Help !

Joz said:
:teeth: Yeah, dilloduck made a funny.

Now, what about that 'square' thing?

Joz, I would think it would be pretty darn hard to get something "perfectly" square by sanding it. Inevitably you're going to take more off here or there. Sanding isn't intended for squaring actually. It's for finishing. Your "cut" is what should be primarily used for getting something square.

"Table saw"... :)

Pale Rider said:
Joz, I would think it would be pretty darn hard to get something "perfectly" square by sanding it. Inevitably you're going to take more off here or there. Sanding isn't intended for squaring actually. It's for finishing. Your "cut" is what should be primarily used for getting something square.

"Table saw"... :)

I understand that. And yes, a table saw or miter would be great.

Still my point is, if lines are drawn on a board, with a square, from a particular edge, everything should be square with that edge, no matter if it's cut or sanded to the line. Right?

Joz said:

Still my point is, if lines are drawn on a board, with a square, from a particular edge, everything should be square with that edge, no matter if it's cut or sanded to the line. Right?

Theoretically, yes.

And miter boxes or miter saws are primarily used for cutting angles, for trimming or finish work mainly. If you want nice, straight, long cuts, you'll need a table saw.

Joz said:

Only if you started out with a square pice of lumber!

Are you teling me that, if I take any piece of wood, I will not be able to get a square piece from it not from any edge, not from the center. I HAVE to have a square plamk to start with? So, how do I get the plank square so I can get my little piece I need square?

Joz said:
Are you teling me that, if I take any piece of wood, I will not be able to get a square piece from it not from any edge, not from the center. I HAVE to have a square plamk to start with? So, how do I get the plank square so I can get my little piece I need square?

put you square on a corner to make sure the corner is a perfect 90 degree angle. then try another corner .

Joz said:

Hire a carpenter???? :D Dont get mad....just kidding

Joz said:

Yes. To start with, you'll need at least ONE "straight edge" to get a 90 degree, right angle, square FROM. If you don't start out with that, your fighting a loosing battle.

I appreciate everyone's help. Really I do. And I've done all that you have said. This is not the first time I've ever been in a shop using tools. I just wondered what I was doing wrong . I've just come to the conclusion, me, my eyes, or both are lopsided.

Joz said:
I appreciate everyone's help. Really I do. And I've done all that you have said. This is not the first time I've ever been in a shop using tools. I just wondered what I was doing wrong . I've just come to the conclusion, me, my eyes, or both are lopsided.

Well, sometimes there are things that someone might just NOT be "cut out" for... ahem. I know, lame humor.

But keep in mind Joz, "THE RIGHT TOOLS" make any job easy. And from what we've discussed here, it's sounded to me like you're not using the right stuff to accomplish what you're trying to do.

Hell, I'm a Harley Davidson Tech. But if you gave me paint brush and butter knife and wanted me to fix your ride with just that, I wouldn't be able to fix shit. Gotta have the right tools!

I agree with the tool thing.

But even if the edge of the wood looks like this, ~~~~~~~~~~~~ it should still be square, if the line is square with the initial cut. right?

what are you trying to make?

What type of wood are you using?

What are the dimensions?

What is the tolerance level you need?

Answer these questions and I may be able to assist you.

tom

Tom E said:
1. what are you trying to make?
2. What type of wood are you using?
3. What are the dimensions?
4. What is the tolerance level you need?
Answer these questions and I may be able to assist you.
tom

1. a perfect rectangle

2. 1/4 "-- #2 pine

3. 4" x 6" / 5" x 7" size really isn't important at the moment

4. Not sure I understand this one. I just need it to be, say, 6" on two sides & 4" on the other two & it not slant to those dimensions when I'm finished.

A really big THANKS!

Joz said:
I agree with the tool thing.

But even if the edge of the wood looks like this, ~~~~~~~~~~~~ it should still be square, if the line is square with the initial cut. right?

Why don't you just tell me/show me what you want, and I'll build it for you... :D

To: Pale Rider & Dilloduck

Maybe you two should work up and act! :D

Joz said:
To: Pale Rider & Dilloduck

Maybe you two should work up and act! :D

OK... well... aaaaaahh... "a funny thing happened to me on my way to the board this evening"... :laugh:

Joz said:
1. a perfect rectangle

2. 1/4 "-- #2 pine

3. 4" x 6" / 5" x 7" size really isn't important at the moment

4. Not sure I understand this one. I just need it to be, say, 6" on two sides & 4" on the other two & it not slant to those dimensions when I'm finished.

A really big THANKS!

Sorry it took so long sent to Florida by FEMA.

1. You will not be able to get perfect rectangle, pine with a good mitre box will get you close.

Usally we back cut the wood to give the apperance of the miters lining up ( closing up in the front)

just mark bith side of the wood with the final dimensions cut wiht miter box glue and pin corners together you will get something accaptable .

Tom

Tom E said:
Sorry it took so long sent to Florida by FEMA.

1. You will not be able to get perfect rectangle, pine with a good mitre box will get you close.

Usally we back cut the wood to give the apperance of the miters lining up ( closing up in the front)

just mark bith side of the wood with the final dimensions cut wiht miter box glue and pin corners together you will get something accaptable .

Tom

Nice to see ya around Tom E.!

Now as far as the post...I have half an idea what you said, but
I don't think Joz will have a clue.. Can you say it different, maybe?
Mr.(Mean) P :)

Mr. P said:
Nice to see ya around Tom E.!

I don't think Joz will have a clue..
Mr.(Mean) P :)

I understood perfectly what he said! But I'm not trying to square a mitered corner, just having a problem squaring a solid piece.

Forum List

Back