Scope in AR's carrying handle is 4.5" above the line of the rifle bore

May 21, 2015
that has the EFFECT of "flattening" the trajectory, making it possible to zero the scope with the bullets POI point of impact an addition 50 yds further away, Having he intent of just being able to hit vertical man torsos, (as vs small varmints) adds a LOT more effective range. Normally, if you zero a Mini14 (ie, no very high sightline above the bore) at 300 yds, the bullets will strike 8" high at 200 yds, an unacceptable deviation, when the targets are likely to be cover using heads, or at least, head on prone men, in the open.

But the AR has a 2 option "winged" rear peep sight. I zero the "long range" wing of the sight at 200 yds with the 60 gr, 2550 fps Nosler Partition softpoints, and the "v-notched", luminous "normal range" wing at 50 yds with the Aquila 60 gr subsonic .22 ammo (900 fps from my 11.5" barreled AR). The scope, a 1x6x compact, is zeroed at 300 yds. Normally, it's left on 1x, so that I can use it for fast stuff, up close, in brush, where I need the light gathering ability (ie, dusk or dawn). The "see thru " scope base lets me have the option of the iron sights, if i need a precise zero and the BB gun quiet subsonic 22 (thru the 223 silencer). Fast stuff, up close, does not require either a close zero of the sights, nor tight grouping. So there's no reason to be concerned about practice .22's 38 gr diff in poi, nor the 55 gr nor 62 gr POI diff.

The scope is zeroed at 300 yds, with 69 gr hpbt Sierra matchkings. I don't care that they don't expand out there. "just" a .22 hole in the guy will suffice to make him no longer a threat to me from such a distance. I'm not going to jump on a motorycle and be out there trying to scalp him 10 seconds after hitting him. there's no reason for me to care if he flops around for a bit before he bleeds out. if he tries to charge 200 yds, up to 100 yds, where he MIGHT be a threat to me still (while solidly hit with 223). he'll bleed out a lot faster and I'll have plenty of chances to hit him again.

With such a zero, even the 11.5" barrel lets me aim between his eyes and hit his guts at 400 yds. that's plenty of long range potential for a civilian survivalist. Far more "effective reach" than an iron-sighted Mosin has, with ball ammo, which so many "think" is a "long range capable" rifle and rd. :) This is especially true of the cheapskate sort who buy Mosins. Obviously, that type aint going to practice much, nor drive far to access a 1/4mile+ range, cause he aint gonna spend that kind of money.

by the time you bend the bolt handle, drill and tap a Mosin, and do a trigger job on it, and buy some "match grade" ammo for it, and probably cut off some damaged bore, recrown it, remount the front sight, it will have cost you just as much as an AR would have. And you still won't have rapidfire, threaded muzzle, clear sightline above a silencer. won't fire the US GI rd, won't have a lw, compact gun or lw, compact ammo, won't have varmint accuracy, won't have a .22 unit, won't be able to take it apart and conceal it, won't have a chromed chamber.

Too lazy to post in the right forum?

He originally posted a lot in the Firearms forum. But he found there are too many people who know a fair amount about guns. He doesn't like having his proclamations countered with facts. That is why he typically just posts and doesn't return to a thread much.

ha, ha. that's FUNNY, clown. WHO in the firearms sub forum knows even 10% of what I know about guns or shooting? :) That's a real laugh. I don't return to threads much because there's no "answerrs" or even intelligent commentary, THATs why. If you're SO knowledgable'< then why aren't YOU starting lots of gun threads, hmm? cause you CANT, and you AINt, that's why. Anyone can see that much.

ha, ha. that's FUNNY, clown. WHO in the firearms sub forum knows even 10% of what I know about guns or shooting? :) That's a real laugh. I don't return to threads much because there's no "answerrs" or even intelligent commentary, THATs why. If you're SO knowledgable'< then why aren't YOU starting lots of gun threads, hmm? cause you CANT, and you AINt, that's why. Anyone can see that much.

I start threads that become discussions. I am not here to stroke my ego and pretend I know something, as you do.

Your "knowledge" has been slapped down over and over and over. And you hide.

this subforum says that 'anything can be posted here". So I DO. :) I like to spread things around, cause a lot of people wont go to, or even notice in some cases. a gun sub-forum. I post PLENTY in the gun sub forum. And, for the other bozo, why should I CARE what your little parasite self wants, heeds, or accepts, hmm?

this subforum says that 'anything can be posted here". So I DO. :) I like to spread things around, cause a lot of people wont go to, or even notice in some cases. a gun sub-forum. I post PLENTY in the gun sub forum. And, for the other bozo, why should I CARE what your little parasite self wants, heeds, or accepts, hmm?

LMAO!!!

I doubt that is the reason. More likely you got pwn'd too many times in the Firearms Forum, so you sought refuge here.

Yes, there are many people who are not interested in guns and won't go to the Firearms forum. So why do you think they will be interested in guns here?

OK Got you! You've been kicked out of all the firearms forums and you ended up here.

I left out the need for a bubble level that is either incorporated into the scope, or clamped onto the scope body and checked before you fire. The very high line of sight, relative to the boreline, of the scoped carrying handle AR introduces a lot of potential for missing as the range increases.

Forum List

Back