Heroin use spreads to suburbia!

JQPublic1

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
On a beautiful Sunday last October, Detective Dan Douglas stood in a suburban Minnesota home and looked down at a lifeless 20-year-old — a needle mark in his arm, a syringe in his pocket. It didn't that day.
The original photo for this article showed a Black addict using a syringe to inject something into one of his arms. That kind of imagery is misleading and trivializes the burgeoning presence of heroin in White suburbia. The photo I used depicts a scene more in line with the content of the article and is likely to attract the attention of readers who may be better suited to address the problem!
drug_addiction.jpg

"
Heroin is spreading its misery across America. And communities everywhere are indeed paying.
The death of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman spotlighted the reality that heroin is no longer limited to the back alleys of American life. Once mainly a city phenomenon, the drug has spread — gripping postcard villages in Vermont, middle-class enclaves outside Chicago, the sleek urban core of Portland, Ore., and places in between and beyond.
An emerging surbuban reality like this can no longer be swept under the rug and ignored. People who have looked down their noses at Black heroin users may now be sticking straws in the nostrils of those noses when the wagon comes around.

"Spreads to suburbia..."

"Basketball Diaries" and "Trainspotting" didn't establish that fact like 20 years ago?

"Spreads to suburbia..."

"Basketball Diaries" and "Trainspotting" didn't establish that fact like 20 years ago?
I guess the author thinks its getting worse. Did you read the linked article? The statistics
have changed dramatically in 20 years.

On a beautiful Sunday last October, Detective Dan Douglas stood in a suburban Minnesota home and looked down at a lifeless 20-year-old — a needle mark in his arm, a syringe in his pocket. It didn't that day.
The original photo for this article showed a Black addict using a syringe to inject something into one of his arms. That kind of imagery is misleading and trivializes the burgeoning presence of heroin in White suburbia. The photo I used depicts a scene more in line with the content of the article and is likely to attract the attention of readers who may be better suited to address the problem!
drug_addiction.jpg

"
Heroin is spreading its misery across America. And communities everywhere are indeed paying.
The death of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman spotlighted the reality that heroin is no longer limited to the back alleys of American life. Once mainly a city phenomenon, the drug has spread — gripping postcard villages in Vermont, middle-class enclaves outside Chicago, the sleek urban core of Portland, Ore., and places in between and beyond.
An emerging surbuban reality like this can no longer be swept under the rug and ignored. People who have looked down their noses at Black heroin users may now be sticking straws in the nostrils of those noses when the wagon comes around.

My son has dabbled with pot as a high school teenager. He is now in his senior year and he said he isn't smoking it anymore because they are now lacing it with heroin to get kids addicted to heroin, and it's working. Very quickly, heroin is becoming the drug of choice in our suburb. The bad thing is that most of these kids getting hooked on it never intended to take it to begin with.

That's some nasty crap, man. But I can remember back in the later 1970's early 1980's. We would load a joint up with PCP, hash, cannabinol. powdered THC...or mescal...but that ended in the mid 1980's...

What many people do is loose control of their habit and become addicts. Fortunately I have been able to moderate drug use to where it is merely recreational and not one of a demand that I can't control..But Heroin makes me sick, so sick I can't and don't want it...

drug_addiction.jpg

"

My son has dabbled with pot as a high school teenager. He is now in his senior year and he said he isn't smoking it anymore because they are now lacing it with heroin to get kids addicted to heroin, and it's working. Very quickly, heroin is becoming the drug of choice in our suburb. The bad thing is that most of these kids getting hooked on it never intended to take it to begin with.

Perhaps that is all the more reason to legalIize pot. Not so much as to make it safer for kids but to drive out clandestine operations who tamper with it. I would prefer that teens not indulge in pot at all, but, a packaged, legal product would be far less likely to
have heroin in it!

What many people do is loose control of their habit and become addicts. Fortunately I have been able to moderate drug use to where it is merely recreational and not one of a demand that I can't control..But Heroin makes me sick, so sick I can't and don't want it...

Why use drugs at all? I've dabbled in a bit of marijuana in my youth but the buzz from a Bud light or two seemed far more rewarding. Some of my friends do claim that THC acts as an aphrodisiac.

But what is the lure? Social acceptance in a particular group? I've never quite understood the attraction!

drug_addiction.jpg

"

Have you ever wondered why 99.9% of the people who are given pure opioids in hospital do not become addicts?

I.P.Freely said:
Have you ever wondered why 99.9% of the people who are given pure opioids in hospital do not become addicts?

I never gave it much thought. Please inform us.

Last edited:
drug_addiction.jpg

"

Have you ever wondered why 99.9% of the people who are given pure opioids in hospital do not become addicts?[/QUOTE

because they are in a controlled environment

drug_addiction.jpg

"

Perhaps that is all the more reason to legalIize pot. Not so much as to make it safer for kids but to drive out clandestine operations who tamper with it. I would prefer that teens not indulge in pot at all, but, a packaged, legal product would be far less likely to
have heroin in it!
All drugs used recreationaly
drug_addiction.jpg

"

Have you ever wondered why 99.9% of the people who are given pure opioids in hospital do not become addicts?[/QUOTE

Wrong, as the reason for the hospital to give the patient opioids fades so does the patients needs.
The Chinese flooded Vietnam with high quality heroin, in the hope the "addicted" GI's would on return to the US and destroy it from the inside. 95% of the users on return to the safety of America never used again.......why?

drug_addiction.jpg

"

I think you might want to do a little research on your numbers there. I think you'll find that actually a significant number of heroin addicts started out using prescription pain killers.

On the other hand, laced weed wouldn't make someone an addict.

drug_addiction.jpg

"

have heroin in it!
All drugs used recreationaly
drug_addiction.jpg

"

Wrong, as the reason for the hospital to give the patient opioids fades so does the patients needs.
The Chinese flooded Vietnam with high quality heroin, in the hope the "addicted" GI's would on return to the US and destroy it from the inside. 95% of the users on return to the safety of America never used again.......why?

actually i am correct

A spike in the use of addictive and deadly drugs usually coincides with a spike in the illegal importation. With open boarders who knows what is coming into the US?

drug_addiction.jpg

"

have heroin in it!
If marijuana is legalized, you can grow your own and not worry about it being laced with anything.

I.P.Freely said:
the reason for the hospital to give the patient opioids fades so does the patients needs.

I'm not sure how you were able to "quantify' either the number of GIs using heroin in Vietnam and the number that "got off the wagon" after returning home.

drug_addiction.jpg

"

I think you might want to do a little research on your numbers there. I think you'll find that actually a significant number of heroin addicts started out using prescription pain killers.

On the other hand, laced weed wouldn't make someone an addict.
Crudely, I know 20 people who have been given morphine after surgery. Not one became addicted.

drug_addiction.jpg

"

have heroin in it!

I pretty much agree with that. The problem though is that high school kids still would not be able to buy pot legally even if it was legalized because the legal age will be 21.

Forum List

Back