Here’s a map of all the mass shootings in 2015

According to Mother Jones's editor there have been only four.

"There's been nowhere near 355 mass shootings in 2015, and according to Mother Jones editor Mark Folman, there have been exactly four.

At Mother Jones, where I work as an editor, we have compiled an in-depth, open-source database covering more than three decades of public mass shootings. By our measure, there have been four “mass shootings” this year, including the one in San Bernardino, and at least 73 such attacks since 1982.

What explains the vastly different count? The answer is that there is no official definition for “mass shooting.” Almost all of the gun crimes behind the much larger statistic are less lethal and bear little relevance to the type of public mass murder we have just witnessed again. Including them in the same breath suggests that a 1 a.m. gang fight in a Sacramento restaurant, in which two were killed and two injured, is the same kind of event as a deranged man walking into a community college classroom and massacring nine and injuring nine others. Or that a late-night shooting on a street in Savannah, Ga., yesterday that injured three and killed one is in the same category as the madness that just played out in Southern California.

While all the victims are important, conflating those many other crimes with indiscriminate slaughter in public venues obscures our understanding of this complicated and growing problem. Everyone is desperate to know why these attacks happen and how we might stop them — and we can’t know, unless we collect and focus on useful data that filter out the noise."

No, there haven't been 355 'mass shootings' this year

Here's a map of all the mass shootings in 2015 | PBS NewsHour

Funny, it looks like about 5% of the white murderers have been reported but 100% of the Muslim murderers.

Think the press is creating a narrative?

355 so far this year?

Depends on who you get your info from:

• The Mass Shooting Tracker defines a mass shooting as an event in which four or more people were shot.
  • USA Today tracks mass killings, in which four or more people were killed.
  • Mother Jones tracks mass killings in which four or more people were killed but excludes "gang activity, armed robbery, or domestic violence."

Have there been 353 mass shootings this year — or just 4?

According to Mother Jones's editor there have been only four.

"There's been nowhere near 355 mass shootings in 2015, and according to Mother Jones editor Mark Folman, there have been exactly four.

At Mother Jones, where I work as an editor, we have compiled an in-depth, open-source database covering more than three decades of public mass shootings. By our measure, there have been four “mass shootings” this year, including the one in San Bernardino, and at least 73 such attacks since 1982.

What explains the vastly different count? The answer is that there is no official definition for “mass shooting.” Almost all of the gun crimes behind the much larger statistic are less lethal and bear little relevance to the type of public mass murder we have just witnessed again. Including them in the same breath suggests that a 1 a.m. gang fight in a Sacramento restaurant, in which two were killed and two injured, is the same kind of event as a deranged man walking into a community college classroom and massacring nine and injuring nine others. Or that a late-night shooting on a street in Savannah, Ga., yesterday that injured three and killed one is in the same category as the madness that just played out in Southern California.

While all the victims are important, conflating those many other crimes with indiscriminate slaughter in public venues obscures our understanding of this complicated and growing problem. Everyone is desperate to know why these attacks happen and how we might stop them — and we can’t know, unless we collect and focus on useful data that filter out the noise."

Of course there haven't..... that's absurd. So, of course Deanie Weanie runs with it.

omg, I don't spend very much time here, but even I have seen this exact same pbs propaganda used to start two other threads,

What the hell ever happened to critical thinking?

Today at the gun range, multiple persons were shooting at targets, constituting yet another mass shooting.....

Apparently this is the definition of a mass shooting that gave us 355. Unreal. Talk about bullshit.

"The statistics now being highlighted in the news come primarily fromshootingtracker.com, a website built by members of a Reddit forum supporting gun control called GunsAreCool.

That site aggregates news stories about shooting incidents — of any kind — in which four or more people are reported to have been either injured or killed."

Funny, it looks like about 5% of the white murderers have been reported but 100% of the Muslim murderers.

355 so far this year?

• The Mass Shooting Tracker defines a mass shooting as an event in which four or more people were shot.
  • Mother Jones tracks mass killings in which four or more people were killed but excludes "gang activity, armed robbery, or domestic violence."

Apparently the whack jobs that came up with the 355 by using news reports with 4 or more people shot include the victim. Yikes!

355 so far this year?

Apparently the whack jobs that came up with the 355 by using news reports with 4 or more people shot include the victim. Yikes!
So how many is a mass shooting? What about seven? What about 9? What satisfies the rights thirst for blood?

This comes down to a matter of perspective and it shows why I could never, ever be a right wing Republican.

If I heard that four people have been shot, right away, I'm thinking, I hope they recover. I hope they aren't traumatized. I hope they aren't crippled. I hope they aren't brain damaged. What about their family? I hope they have health care.

But look at what these right wingers are saying:

there is no official definition for “mass shooting.

What the hell ever happened to critical thinking?

Today at the gun range, multiple persons were shooting at targets, constituting yet another mass shooting..

The far left drones are creating the narrative,

They might as well be saying "Who cares?" or "So what?" If ONLY four people have been shot, then why bother?

Last edited by a moderator:
When did Republicans become so callous? When they became so scared?

Forum List

Back