High Speed Chase Ends in Death - Is The Officer Guilty of Murder?

If you run from a lawful stop, you and you alone are responsible for everything that happens as a result of that action.

I hate defense lawyers who try to place the blame on anyone but their clients. If I had my way, the defense lawyers who use this tactic would go to prison, along with their clients.

What if you run from an unlawful stop?

It is CG, and people like her on boards such as this, that have gone a long way to shape my conception of today's conservative.

I wish it were otherwise, believe me.

You can always use me as a model. I seem to agree with you about half the time, which must mean all conservatives are not all bad.

If you run from a lawful stop, you and you alone are responsible for everything that happens as a result of that action.

I hate defense lawyers who try to place the blame on anyone but their clients. If I had my way, the defense lawyers who use this tactic would go to prison, along with their clients.

What if monkeys flew out your butt.

Stupid question btw.

Last edited:

Stupid question btw.

Not a stupid question, actually. What's the nature of the stop, and why is it unlawful?

Stupid question btw.

You do know that police make unlawful stops on occasion? I am pretty sure that I have the right not to be subjected to unreasonable search, and that the police do not have the right to stop anyone and everyone they feel like.

What if the person driving the car is your daughter or wife, and she is in an area where someone who has been posing as a police officer has been raping woman after stopping them on deserted roads? Would you want her to pull over just because there were flashing lights behind her, or would you prefer that she keep driving, and pull into a well lighted, and populated' location before doing so?

Something like this actually happened in California, and the police all went to the legislature after the fact and lobbied against a law that would have allowed anyone to do this. The result was a law that actually makes it a criminal act not to stop whenever you see flashing lights behind you, no matter where you are, or what is happening.

Call me an idiot if you want, but that just proves that we give police to much power, and way too much benefit of the doubt.

Focus on why the officer was chasing the guy. What had the guy done? Why was he running? Is this the type of case that is deserving of a high speed chase with the attendant risk of life to innocent civilians?

The officer has no clue why the guy would run. For all he knew there was a body in the trunk.
And for all he knew there wasn't. The prima facie in this example was a minor traffic violation. It is not as if the driver of the red car had been identifed as a dangerous felon.

A high-speed pursuit in such a situation is comparable in potential to firing shots when it is not absolutely necessary. It represents a serious hazard to life and property.

Good to see that there are those who see the driver of the red car as the one with the primary responsibility here to obey the law. The law is simple: stop when directed to do so by the police.

I am amazed by those who rationalize any blame on the police officer.

Between the two, if this incident were to actually occur, it's the police officer not the fleeing driver who would feel remorse over the deaths of the two children EVEN IF a board of inquiry exonerated the officer of all blame. And it's the scumbag driving the red car who wouldn't feel any guilt, remorse or blame over the deaths of those kids.

Good to see that there are those who see the driver of the red car as the one with the primary responsibility here to obey the law. The law is simple: stop when directed to do so by the police.

Between the two, if this incident were to actually occur, it's the police officer not the fleeing driver who would feel remorse over the deaths of the two children EVEN IF a board of inquiry exonerated the officer of all blame. And it's the scumbag driving the red car who wouldn't feel any guilt, remorse or blame over the deaths of those kids.

I keep reminding myself its California. With that in mind, its sort of like asking us about Mexican, Irish, or Zimbabwean law. California is a different planet. I can grasp US law, but California just makes it up as they go along.

Kind of stupid to ask a question about what is legal and what isn't in California, without telling us what day of the week it is and where Jupiter is in the Zodiac.

ah, but you forget, there are some on this board who believe that they have a right to not only resist arrest, but to aid in the resistance of others if they don't want to be arrested. There are even some who wish to see LEO killed for doing their jobs.

Some people are just stupid.

Stupid question btw.

You do know that police make unlawful stops on occasion? I am pretty sure that I have the right not to be subjected to unreasonable search, and that the police do not have the right to stop anyone and everyone they feel like.

What if the person driving the car is your daughter or wife, and she is in an area where someone who has been posing as a police officer has been raping woman after stopping them on deserted roads? Would you want her to pull over just because there were flashing lights behind her, or would you prefer that she keep driving, and pull into a well lighted, and populated' location before doing so?

Something like this actually happened in California, and the police all went to the legislature after the fact and lobbied against a law that would have allowed anyone to do this. The result was a law that actually makes it a criminal act not to stop whenever you see flashing lights behind you, no matter where you are, or what is happening.

Call me an idiot if you want, but that just proves that we give police to much power, and way too much benefit of the doubt.

What if, what if what if; What if the hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty3geqmLYUo[/ame]

I'm quite sure you won't know what I'm talking about but you are a textbook example of the authoritarian personality.

I'm quite sure you won't know what I'm talking about but you are a textbook example of the authoritarian personality.

and you're a textbook example of a buffoon.

Well that is the bleeding heart liberal view for sure.
Or it is the objective, common sense view?

If it were your children who were killed by a pursuit that didn't need to happen, would you still insist the pursuer was justified in initiating a well-known public hazard?

where is personal responsibility for ones actions?
Exactly.

with your line of reasoning it would encourage all to run.
In the same situation, would you run? If not, then you're special and it's everyone else who would run. Right?

Stupid question btw.

Not a stupid question, actually. What's the nature of the stop, and why is it unlawful?

The stop wasn't unlawful in this case. The OP stated as such. We could pose silly hypotheticals all day and it would be a total waste of time. What does it solve? Any judge would tell you to move on. Quit wasting the courts time.

Go to the nearest Mall.

Scream out in an authoritative voice:

"Stop right there"

See how many people freeze up, and if someone runs, why did they run?

(Don't actually try this at your local Mall, they may frown upon it)

Stupid question btw.

Yes...but only in the movies.

No...seriously...there was no search here. If you want to go off on a tangent.....fine. We could lawyer the fuck out of this till Doomsday. I'm not willing to indulge you.

Maybe keeping to the facts of this case would keep you better on track.

Stupid question btw.

The stop wasn't unlawful in this case. The OP stated as such. We could pose silly hypotheticals all day and it would be a total waste of time. What does it solve? Any judge would tell you to move on. Quit wasting the courts time.

We're not IN court. We're tossing ideas and opinions around as though it were a hypothetical. What's all up your ass about somebody asking a question? You don't have to respond if you don't want to be part of that discussion. And it's actually an interesting question.

We're not IN court. We're tossing ideas and opinions around as though it were a hypothetical. What's all up your ass about somebody asking a question? You don't have to respond if you don't want to be part of that discussion. And it's actually an interesting question.

The answer of course is, if it's an unlawful stop, you (as a reasonable law abiding citizen) pull over anyway and if you are some how injured by this unlawful stop, you sue. what do you do NOT do is run. So , all this BS about maybe it was an illegal stop are just that BS. I mean I SUPPOSE someone could hypothetically refuse to pull over for sobriety checkpoints to claiming that maybe they aren't real police. We could play that game all day long, and then some.

Forum List

Back