Hispanic group to GOP: Watch your language

well how lovely, now they are telling us how we can use our FREEDOM OF SPEECH

They don't like the language in this country, they are always FREE TO LEAVE

Are you trying to start another-----another in what's becoming a long string of interlocking circular Republican firing squads? Is this your strategy for building a bigger tent? I would LOL, but today's Republican party is even to pathetic to mock.

As is so often the case, Republican's can't be depended on to do the right thing but-----but hocus-pocus (see Frank Luntz) language -- no problem.

Hispanic group to GOP congressmen: Watch your language - The Hill's Ballot Box

By Cameron Joseph
01/28/13

A leading GOP Hispanic group has a message for Republicans as Congress begins debate on immigration: Watch your language.

The Hispanic Leadership Network... <snip>

"Tone and rhetoric will be key... <snip>

Many Republican operatives have been as or more worried about their party's rhetoric on immigration and immigrants than their actual policy positions... <snip>

The memo suggests that Republican senators and congressmen refer to "undocumented immigrant" rather than "illegals" or "aliens" and that they never use the phrase "anchor babies." It also warns Republicans against using the term "amnesty" to describe the plan, and suggests attacking President Obama for not pushing earlier for a plan.

Here's the full list:
"When engaging in conversation or doing an interview on immigration reform:
Do acknowledge that 'Our current immigration system is broken and we need to fix it'
Don’t begin with 'We are against amnesty'
Note: Most everyone is against amnesty and this is interpreted as being against any reform.​

"When talking about a solution for the millions here without documentation who could qualify to get in line first with a temporary visa, then legal residence and finally citizenship:
Do use the phrase 'earned legal status'
Don't use the phrase 'pathway to citizenship'
Note: This has a different meaning and can denote getting in front of the line to get citizenship – this is not true. Most Republicans and Democrats, along with 70% of Americans, support a fair system by which those who are undocumented can come forward, register with the government, pass a background check, pay a fine, learn English and get legal status first – that is earned legal status, not automatic citizenship.​

"When addressing securing our borders:
Do use the wording 'enforcement of our borders includes more border patrol, technology, and building a fence where it makes sense'
Don't use phrases like 'send them all back,' electric fence,' 'build a wall along the entire border'​

"When talking about immigrants:
Do use 'undocumented immigrant' when referring to those here without documentation
Don't use the word 'illegals' or 'aliens'
Don't use the term 'anchor baby'​

"When addressing amnesty and earned legal status:
Do acknowledge that the true meaning of amnesty is to pardon without any penalty
Don't label earned legal status as amnesty
Don't characterize all Hispanics as undocumented and all undocumented as Hispanics​

"When broadly addressing reforms:
Do acknowledge that President Obama broke his promise and failed to propose any immigration reform for five years, while using this issue as a political wedge
Do talk about the issues you support like overhauling the bureaucratic visa system, creating a viable temporary worker program, a workable e-verify system, and border security
Don’t focus on amnesty as a tenet of immigration reform
Don't use President Reagan's immigration reform as an example applicable today
Note: That legislation was true amnesty; in addition, border security, fixing our visa system, and a temporary worker program were parts of the reform which were never implemented."

You know what Star? Even if it means never winning another election I don't think Republicans should kiss up to the assholes who broke into this country, comitted ID fraud, break all the rules and take our resources, so a nice kindly FUCK you would be in order.

Sure I know what WillowTree, thanks for asking, I know if you Republicans don't get your 'stuff' figured
out-----figured out pretty damn quick, it does mean y'all'll never win another national election and-----and I for one think the USofA will be better off for it.

I think even WillowTree will agree, losers lose---thanks for the pre-election concession speech.

They are advising the GOP on how to phrase things in order to not alienate hispanic voters. This is no different that the talking points memos that get circulated. The fact is they make valid points, sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it and too often the dems paint republicans into a corner that they can't find their way out of.

This group is pro-conservative, and they are striving to bring over more Hispanics into the GOP fold. It's amusing to me that the response from fellow republicans is "fuck off".

There shouldn't be anything offensive about calling immigrants that break the law "illegals". Seems to me that particular word has hit a sore spot among those who have CHOSEN to sneak into this country rather than go through customs like every other immigrant. if anything, Hispanics are receiving "favoritism" in how they are treated:

1. Blanket forgiveness "Amnesty" instead of going to the back of the line or being deported, like every other foreign country immigrant who breaks the law.
2. Sanctuary cities that protect lawbreakers from deportation by the Federal Government.
3. Signs in Spanish and English found on highways, public facilities, and phone selections. Which seams insignificant except Canadians speak French, so where is THEIR alternative assistance to learning English? Oh, that's right, many of them make an honest effort to learn the language of the country they wish to reside in..... and have actually migrated into this country "legally".

If anything immigrants spending sometimes YEARS just to go through all the security and process of attaining proper documentation to enter this country "legally", ought to be down right offended by all the special privileged treatment ONE particular group of immigrants are being treated - and yes I'm going to say it ..... Mexicans. if the truth hurts, then let them be angry that they have done it to themselves. If anyone should be outraged, it's the Canadians, the Europeans, the Asians, the Australians, the Arabs, the Africans, and every other immigrant they have railroaded and backstabbed with the Hispanics "silvery spoon" immigration preferred treatment and favoritism. Lets hear from these Hispanics, that would care to talk to these other foreign immigrants about that!! Let's see where the REAL anger ought to be properly placed then!

Last edited:
As is so often the case, Republican's can't be depended on to do the right thing but-----but hocus-pocus (see Frank Luntz) language -- no problem.

Hispanic group to GOP congressmen: Watch your language - The Hill's Ballot Box

By Cameron Joseph
01/28/13

A leading GOP Hispanic group has a message for Republicans as Congress begins debate on immigration: Watch your language.

The Hispanic Leadership Network... <snip>

"Tone and rhetoric will be key... <snip>

Many Republican operatives have been as or more worried about their party's rhetoric on immigration and immigrants than their actual policy positions... <snip>

The memo suggests that Republican senators and congressmen refer to "undocumented immigrant" rather than "illegals" or "aliens" and that they never use the phrase "anchor babies." It also warns Republicans against using the term "amnesty" to describe the plan, and suggests attacking President Obama for not pushing earlier for a plan.

Here's the full list:
"When engaging in conversation or doing an interview on immigration reform:
Do acknowledge that 'Our current immigration system is broken and we need to fix it'
Don’t begin with 'We are against amnesty'
Note: Most everyone is against amnesty and this is interpreted as being against any reform.​

"When talking about a solution for the millions here without documentation who could qualify to get in line first with a temporary visa, then legal residence and finally citizenship:
Do use the phrase 'earned legal status'
Don't use the phrase 'pathway to citizenship'
Note: This has a different meaning and can denote getting in front of the line to get citizenship – this is not true. Most Republicans and Democrats, along with 70% of Americans, support a fair system by which those who are undocumented can come forward, register with the government, pass a background check, pay a fine, learn English and get legal status first – that is earned legal status, not automatic citizenship.​

"When addressing securing our borders:
Do use the wording 'enforcement of our borders includes more border patrol, technology, and building a fence where it makes sense'
Don't use phrases like 'send them all back,' electric fence,' 'build a wall along the entire border'​

"When talking about immigrants:
Do use 'undocumented immigrant' when referring to those here without documentation
Don't use the word 'illegals' or 'aliens'
Don't use the term 'anchor baby'​

"When addressing amnesty and earned legal status:
Do acknowledge that the true meaning of amnesty is to pardon without any penalty
Don't label earned legal status as amnesty
Don't characterize all Hispanics as undocumented and all undocumented as Hispanics​

"When broadly addressing reforms:
Do acknowledge that President Obama broke his promise and failed to propose any immigration reform for five years, while using this issue as a political wedge
Do talk about the issues you support like overhauling the bureaucratic visa system, creating a viable temporary worker program, a workable e-verify system, and border security
Don’t focus on amnesty as a tenet of immigration reform
Don't use President Reagan's immigration reform as an example applicable today
Note: That legislation was true amnesty; in addition, border security, fixing our visa system, and a temporary worker program were parts of the reform which were never implemented."

You know what Star? Even if it means never winning another election I don't think Republicans should kiss up to the assholes who broke into this country, comitted ID fraud, break all the rules and take our resources, so a nice kindly FUCK you would be in order.

Sure I know what WillowTree, thanks for asking, I know if you Republicans don't get your 'stuff' figured
out-----figured out pretty damn quick, it does mean y'all'll never win another national election and-----and I for one think the USofA will be better off for it.

I think even WillowTree will agree, losers lose---thanks for the pre-election concession speech.

Personally I don't believe Republicans ought to cater and condone those who willfully break Federal Law. For the sake of the other immigrants who wait years to become citizens of the United States "legally", I hope amnesty doesn't pass and therefor "cheapens" the efforts of those who attain citizenship legally. For Democrats it's all about votes, they could care less about following Federal Law if it stands in the way of retaining their political power.

They are advising the GOP on how to phrase things in order to not alienate hispanic voters. This is no different that the talking points memos that get circulated. The fact is they make valid points, sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it and too often the dems paint republicans into a corner that they can't find their way out of.

This group is pro-conservative, and they are striving to bring over more Hispanics into the GOP fold. It's amusing to me that the response from fellow republicans is "fuck off".

There shouldn't be anything offensive about calling immigrants that break the law "illegals". Seems to me that particular word has hit a sore spot among those who have CHOSEN to sneak into this country rather than go through customs like every other immigrant. if anything, Hispanics are receiving "favoritism" in how they are treated:

1. Blanket forgiveness "Amnesty" instead of going to the back of the line or being deported, like every other foreign country immigrant who breaks the law.
2. Sanctuary cities that protect lawbreakers from deportation by the Federal Government.
3. Signs in Spanish and English found on highways, public facilities, and phone selections. Which seams insignificant except Canadians speak French, so where is THEIR alternative assistance to learning English? Oh, that's right, many of them make an honest effort to learn the language of the country they wish to reside in..... and have actually migrated into this country "legally".

If anything immigrants spending sometimes YEARS just to go through all the security and process of attaining proper documentation to enter this country "legally", ought to be down right offended by all the special privileged treatment ONE particular group of immigrants are being treated - and yes I'm going to say it ..... Mexicans. if the truth hurts, then let them be angry that they have done it to themselves. If anyone should be outraged, it's the Canadians, the Europeans, the Asians, the Australians, the Arabs, the Africans, and every other immigrant they have railroaded and backstabbed with the Hispanics "silvery spoon" immigration preferred treatment and favoritism. Lets hear from these Hispanics, that would care to talk to these other foreign immigrants about that!! Let's see where the REAL anger ought to be properly placed then!

I think staying away from "illegal immigrants" is a good idea for the GOP. As I mentioned earlier, I've seen conversations where during the course of the interview the "illegal" gets dropped, which ends up painting the republican as anti-immigrant. The idea is to change the tone of the conversation and to not play into the dems hands.

Has nothing to do with how they speak to Hispanics but the issues they have with minorities. Hispanics americans are concerned about the same issues as other americans and amnesty for illegal aliens should concern them also as illegal aliens take jobs from them and lower wages also. They did not get hispanic votes because or the issues and not the language. and they did not lose hispanic votes because of being anti illegal aliens but on the issues. Making nice with them will not get their votes either. Issues like jobs, healthcare and education will.

Last edited:

I think staying away from "illegal immigrants" is a good idea for the GOP. As I mentioned earlier, I've seen conversations where during the course of the interview the "illegal" gets dropped, which ends up painting the republican as anti-immigrant. The idea is to change the tone of the conversation and to not play into the dems hands.

If hispanic american are that shallow, who the fuck wants their votes any way. "Illegal"is a word in the english dictioinary and it is us in our court room daily. If you don't want to be called a fool. stop being a fool. People that enter the coutry illegally are illegal aliens. End of discussion.
I don't know is "undocument immgrants" is even a word yet in the dictionary.

Where did the term &#8220;undocumented immigrants&#8221; come from?

The legal term in "illegal alien" but a pro-illegal immigration group coined the phrase to make it sound less illegal. They did not understand the word alien, and thought it meant something other than human. Pure ignorance of course.
There are two classes--citizen and alien. There are legal aliens (resident, tourist, and school) and there are illegal aliens (did not come in by legal means or overstayed their visa)
If you go to another country, you are an alien. It is just a legal term.
There are no such thing as "undocumented immigrants" our politicians come up with that thinking to outsmart everyone with this kind of terminology. There are only ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS AND LEGAL IMMIGRANTS.....SIMPLE AS THAT

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110411155122AAqEJoA

Last edited:

Forum List

Back