"He’s a small child": Utah police shot a 13-year-old autistic boy after his mother called 911 for help

Frankly....this is probably the kind of situation where police should not be first responders.

Also...it sounds like the police department are doing the right things...

The incident is being investigated by a team consisting primarily of officers from the West Valley City Police Department, according to Wilking. West Valley City is a suburb of Salt Lake City, both of which are part of Salt Lake County.
Once that investigation is complete, the information will be turned into the district attorney's office, who will conduct their own investigation, Wilking said. The city also has a civilian review board that investigates complaints regarding police conduct.

Here is another

From that article ...

"It is not clear whether the boy actually had a weapon, or exactly what threats police were said to be responding to."

So, it's too early to jump to any conclusions about what actually happened in that house.

I'd be interesting to see a more comprehensive description of this event from some other source than the British extreme-left-wing paper "The Guardian".

My gut tells me there is more to this story than what I read in this very short article.

This is where that there Google machine comes in handy..................

From US national sources.....................

And, here's some links from local news sources...................

There, is that enough sources for you that aren't from a foreign paper? By the way, the mother said that he didn't have any weapons, and the police didn't find any weapons after they shot him.

Google is your friend.

I'd be interesting to see a more comprehensive description of this event from some other source than the British extreme-left-wing paper "The Guardian".

My gut tells me there is more to this story than what I read in this very short article.

This is where that there Google machine comes in handy..................

From US national sources.....................

And, here's some links from local news sources...................

There, is that enough sources for you that aren't from a foreign paper? By the way, the mother said that he didn't have any weapons, and the police didn't find any weapons after they shot him.

Google is your friend.
Google is the leftist friend. I read each of your snippets in the CNN article. No new info. The questions still remain

Frankly....this is probably the kind of situation where police should not be first responders.

The incident is being investigated by a team consisting primarily of officers from the West Valley City Police Department, according to Wilking. West Valley City is a suburb of Salt Lake City, both of which are part of Salt Lake County.
Once that investigation is complete, the information will be turned into the district attorney's office, who will conduct their own investigation, Wilking said. The city also has a civilian review board that investigates complaints regarding police conduct.

Or not... thing is, other responders can only respond if safety can be guaranteed. It is always stupid to make big changes to a system that mostly works - this scenario is rarer than getting struck down by lightning. But of course, no one believes a system that works is one democrats even want. As was admitted in a other thread, they want a system where they can win, not a system that produces civilization.

A lot of police shootings end up when confronting a mentally ill person, and not necessarily armed. Having a team of professionals is especially important.

Or not... thing is, other responders can only respond if safety can be guaranteed. It is always stupid to make big changes to a system that mostly works - this scenario is rarer than getting struck down by lightning. But of course, no one believes a system that works is one democrats even want. As was admitted in a other thread, they want a system where they can win, not a system that produces civilization.

But DOES it mostly work?

Some departments are utilizing Crisis Intervention Teams, who recieve special training to help deal with these kinds of things (kudos them, this one area of reform that is much needed). The mother said she asked for a Crisis Intervention Team...I am not clear If that is what she got from the article.

But DOES it mostly work?

Some departments are utilizing Crisis Intervention Teams, who recieve special training to help deal with these kinds of things (kudos them, this one area of reform that is much needed). The mother said she asked for a Crisis Intervention Team...I am not clear If that is what she got from the article.

Of course the system mostly works - as I said rarer than a lightning strike situation.

Leftist proposals never work because they have no slightest clue what they are talking about - or even care for what works. They only want what works for them. In this case defunding the police works very well for the criminals.

But DOES it mostly work?

Of course the system mostly works - as I said rarer than a lightning strike situation.

Leftist proposals never work because they have no slightest clue what they are talking about - or even care for what works. They only want what works for them. In this case defunding the police works very well for the criminals.

I don’t think it is that rare. This is from the link I posted:

If officers don’t have proper training, confrontations involving people with mental illness can escalate quickly. This can put everyone involved in danger.
Studies show that people with mental illness are 16 times more likely to be killed by police than other suspects. According to the Washington Post, one-quarter of police shootings in 2015 involved people “in the throes of emotional or mental crisis.”
In most of these cases, the Post reported, the individual in question was armed, but police officers weren’t responding to reports of a crime. “More often, the police officers were called by relatives, neighbors or other bystanders worried that a mentally fragile person was behaving erratically,” the Post report states. “More than 50 people were explicitly suicidal.”

But DOES it mostly work?

If officers don’t have proper training, confrontations involving people with mental illness can escalate quickly. This can put everyone involved in danger.
Studies show that people with mental illness are 16 times more likely to be killed by police than other suspects. According to the Washington Post, one-quarter of police shootings in 2015 involved people “in the throes of emotional or mental crisis.”
In most of these cases, the Post reported, the individual in question was armed, but police officers weren’t responding to reports of a crime. “More often, the police officers were called by relatives, neighbors or other bystanders worried that a mentally fragile person was behaving erratically,” the Post report states. “More than 50 people were explicitly suicidal.”

No one gives a shit what you think. The official statistics show what they show. Also consider, CNN is milking each and every one of these cases.

But DOES it mostly work?

No one gives a shit what you think. The official statistics show what they show. Also consider, CNN is milking each and every one of these cases.

That link was not CNN.

The boy may have the mentality of a small child, but with him being thirteen years old now, I don't believe that he falls into the ankle biter category anymore which is how the law chose to look at him.

God bless you and him and his mother always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back