Highway Driving Practices

yes...your ignorance of physics is crystal-clear. If both are gesred correctly, they will climb the grade at EXACTLY the same speed.

yes...your ignorance of physics is crystal-clear. If both are gesred correctly, they will climb the grade at EXACTLY the same speed.
I already addressed the gearing part. You obviously suffer from a lack of reading comprehension skills. And no, even with the "right" gearing, the smaller engine will never climb the hill at the same rate. If you where correct, there would be no need for v-8s, or diesels because a boosted 4 or 6 cylinder could do the job with the "right" gearing. Unfortunately for you, that is not the case.

Have you ever heard the expression, "the passing lane"?

Are you aware that almost every state stipulates that, when driving on a multiple lane road, you must remain in the right hand lane unless you are passing or need to move left to get to your destination? It's not just courtesy, it's the law.

On many, if not most highways, the normal flow of traffic exceeds the posted speed limit. Thus, if you are traveling at the speed limit in the left ("passing") lane, you are obstructing traffic.

I commute an hour each day. 3 lanes are available each way, speed limit is 75. Amazing how many drive 65 to 70 in the left lane.

My favorite teaching method to these folks is to pull in front of them and slow up. Eventually they get the point and move to the right.

I already addressed the gearing part. You obviously suffer from a lack of reading comprehension skills. And no, even with the "right" gearing, the smaller engine will never climb the hill at the same rate. If you where correct, there would be no need for v-8s, or diesels because a boosted 4 or 6 cylinder could do the job with the "right" gearing. Unfortunately for you, that is not the case.

Actually, it is. Repeat after me: ONE HORSEPOWER EQUALS ONE HORSEPOWER! This is junior high-school stuff.

Actually, it is. Repeat after me: ONE HORSEPOWER EQUALS ONE HORSEPOWER! This is junior high-school stuff.
WOW, you really are hung up on the horsepower thing. I NEVER disagreed with your assertion. I simply said that with large loads, like that of a tractor-trailer combo, it is just not as simple as you portray it.

Forum List

Back