Hepatitis C - How do I answer this question?

Papawx3

Dec 18, 2012
On the lake and in the woods
I was talking with my neighbor a couple of days ago and he asked me a question. In strictest privacy, he told me that he and his wife share Hepatitis C, and have for many years. Neither know exactly how they contracted it, and neither know who gave it to the other. She was a former drug user and he has a few tattoos that he proudly displays. He readily admits that at least a couple of them were done under less than sterile conditions. Regardless, they've shared it for so many years that at this point in time, it really doesn't matter.
The problem is that he is now retired and has Medicare. When he went to his doctor last week he was given the results of some blood tests that were run. He was then told that he needs to get this treated because it's at a point where it could lead to cancer of the liver. So now he is looking into maybe getting this treated, which would of course entail going through chemo treatments. Those would take several hours twice a week for approx 30 weeks.
She otoh has been his faithful housewife for 20+ years but is too young to get Medicare. She also has no health insurance. As a result she can't afford those treatments.
Of course with chemo, he wouldn't be able to drive himself to the hospital. She would have to drive him there, and wait for him, then drive him back home. Then she would have to wait on him at home while he heaves his guts out all day every day, watches his hair fall out, and basically be homebound while he's receiving treatments and then for how ever long it would take for him to recover afterward. Of course he's not too thrilled about the side effects of those treatments, but it might rid him of the Hep C.
She otoh would still have it, and would have no recourse but to continue being the faithful wife, who btw would be left in the same position and no way of getting treatments herself. She would eventually start getting sick herself as it begins its destruction of her own liver. There is nothing either of them can do for that.
So he asked me what I thought he should do. Should he check into going through the treatments just because the gov't will now pay for it, or at least the majority of it? Or should he just resign himself to living with it for the rest of his life, because his wife can't afford the treatments?
I told him that imo, if he has to ask that question, his marriage doesn't mean nearly as much to him as it evidently does to her.

I think it's rather silly for him to eschew treatment just because his wife cannot get it.

I cannot understand why she isn't eligible for treatment too.

Can you explain that to us?

In speaking with my neighbor again this afternoon he told me certain things in confidence. Knowing these things makes it impossible for me to continue discussing this topic openly.
I hope you understand, but I need to terminate this thread.

Be careful about sharing it yourself. A old guy with tattoos is capable of making his own decisions even if some of them might not have been good in the past.

Papa wrote: She was a former drug user and he has a few tattoos that he proudly displays.

Granny says stay away from `em...
:eusa_eh:
... dey sound like trouble.
:eek:

In speaking with my neighbor again this afternoon he told me certain things in confidence. Knowing these things makes it impossible for me to continue discussing this topic openly.
I hope you understand, but I need to terminate this thread.

Nonetheless, send them my hugs.

I couldn't undergo the treatments to save myself, only to watch my wife die.

:eusa_pray:

I was talking with my neighbor a couple of days ago and he asked me a question. In strictest privacy, he told me that he and his wife share Hepatitis C, and have for many years. Neither know exactly how they contracted it, and neither know who gave it to the other. She was a former drug user and he has a few tattoos that he proudly displays. He readily admits that at least a couple of them were done under less than sterile conditions. Regardless, they've shared it for so many years that at this point in time, it really doesn't matter.
The problem is that he is now retired and has Medicare. When he went to his doctor last week he was given the results of some blood tests that were run. He was then told that he needs to get this treated because it's at a point where it could lead to cancer of the liver. So now he is looking into maybe getting this treated, which would of course entail going through chemo treatments. Those would take several hours twice a week for approx 30 weeks.
She otoh has been his faithful housewife for 20+ years but is too young to get Medicare. She also has no health insurance. As a result she can't afford those treatments.
Of course with chemo, he wouldn't be able to drive himself to the hospital. She would have to drive him there, and wait for him, then drive him back home. Then she would have to wait on him at home while he heaves his guts out all day every day, watches his hair fall out, and basically be homebound while he's receiving treatments and then for how ever long it would take for him to recover afterward. Of course he's not too thrilled about the side effects of those treatments, but it might rid him of the Hep C.
She otoh would still have it, and would have no recourse but to continue being the faithful wife, who btw would be left in the same position and no way of getting treatments herself. She would eventually start getting sick herself as it begins its destruction of her own liver. There is nothing either of them can do for that.
So he asked me what I thought he should do. Should he check into going through the treatments just because the gov't will now pay for it, or at least the majority of it? Or should he just resign himself to living with it for the rest of his life, because his wife can't afford the treatments?
I told him that imo, if he has to ask that question, his marriage doesn't mean nearly as much to him as it evidently does to her.

Ok, I did Pegulated interferon for 48 weeks. I wont lie, it sucked ass on bad days, but my good days were awesome. There are new drugs out that are not so harsh. Mine were $1,075 a month. I got them for free shipped to my door. As for the personnel stuff, I hope it works for them. If they both treat, they will need each other. Ill PM you some stuff. By the way, I been clear foe 8 years now.

Forum List

Back