Here's Why Libertarians Can't Govern: Rand Paul Blocking Bipartisan Budget Deal and Forcing Shutdown

Got to love how the Repubs refuse to accept any responsibility at all even when they have majorities in both houses of congress and they control the White House...and yet still it is all the Dems fault. 1st grade mentality.

The first-grade mentality is yours. Do you know what a filibuster is? Do you understand that if your party does not have 60 votes in the Senate, the minority party can block anything? Did you take basic civics in high school?

I'll tell you what: You guys vote for Republican candidates for Senate and give us a filibuster-proof majority, and you just watch us get the budget under control and start paying down the debt. You surely know that Schumer and Pelosi have no intention of halting deficit spending or trying to balance the budget.

This argument that "gosh, you guys 'control' Congress and the White House" is juvenile nonsense. You don't "control" the Senate unless you have 60 votes when the minority party is willing to filibuster anything they don't like. No bill gets out of Congress and on the President's desk unless it passes the Senate. Facts are stubborn things.

It is simply amazing how gullible some people are. It is as if you honestly believe the Repubs when they tell you if they just had a few more senators they would spend less. Did you send the guy from Nigeria your bank account information also so that he could send you the money for safekeeping?

What we need to do is put the GOP back in the minority in the Senate, because according to you when they were the minority they managed to control spending.

Here's a perfect example of why libertarians can't govern and can't win on a national scale: Senator Rand Paul is single-handedly blocking a bipartisan budget deal and appears poised to force a government shutdown because he doesn't like the bipartisan budget deal.

By the most expansive accounting, the budget deal will raise spending by about $400 billion over the next two years. That's an increase of just over 9% for two years, or about 4.6% per year, one of the three smallest increases for any two-year period in the last 40 years. But, no, that's not good enough for libertarian Rand Paul. Nor does he care that the budget deal increases defense spending more than it increases domestic spending and that it extends a number of tax breaks. Nope, not good enough.

He wants a chance to introduce amendments on the Senate floor to cut spending. Look, with 49 Democrats and one or two RINOs in the Senate, no such amendment has any chance. This is a waste of time and it's gonna cost thousands of federal contractors hundreds and even thousands of dollars.

This is why libertarians can't govern.

Do you regularly enjoy people signing off on 700 pages that no one has read?

Got to love how the Repubs refuse to accept any responsibility at all even when they have majorities in both houses of congress and they control the White House...and yet still it is all the Dems fault. 1st grade mentality.

The first-grade mentality is yours. Do you know what a filibuster is? Do you understand that if your party does not have 60 votes in the Senate, the minority party can block anything? Did you take basic civics in high school?

I'll tell you what: You guys vote for Republican candidates for Senate and give us a filibuster-proof majority, and you just watch us get the budget under control and start paying down the debt. You surely know that Schumer and Pelosi have no intention of halting deficit spending or trying to balance the budget.

This argument that "gosh, you guys 'control' Congress and the White House" is juvenile nonsense. You don't "control" the Senate unless you have 60 votes when the minority party is willing to filibuster anything they don't like. No bill gets out of Congress and on the President's desk unless it passes the Senate. Facts are stubborn things.

It is simply amazing how gullible some people are. It is as if you honestly believe the Repubs when they tell you if they just had a few more senators they would spend less. Did you send the guy from Nigeria your bank account information also so that he could send you the money for safekeeping?

What we need to do is put the GOP back in the minority in the Senate, because according to you when they were the minority they managed to control spending.

Huh??? The GOP won control of the House and the Senate in the 2010 midterm elections. They were the majority party in both chambers for the rest of Obama's presidency. How can you not know this? And under GOP control, Congress passed the Budget Control Act of 2011 which cut spending growth nearly to zero (to barely 1%) and reduced the deficit from $1.29 trillion in 2010 to $438 billion in 2015.

Last edited:

Huh??? The GOP won control of the House and the Senate in the 2010 midterm elections. They were the majority party in both chambers for the rest of Obama's presidency. How can you not know this? And under GOP control, Congress passed the Budget Control Act of 2011 which cut spending growth nearly to zero (to barely 1%) and reduced the deficit from $1.29 trillion in 2010 to $438 billion in 2015.

Control of Senate since 2009...The GOP did not take control of the Senate till the 114th Congress, which was not in 2010.

The Budget Control Act of 2011 was voted against by 19 out of 47 Repubs in the Senate while only 6 Dems voted against it. But yeah, it was the Repubs saving the country.

Is there anything you are not wrong about?

upload_2018-2-10_9-47-49.png

Control of Senate since 2009...The GOP did not take control of the Senate till the 114th Congress, which was not in 2010.

The Budget Control Act of 2011 was voted against by 19 out of 47 Repubs in the Senate while only 6 Dems voted against it. But yeah, it was the Repubs saving the country.

Is there anything you are not wrong about?

You're right. The GOP picked up 6 Senate seats in the 2010 midterms but did not take control of the Senate. They took control of the House in the 2010 midterms.

My point still stands, however, that most Republicans voted for fiscal discipline with the 2011 Budget Control Act. So it is simply false to claim that the Republicans have not supported fiscal restraint when they could do so.

Right now, the Republicans have a narrow 51-49 majority in the Senate, and they have one or two RINOs there as well. If they had 60 votes in the Senate, recent history tells us that they would be much tougher on spending.

You're right. The GOP picked up 6 Senate seats in the 2010 midterms but did not take control of the Senate. They took control of the House in the 2010 midterms.

My point still stands, however, that most Republicans voted for fiscal discipline with the 2011 Budget Control Act. So it is simply false to claim that the Republicans have not supported fiscal restraint when they could do so.

Right now, the Republicans have a narrow 51-49 majority in the Senate, and they have one or two RINOs there as well. If they had 60 votes in the Senate, recent history tells us that they would be much tougher on spending.

Why did more Repub Senators vote against the 2011 Budget Control Act than Dem senators?

Why did more Repub Senators vote against the 2011 Budget Control Act than Dem senators?

Oh, I'll tell you why: Because most Dems, including Obama, did not think there was any chance that the sequester would ever happen. They believed that the "super committee" required by the bill would reach an agreement that would be far less severe than the sequester. But, they were wrong, largely because of their own refusal to compromise.

I think you are giving Obama a pass here. He knew exactly what was going to happen but he could shift blame.

I think you are giving Obama a pass here. He knew exactly what was going to happen but he could shift blame.

I don't think so. I base this on former Obama aides and on Obama's conduct at the time. I also know for a fact that most if not all federal contracting companies were "certain" that sequestration would never happen, that the spending limits were so "draconian" that neither side would let them happen.

I think we need to keep in mind, too, that under Obama's first budget (FY 2010), federal spending actually dropped slightly (1.8%), and that was when the Dems controlled the Senate and the House. Surely he and the Dems deserve some credit for that (Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama?).

Last edited:

Oh, I'll tell you why: Because most Dems, including Obama, did not think there was any chance that the sequester would ever happen. They believed that the "super committee" required by the bill would reach an agreement that would be far less severe than the sequester. But, they were wrong, largely because of their own refusal to compromise.

That does not explain why the Repubs voted against it. Please try and stay on topic

That does not explain why the Repubs voted against it. Please try and stay on topic

Most Republicans voted for the Budget Control Act. 174 of the 269 Republicans in the House voted for it, and 28 of the 47 Republicans in the Senate voted for it.

Although a strong majority of Senate Dems voted for it, over half of the House Dems (95 out of 161) voted against it.

The good news is Republicans have run out of people to blame for their spending. Only a moron thinks they are fiscally responsible at this point.

The good news is Republicans have run out of people to blame for their spending. Only a moron thinks they are fiscally responsible at this point.

Leaving aside your failure to acknowledge that the GOP's Budget Control Act of 2011 held spending to barely 1% growth from 2013-2016, are you willing to admit that if the Democrats had their way, we would be spending a whole lot more and would not have any tax cuts?

Here's a perfect example of why libertarians can't govern and can't win on a national scale: Senator Rand Paul is single-handedly blocking a bipartisan budget deal and appears poised to force a government shutdown because he doesn't like the bipartisan budget deal.

By the most expansive accounting, the budget deal will raise spending by about $400 billion over the next two years. That's an increase of just over 9% for two years, or about 4.6% per year, one of the three smallest increases for any two-year period in the last 40 years. But, no, that's not good enough for libertarian Rand Paul. Nor does he care that the budget deal increases defense spending more than it increases domestic spending and that it extends a number of tax breaks. Nope, not good enough.

He wants a chance to introduce amendments on the Senate floor to cut spending. Look, with 49 Democrats and one or two RINOs in the Senate, no such amendment has any chance. This is a waste of time and it's gonna cost thousands of federal contractors hundreds and even thousands of dollars.

This is why libertarians can't govern.

This is why Republicans can't be taken seriously about the debt. Your post is proof that fiscal conservatism is only an electioneering slogan. Our debt has surpassed $20 trillion and Paul is one of only a handful taking this problem seriously.

Don't ever claim to be a fiscally conservative party again.

I still can't believe they kicked out 700 pages and nobody read it. FFS who does that shit?

Leaving aside your failure to acknowledge that the GOP's Budget Control Act of 2011 held spending to barely 1% growth from 2013-2016, are you willing to admit that if the Democrats had their way, we would be spending a whole lot more and would not have any tax cuts?

I am willing to admit that with the Republicans in complete control of the government spending has increased. That is a FACT.

I am willing to admit that with the Republicans in complete control of the government spending has increased. That is a FACT.

In other words, you want to pick and choose which facts to acknowledge. The FACT is that the Republicans' Budget Control Act of 2011 cut federal spending down to a growth rate of barely 1% from 2013-2016 and slashed the deficit from $1.29 trillion in 2011 to $438 billion in 2015.

In other words, you want to pick and choose which facts to acknowledge. The FACT is that the Republicans' Budget Control Act of 2011 cut federal spending down to a growth rate of barely 1% from 2013-2016 and slashed the deficit from $1.29 trillion in 2011 to $438 billion in 2015.

And now this year’s debt is set to hit $1 trillion. Like I said before, stop claiming you are a fiscally Conservative party.

In other words the Repubs control everything and increased spending. That is quite the important fact in all this. And this is happening during a strong economy.

My research does not make this sound like a GOP plan at all.
The solution came from White House National Economic Council Director Gene Sperling, who, on July 12, 2011, proposed a compulsory trigger that would go into effect if another agreement was not made on tax increases and/or budget cuts equal to or greater than the debt ceiling increase by a future date.

Ultimately, the intent of the sequester was to secure the commitment of both sides to future negotiation by means of an enforcement mechanism that would be unpalatable to Republicans and Democrats alike. President Obama agreed to the plan. House Speaker John Boehner expressed reservations, but also agreed.[15]

It was voted on by both Repubs and Dems. You really kid yourself by giving the GOP credit.

Forum List

Back