Hilarious slippery-slope fallacy comes true: UK to ban swords, knives

BaronVonBigmeat

Sep 20, 2005
In the world of logical fallacies, the slippery slope fallacy is one in which you argue that allowing X will inevitably lead to Y, where Y is basically X taken to a ludicrous extreme. It's quite often absurd sensationalism.

But not always. Sometimes, the slippery slope comes true. Take the UK for example, where it was widely predicted that a near-total gun ban would A) not reduce the murder rate, B) lead to knife murders, and C) lead to calls for the banning of knives, swords, and machetes. Preposterous! Oh how the gun grabbers laughed.

Ha ha.

A crackdown on the sale of swords has been launched as part of a campaign to tackle knife crime and violence.

Justice Minister Cathy Jamieson announced laws to ban swords unless sold for legitimate reasons.

Shops selling swords will need a licence, as will businesses dealing with non-domestic knives and other bladed weapons such as machetes.

The measures are the latest steps from the Scottish Executive to curb the problem of knife crime.

They come weeks after a nationwide knife amnesty.

A total of 12,645 blades - including lock knives, machetes, swords, meat cleavers, bayonets and axes - were handed in during the five-week amnesty.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/4788881.stm

In the world of logical fallacies, the slippery slope fallacy is one in which you argue that allowing X will inevitably lead to Y, where Y is basically X taken to a ludicrous extreme. It's quite often absurd sensationalism.

But not always. Sometimes, the slippery slope comes true. Take the UK for example, where it was widely predicted that a near-total gun ban would A) not reduce the murder rate, B) lead to knife murders, and C) lead to calls for the banning of knives, swords, and machetes. Preposterous! Oh how the gun grabbers laughed.

Ha ha.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/4788881.stm

After I was done laughing, I wondered exactly how on earth one were to prove legitimate reasons for owning a sword, and what do the Scottish cut their meat with now with no cleavers and knives?? I suppose they now chop wood with Sardines??

It says domestic knives are exempted. I guess a carving knife is less deadly than a Bowie knife or something.

After I was done laughing, I wondered exactly how on earth one were to prove legitimate reasons for owning a sword, and what do the Scottish cut their meat with now with no cleavers and knives?? I suppose they now chop wood with Sardines??

No, they do it with a herring.

r

I wonder when they are going to ban pointy sticks. I guess that would necessitate them burning every tree in the UK

All we really need is for some looney to run into a McDonalds and kill 5 or 6 people with a rock, or better yet his bare hands, to end all this nonsense.

And liberals are worried that conservatives are the
ones that are going to take away everyone's rights.

:duh3:

swords don't kill people ..... people kill people

soon the english long bow and cross bow will be banned

Forum List

Back