Here’s some wasteful Big Government spending. Why isn’t Fox News outraged?

Do you remember the $16 muffin? It was big news in 2011, coming from an inspector general’s report on Justice Department overspending at conferences. There were front-page articles in newspapers, but the real heat came from conservative media, particularly Fox News, which blasted the government for spending so much for muffins. It turned out that there was no $16 muffin, though there may have been overpriced hotel breakfasts.

That story contained everything Fox wanted its viewers to believe about government employees fleecing taxpayers.

Now here’s another similar story from today you won’t be hearing about on Fox, or perhaps anywhere else. It appeared on page A11 of today’s Post:

Northrop Grumman improperly charged the U.S. government more than $100 million in “questionable” costs on a contract, according to a Defense Department inspector general’s report.

The report found that from October 2007 through March 2013, the major defense contractor “did not properly charge labor rates” for a counter-narcoterrorism contract, and that the Army agency in charge of the contract did not ensure that the people performing the work had the necessary qualifications. The agency also did not review invoices for millions of dollars of overtime, the report said.

The IG found $21.7 million in “potentially excessive payments” for overtime, including one employee who billed $176,900 for 1,208 hours in a 12-day period. That caught investigators’ attention, since the employee was billing for more than 100 hours a day.

$100 million could buy you an awful lot of muffins. Back when the muffin story broke, I wrote a post about it and did a Google News search, which produced 443 articles about the muffins in the prior 24 hours. How many stories do you think there have been in the last 24 hours about Northrop Grumman’s $100 million overcharge (I suppose we might even call it “fraud”) of the American taxpayer? A dozen? A hundred? Nope. Just one — the one in the Post. Nobody else seems to find it interesting.

So what does this tell us? First, conservatives have a media apparatus that they can use to force certain stories into mainstream awareness when they find those that tell a tale they want people to hear. It doesn’t always work — for instance, their efforts to get everyone to care about the New Black Panthers have not borne fruit — but it works often enough.

Second, if there’s a vivid detail, even one that turns out to be untrue (like the $16 muffin), then all journalists are much more likely to find it compelling and do stories about it. You’d think that the story of the guy who managed to bill for 100 hours of work per day would be pretty compelling. Guess not.

Third, people seem to get angrier about bad behavior from government employees than from contractors, even though contractors at a place like Northrup Grumman are government employees in all but name (according to Northrop’s 2013 annual report, $21.3 billion of its $24.7 billion in sales came from U.S. government contracts). I’d give folks like Fox some credit for that, since they’ve worked so hard to convince everyone that “government bureaucrats” are both slothful and sinister, working every day to crush Americans’ freedom when they aren’t taking 3-hour lunches.

And fourth, the actual magnitude of the waste of taxpayer money is all but irrelevant to whether this kind of story gains traction. You know about the muffins, but do you remember that in Iraq, the Defense Department lost — literally just lost, with no idea where it went — a staggering $6.6 billion in cash? We’re talking pallets full of $100 bills, sent over there to make it rain on the various factions whose support we were trying to buy. Just disappeared. That should have been an earth-shaking scandal, but few people ever heard about it.
If it was being discussed at MSNBC, CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS or any other media outlet, FOX would be outraged as well.

This kind of waste should be discussed. The government employees who incompetence allowed it to happen should be fired, the company should be fined (and it will be).

Having spent my entire career in and around DOD, I personally know of hundreds of incidents of wasteful or corrupt spending, many were discovered, some were not. Elimination of the legal bribery of congress (lobbying) would eliminate a lot of this, competent civil servants and corporate internal auditors would eliminate it all.

Continue cutting food stamps? You apparently don't know that Obama is the "Food Stamp President."
Fox News tells you that, but the other networks never have.

You just destroyed your previous post's argument. Lol!

We (conservatives/republicans) post on here all the time about government waste and normally we just get this from you people.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

now all of a sudden blah blah blah

anyway it's not serious when you have to bring Fox News into it so...................... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Why don't you? I didn't see you bitch about it just ask why Republicans aren't. FYI Tom Coburn has been putting out the wastebook which highlights this kind of stuff for years.

Read the Thread Title again. Do you see the question being asked?
The question was why isn't Fox News outraged you were asking why aren't Republicans bitching about it and I ask why don't you.
FoxNews is the major network mouthpiece of the Right-Wing. They help to set the tone of Right-Wing grievance politics - things like spending 24/7 on $16 muffins.

Or don't you remember?
I remember ever time you get a question you can't answer you fall back on those standard talking points and yes I remember $16 muffins and I believe it was $800 hammers and $1000 toilet seats. The difference is all of it pisses me off you only seem to care if you think it scores you some political points.

We (conservatives/republicans) post on here all the time about government waste and normally we just get this from you people.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

anyway it's not serious when you have to bring Fox News into it so...................... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The left is scared shitless of Fox. They are scared of any media outlet that tells both sides. They know that when both sides are given equal time, the left always loses, because leftist doctrine is based on lies.

Why don't you? I didn't see you bitch about it just ask why Republicans aren't. FYI Tom Coburn has been putting out the wastebook which highlights this kind of stuff for years.

Read the Thread Title again. Do you see the question being asked?
The question was why isn't Fox News outraged you were asking why aren't Republicans bitching about it and I ask why don't you.
FoxNews is the major network mouthpiece of the Right-Wing. They help to set the tone of Right-Wing grievance politics - things like spending 24/7 on $16 muffins.

Or don't you remember?
I remember ever time you get a question you can't answer you fall back on those standard talking points and yes I remember $16 muffins and I believe it was $800 hammers and $1000 toilet seats. The difference is all of it pisses me off you only seem to care if you think it scores you some political points.

True, but lets talk about the hammers and toilet seats. Does anyone know why they cost so much?

Answer: government testing and certification requirements is a lot of it----------hammers and toilet seats used on military ships and planes must be tested and certified to withstand a nuclear blast, EMP radiation, and all sorts of environmental requirements. This costs money and is totally unnecessary.

Yes, there is always some corporate overpricing, but if the hammers and toilet seats could be bought at walmart they would cost less than $20.

This is another example of the left lying about what is really going on.

The left is scared shitless of Fox. They are scared of any media outlet that tells both sides. They know that when both sides are given equal time, the left always loses, because leftist doctrine is based on lies.

Exactly, he post for the purpose of flaming or hate
shameful habit they have

Do you remember the $16 muffin? It was big news in 2011, coming from an inspector general’s report on Justice Department overspending at conferences. There were front-page articles in newspapers, but the real heat came from conservative media, particularly Fox News, which blasted the government for spending so much for muffins. It turned out that there was no $16 muffin, though there may have been overpriced hotel breakfasts.

That story contained everything Fox wanted its viewers to believe about government employees fleecing taxpayers.

Now here’s another similar story from today you won’t be hearing about on Fox, or perhaps anywhere else. It appeared on page A11 of today’s Post:

Northrop Grumman improperly charged the U.S. government more than $100 million in “questionable” costs on a contract, according to a Defense Department inspector general’s report.

The report found that from October 2007 through March 2013, the major defense contractor “did not properly charge labor rates” for a counter-narcoterrorism contract, and that the Army agency in charge of the contract did not ensure that the people performing the work had the necessary qualifications. The agency also did not review invoices for millions of dollars of overtime, the report said.

The IG found $21.7 million in “potentially excessive payments” for overtime, including one employee who billed $176,900 for 1,208 hours in a 12-day period. That caught investigators’ attention, since the employee was billing for more than 100 hours a day.

$100 million could buy you an awful lot of muffins. Back when the muffin story broke, I wrote a post about it and did a Google News search, which produced 443 articles about the muffins in the prior 24 hours. How many stories do you think there have been in the last 24 hours about Northrop Grumman’s $100 million overcharge (I suppose we might even call it “fraud”) of the American taxpayer? A dozen? A hundred? Nope. Just one — the one in the Post. Nobody else seems to find it interesting.

So what does this tell us? First, conservatives have a media apparatus that they can use to force certain stories into mainstream awareness when they find those that tell a tale they want people to hear. It doesn’t always work — for instance, their efforts to get everyone to care about the New Black Panthers have not borne fruit — but it works often enough.

Second, if there’s a vivid detail, even one that turns out to be untrue (like the $16 muffin), then all journalists are much more likely to find it compelling and do stories about it. You’d think that the story of the guy who managed to bill for 100 hours of work per day would be pretty compelling. Guess not.

Third, people seem to get angrier about bad behavior from government employees than from contractors, even though contractors at a place like Northrup Grumman are government employees in all but name (according to Northrop’s 2013 annual report, $21.3 billion of its $24.7 billion in sales came from U.S. government contracts). I’d give folks like Fox some credit for that, since they’ve worked so hard to convince everyone that “government bureaucrats” are both slothful and sinister, working every day to crush Americans’ freedom when they aren’t taking 3-hour lunches.

And fourth, the actual magnitude of the waste of taxpayer money is all but irrelevant to whether this kind of story gains traction. You know about the muffins, but do you remember that in Iraq, the Defense Department lost — literally just lost, with no idea where it went — a staggering $6.6 billion in cash? We’re talking pallets full of $100 bills, sent over there to make it rain on the various factions whose support we were trying to buy. Just disappeared. That should have been an earth-shaking scandal, but few people ever heard about it.

Forum List

Back