again. This is amazing...If I were to try and write the perfect post for me to ridicule and respond too, I don't think I could have done better than you did RGS. Kudos!

So...please explain how you can justify accusing me of character assassination when your last post contained exactly NO substance and ONLY insults?

My post contains all the substance of what we are discussing, your attempts to character assassinate others. Except for your pavlovic responses you would be a laugh riot.

Edouard Daladier, Premier of France, delivered this radio address to the people of France on January 29, 1940, after the Nazis had conquered Poland and just a few months before Hitler's armies attacked France.

At the end of five months of war one thing has become more and more clear. It is that Germany seeks to establish a domination over the world completely different from any known in history.

The domination at which the Nazis aim is not limited to the displacement of the balance of power and the imposition of supremacy of one nation. It seeks the systematic and total destruction of those conquered by Hitler, and it does not treaty with the nations which he has subdued. He destroys them. He takes from them their whole political and economic existence and seeks even to deprive them of their history and their culture. He wishes to consider them only as vital space and a vacant territory over which he has every right.

The human beings who constitute these nations are for him only cattle. He orders their massacre or their migration. He compels them to make room for their conquerors. He does not even take the trouble to impose any war tribute on them. He just takes all their wealth, and, to prevent any revolt, he wipes out their leaders and scientifically seeks the physical and moral degradation of those whose independence he has taken away.

Under this domination, in thousands of towns and villages in Europe there are millions of human beings now living in misery which, some months ago, they could never have imagined. Austria, Bohemia, Slovakia and Poland are only lands of despair. Their whole peoples have been deprived of the means of moral and material happiness. Subdued by treachery or brutal violence, they have no other recourse than to work for their executioners who grant them scarcely enough to assure the most miserable existence.

There is being created a world of masters and slaves in the image of Germany herself. For, while Germany is crushing beneath her tyranny the men of every race and language, she is herself being crushed beneath her own servitude and her domination mania. The German worker and peasant are the slaves of their Nazi masters while the worker and peasant of Bohemia and Poland have become in turn slaves of these slaves. Before this first realization of a mad dream, the whole world might shudder.

Nazi propaganda is entirely founded on the exploitation of the weakness of the human heart. It does not address itself to the strong or the heroic. It tells the rich they are going to lose their money. It tells the worker this is a rich man's war. It tells the intellectual and the artist that all he cherished is being destroyed by war. It tells the lover of good things that soon he would have none of them. It says to the Christian believer: "How can you accept this massacre?" It tells the adventurer - "a man like you should profit by the misfortunes of your country."

It is those who speak this way who have destroyed or confiscated all the wealth they could lay their hands on, who have reduced their workers to slavery, who have ruined all intellectual liberty, who have imposed terrible privations on millions of men and women and who have made murder their law. What do contradictions matter to them if they can lower the resistance of those who wish to bar the path of their ambitions to be masters of the world?

For us there is more to do than merely win the war. We shall win it, but we must also win a victory far greater than that of arms. In this world of masters and slaves, which those madmen who rule at Berlin are seeking to forge, we must also save liberty and human dignity.

Edouard Daladier - January 29, 1940

Dr. Johannes B. Koeppl, Ph.D. Former German Defense Ministry Official and Advisor to former NATO Secretary General Manfred Werner. 6th November, 2001
"The interests behind the Bush Administration, such as the CFR, The Trilateral Commission - founded by Zbigniew Brzezinski for David Rockefeller - and the Bilderberg Group, have prepared for and are now moving to implement open world dictatorship within the next five years. They are not fighting against terrorists. They are fighting against citizens."

Tam Dalyell Labour MP, Father of the House of Commons and one of the leading rebel voices against war with Iraq. September 2002
"This is garbage from right-wing think-tanks stuffed with chicken-hawks -- men who have never seen the horror of war but are in love with the idea of war. Men like Cheney, who were draft-dodgers in the Vietnam war. 'This is a blueprint for US world domination -- a New World Order of their making. These are the thought processes of fantasist Americans who want to control the world. I am appalled that a British Labour Prime Minister should have got into bed with a crew which has this moral standing."

sundayherald UK September 15th, 2002

God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

Haaretz - Israeli paper June 26th, 2003
Washington Post June 27th, 2003

Lincoln 16th President of U.S.: 1861~1865. In a letter written to William Elkin less than five months before he was assassinated Nov. 21st, 1864
"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed."

Founder & Honorary Chairman of Trilateral Commission, Honorary Chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations. Written in his 2002 autobiography 'Memoirs' [pp 405]
"For more than a century, ideological extremists at either end of the political spectrum have seized upon well-publicized incidents to attack the Rockefeller family for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over American political and economic institutions. Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as "internationalists" and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure - one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."
http://www.911kemet.co.uk/nwoquotes.html

My post contains all the substance of what we are discussing, your attempts to character assassinate others. Except for your pavlovic responses you would be a laugh riot.

We were discussing what Jillian said. I said "It has meaning regarding the fact that "he wants others' sons to fight"." You ignored that, and instead attacked me about...the nerve of it all, character assassination. Man...really, get with it.

What on earth are you talking about??? We were discussing Kennedy's admonition to "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country...." When you were in school, didn't they ever do exercises with you where you had to find the "main idea" of a paragraph. You might want to work on that skill, since it's clearly something you're lacking.

You always totally miss the boat. There are real issues, real ideas and real genuine disagreements to discuss. Try it sometime although I'm not really sure you're capable.

Also, try actually reading... it's generally pretty helpful.

What on earth are you talking about??? We were discussing Kennedy's admonition to "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country...." When you were in school, didn't they ever do exercises with you where you had to find the "main idea" of a paragraph. You might want to work on that skill, since it's clearly something you're lacking.

You always totally miss the boat. There are real issues, real ideas and real genuine disagreements to discuss. Try it sometime although I'm not really sure you're capable.

Also, try actually reading... it's generally pretty helpful.

Sure thing, your post had all about claiming that because Romney did not compel his sons to join the military and go to Iraq they were not in fact serving their Country. They can and do serve in other manners JUST as MILLIONS of Americans do also. The political process is IN FACT serving the Country. You have no problem seeing that when it regards a draft dodging former President, but have a problem when it concerns the sons of a candidate from a party you do not support. I got the message clear as a bell.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

It is from the 1800s I believe...

Advice, like youth, probably just wasted on the young by Mary Schmich

Inside every adult lurks a graduation speaker dying to get out, some world-weary pundit eager to pontificate on life to young people who'd rather be Rollerblading. Most of us, alas, will never be invited to sow our words of wisdom among an audience of caps and gowns, but there's no reason we can't entertain ourselves by composing a Guide to Life for Graduates.

I encourage anyone over 26 to try this and thank you for indulging my attempt.

Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97:

Wear sunscreen.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-970601sunscreen.column?coll=chi-news-col

From the Chicago Tribune

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

It is from the 1800s I believe...

Sounds like Marx but is this a trick? Lincoln?

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

by Max Ehrmann

Forum List

Back