here's tech that's 50+yo, works fine, few know it.

abrere

May 28, 2018
Federal .223 60 grain Nosler Partition test results.

the Partition softpoint has two seperate lead cores, partitioned by a copper "wall" between the lead segments. The front core is thus free to expand, even fragment, but the rear core is protected from the stresses of penetrating flesh, so it retains decent bllet weight and gets adequate penetration. Out to 150m with short barrels, 200m with full length 223's, it does as good a job on deer as the 30-30 softpoint ever did, as long as you dont shoot them in the butt. This lets you dump the lever action, putting money back into your bank, getting real flesh and blood experience with your combat rifle and ammo, and letting you practice with milsurp ball ammo, which costs 1/3rd of what 30-30 ammo costs. The AR has a .22lr conversion unit. So, with subsonic Aquila 60 gr .22 ammo, you can silence that noisy bluejay, crow, remove that garden-ruining chuck, etc, without scaring everything within 2 miles. it also lets you practice on indoor ranges, teach novices, etc. You can easily carry the 3/4 lb .22 unit in the thigh pocket of your cammies, and the caliber swap takes just 10 seconds. The shorty AR in 223, is by far the most versatile longarm ever produced, and now they are just $500.

Using a .223 on deer is illegal in many states.

I'll stick with my .270. I like a bigger bullet. Plus my Ruger #1 is one of the sweetest rifles ever made.

Forum List

Back