HELP! Sibling trying to enlist in Navy or CG reserve, no research!

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Anyone have anything they can suggest? My brother is 33. He wants to enlist in the Navy reserve or Coast Guard reserve. He has a 4 year degree, worked as a cop for several years. He wants to do it, and I'm 100% supporting it, however, he has done absolutely no research!! He said he is just going in and asking "Where do I sign" to whichever one will take him first.

I heard the CG is very hard to get into right now. Haven't heard much about Navy. He definitely wants to go reserve b/c of his civilian job that he loves.

Anyone have any advice I could pass to him?????

>

:Shakes Head:

Never ever sign the dotted line and then read what's in it later on.

If he has a background in law enforcement, at least talk to the recruiter about part of Naval security/policing in the Mater-At-Arms rate. Same goes for the CG. His employer may even grant a leave of absence to attend required schools.

I obviously love the Navy, but enlisting with the concept of "Here I am, do with me what you will..." is just not that bright and will often lead to an unsatisfactory experience.

>>>>

Last edited:
He has a degree and he's "enlisting"?
He's 33?
Advice?
Grow a brain

He had a 2.2 GPA in college. They wouldnt give in an officer spot, so he wants to enlist as a Navy MP or CG water police (or whatever it is called, Im not sure).

>

If he has a background in law enforcement, at least talk to the recruiter about part of Naval security/policing in the Mater-At-Arms rate. Same goes for the CG. His employer may even grant a leave of absence to attend required schools.

I obviously love the Navy, but enlisting with the concept of "Here I am, do with me what you will..." is just not that bright and will often lead to an unsatisfactory experience.

>>>>

Thanks. He said he heard the Navy reserve and CG reserve both had some sort of abbreviated boot camp for people with law enforcement experience, and he just wants to jump in headfirst. I told him at least research it!!! Im proud he's gonna do it, just want him to research before making such a huge committment. Thanks for the info about "Master at Arms", I'll at least tell him to ask about that.

Yeah, 33 is a bit old. The age limit is 39 or 40 I think. He wants to supplement his current career with it (He is still in LE), and it was a childhood goal he never achieved. No wife, no kids, no mortgage. So, he says "Why not!!?"

I support him, but damn he needs to research a bit!!!

>

>>>>

Thanks. He said he heard the Navy reserve and CG reserve both had some sort of abbreviated boot camp for people with law enforcement experience, and he just wants to jump in headfirst. I told him at least research it!!! Im proud he's gonna do it, just want him to research before making such a huge committment. Thanks for the info about "Master at Arms", I'll at least tell him to ask about that.

n_rte_e_6_black_white_cnt_master_at_arms_81325_2.jpg

Maybe he could take a look at this -->> Navy Master At Arms Rate

If you have a desirable skill set or background, one key is to take anything the recruiter says with a grain of salt. Basically operate under the premise of "if it ain't in writing, it ain't guaranteed".

When I decided to enlist in the Navy the recruiter and I danced for about 3-months of "we enlist you and with your ASVAB scores you will get the classification you want, we just don't have any recruiting billets open right now." I stuck to my guns and said when you get a recruiting billet and will put it in writing (AVA School and the AFTA Program after "A" school) give me a call. After fall enlistments (my senior year) and we moved into spring, the quota's opened for the summer and I signed up delayed entry for a summer boot camp date and left that summer after graduation. Many thanks to my uncle over a case of beer one weekend for the advice.

EDIT: You say he's still in LE. Have him check on his employers policy, he may have a job protected status for attending schools.

(For Full Disclosure: I was in aviation not an MAA.)

>>>>

Last edited:
He has a degree and he's "enlisting"?
He's 33?
Advice?
Grow a brain

He had a 2.2 GPA in college. They wouldnt give in an officer spot, so he wants to enlist as a Navy MP or CG water police (or whatever it is called, Im not sure).

He could have a 1.0 GPA in college - as long as he has a degree - he could get a commission. Water Police? LOL.....

Stoned?

Yeah, 33 is a bit old. The age limit is 39 or 40 I think. He wants to supplement his current career with it (He is still in LE), and it was a childhood goal he never achieved. No wife, no kids, no mortgage. So, he says "Why not!!?"

I support him, but damn he needs to research a bit!!!

No wife, no kids, no mortgage.....and he wants to join the military instead of managing a Buger King to "supplement his current career" which is working as a cop for 3 years......leaving a mere decade in his resume about which you are unwilling or unable to have described...

:eusa_hand:

Frankly, I think he's better off joining a circus.

..Or he might consider being a lifeguard. Both teen age slaves earn about $11/hr at the local community center as lifeguards, and I have actually seen a guy working with their that is something like 35 yo. Pitiful.

Not sure where Peter Pan belongs, but it sure and hell isn't in the military.

If your brother was 15 you might have cause for concern. He is 33 and a college grad. Isn't it time you let him make a decision for himself?

If your brother was 15 you might have cause for concern. He is 33 and a college grad. Isn't it time you let him make a decision for himself?

Nothing wrong with being concerned for the health, safety and welfare of those you love regardless of age.

Tell him to enlist in the Air Force reserve or Air National Guard...
:clap2:
... he has the education which should make it a cinch for them to take him...

... after basic they will commission him a first lieutenant based on his degree...

... and he can apply for flight training if he so desires.
:cool:

Last edited:
Go Navy if you want to keep your house (and air conditioning) around you. However, if your house sinks, you're fucked.

Marines? Yeah....................sure..........................if you want to become a bullet sponge.

Army? Sure..........................but I think camping in a tent is a hobby, not a lifestyle.

Air Force? Definitely..............................they have better barracks and bases, but your chances for travel are limited (and every other force considers them to be pussies).

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I got him to read up on the Master at Arms. Seems perfect for what he wants, which is basically to serve and get more skills to help in his civilian job. He's gonna tell the recruiter that job is the only thing he'll sign up for.

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I got him to read up on the Master at Arms. Seems perfect for what he wants, which is basically to serve and get more skills to help in his civilian job. He's gonna tell the recruiter that job is the only thing he'll sign up for.

Yanno.............he may wish to think about another job for his first enlistment. When I was in, the rate of MA (Master at Arms) was only for those who were E-4 or above, and I don't think they're gonna be able to enlist as an E-4.

>

Some people seem to think that being a Navy Officer is a jobs program for college graduates, that simply having a 4-year degree means that an individual will receive a commission as an officer.

Sorry, that is not true. The Navy typically, not in all cases - but typically, wants those with technical degrees because serving on ships tends require a good degree of dealing with technical issues. They want hard science, engineering, technical degrees over "liberal arts", "sociology", "political science" degrees. Not saying there are no Navy Officers with those degrees, there are, but they are less competitive then those with hard science/engineering type degrees.

"Education
To become an Officer in the U.S. Navy, you must have received a four-year BS or BA degree from an accredited university and have strong grades. For specifics, contact a recruiter." Qualifications & Commitment : Joining the Navy : Navy.com

Sorry, 2.2 GPA ("C" Average) is not "strong" grades. The implication was that a 1.0 GPA was all that was needed. A Navy Officer recruiter, while probably polite, would probably be laughing at someone with a 1.0 GPA trying for a direct commission.

The Navy is like any other organization, there is a rank & structure and a finite number of billets in the service. Just like any other organization, who gets accepted (offered a job) will vary with economic conditions on a supply-and-demand basis. When times are good economically, there will fewer applicants and the scale may slide down. When times are tough economically, there will be more applicants and the scale may slide up. The Navy (as with all other services) fills a lot of it's projected billets from ROTC type programs which makes sense because they've already forked over the money for education, that makes direct commissioning programs for non-ROTC college graduates the "shock absorber" with quota's fluctuating up and down.

>>>>

Last edited:
>

Some people seem to think that being a Navy Officer is a jobs program for college graduates, that simply having a 4-year degree means that an individual will receive a commission as an officer.

Sorry, that is not true. The Navy typically, not in all cases - but typically wants those with technical degrees because serving on ships tends require a good degree of dealing with technical issues. They want hard science, engineering, technical degrees over "liberal arts", "sociology", "political science" degrees. Not saying there are no Navy Officers with those degrees, there are, but they are less competative then those with hard science/engineering type degrees.

"Education
To become an Officer in the U.S. Navy, you must have received a four-year BS or BA degree from an accredited university and have strong grades. For specifics, contact a recruiter." Qualifications & Commitment : Joining the Navy : Navy.com

Sorry, 2.2 GPA ("C" Average) is not "strong" grades. The implication was that a 1.0 GPA was all that was needed. A Navy Officer recruiter, while probably polite, would probably be laughing at someone with a 1.0 GPA trying for a direct commission.

The Navy is like any other organization, there is a rank & structure and a finite number of billets in the service. Just like any other organization, who gets accepted (offered a job) will vary with economic conditions on a supply-and-demand basis. When times are good economically, there will fewer applicants and the scale may slide down. When times are tough economically, there will be more applicants and the scale may slide up. The Navy (as with all other services) fill a lot of it's projected billets from ROTC type programs which makes since because they've already forked over the money for education, that makes direct commissioning programs for non-ROTC college graduates the "shock absorber" with quota's fluctuating up and down.

>>>>

Excellent Post.

I would only add that certain non-English language skills can also enhance chances of being accepted for military service.

Forum List

Back