Help Me to Help Myself Decide on Christianity

-=d=- said:
No way. No way in the least. Are you telling us you reject one of life's major decisions/faiths at age FIVE, and that's supposed to mean something? Hell, I rejected peas, girls, and baths when I was five. Two of those things have grown quite close to me now.

Christianity makes logical sense. I'd expect most 5 year olds don't have the logic and certainly lack the wisdom to 'reject' Christ.

I'm just saying it never appealed to me, so I didn't reject it, except insofar as going against the norms of my culture and family. You'd have to want it or have it in the first place to reject it. If you are a Christian that doesn't mean you have actively rejected Hinduism for example. You probably didn't care about it in the first place so it's a non-issue. Christianity makes logical sense to some people, but not me. I was non-religious for most of my life and eventually became a practicing Buddhist. Buddhism makes logical sense to me, except the part about reincarnation, which I interpret as a metaphor for interconnectivity of all things. I also don't like the part about not drinking intoxicating beverages! So I interpret that as "don't drink the intoxicating beverages that were around in Buddha's time". He didn't have access to Single Malt Scotch, Champagne, Belgian Ales etc. Poor guy.

It's a matter of taste. I can tell you how great classical music is but if you don't have a feeling for it, you will just get a headache listening to it. Likewise I never had a taste for Christianity. Buddhism gives me a guide to live by, but doesn't require me to suspend my disbelief and accept the supernatural.
:happy2:

For the pro-Christian side, I'd recommend two books, "A Case for Christ" and "A Case for Faith," both by Lee Strobel. The first book establishes Christ as an actual, historic figure and proves his existance in a historical context, then presents a 'case' that the only person he could've been is the son of God. The second addresses the more pressing questions about Christianity, such as how a loving God can "send people to Hell," or why a loving God allows pain and suffering in the world. They're great books.

Matt,

While I am not a Christian myself, I will attempt to help you find your Path. The assumption that is too often made is that another will help you decide, or give you that last piece of information that will set you on your Path. It is not unique to expect others to work for you and give you that information, but nobody knows better than you which questions you really have and how best they can be answered.

The best way to find your Path, religiously as well as physically, is to decide on a destination. It is impossible to find a Map, or even ask directions if you first do not know where you are going, this is true Metaphorically, religiously, and physically.

If you decide that you have the Faith to believe in God then you have a destination, a course of action can be described, basically directions can be given that will help you to reach your destination.

Much like a Travel Agent nobody here can decide on your destination, they can only give suggestions as to which direction you might take your travel. Until you decide, nobody will be able to set you on your Path.

no1tovote4 said:
Matt,

While I am not a Christian myself, I will attempt to help you find your Path. The assumption that is too often made is that another will help you decide, or give you that last piece of information that will set you on your Path. It is not unique to expect others to work for you and give you that information, but nobody knows better than you which questions you really have and how best they can be answered.

The best way to find your Path, religiously as well as physically, is to decide on a destination. It is impossible to find a Map, or even ask directions if you first do not know where you are going, this is true Metaphorically, religiously, and physically.

If you decide that you have the Faith to believe in God then you have a destination, a course of action can be described, basically directions can be given that will help you to reach your destination.

Much like a Travel Agent nobody here can decide on your destination, they can only give suggestions as to which direction you might take your travel. Until you decide, nobody will be able to set you on your Path.
I like this response. I'd go with that Matt.

no1tovote4 said:
Matt,

how zen of you No1!....

-=d=- said:
No way. No way in the least. Are you telling us you reject one of life's major decisions/faiths at age FIVE, and that's supposed to mean something? Hell, I rejected peas, girls, and baths when I was five. Two of those things have grown quite close to me now.

Christianity makes logical sense. I'd expect most 5 year olds don't have the logic and certainly lack the wisdom to 'reject' Christ.

I don't know. I figured out that Santa Claus couldn't exist at about the same age. It wasn't much longer for me that I figured out in much the same way that Chrstianity made no sense. I didn't completely reject it until I was in highschool though when I actually bothered to read the bible.

Powerman said:

I don't know. I figured out that Santa Claus couldn't exist at about the same age. It wasn't much longer for me that I figured out in much the same way that Chrstianity made no sense. I didn't completely reject it until I was in highschool though when I actually bothered to read the bible.

So Santa equates to a life long, life altering decision of faith?

Weird.

You seem to be hiding a lot of fear.

-=d=- said:
So Santa equates to a life long, life altering decision of faith?

Weird.

You seem to be hiding a lot of fear.

No it's pretty simple. Hear me out. I came to the conclusion that Santa was not real because poor kids never got anything worth a shit. So obviously people get whatever they get from their parents. It's a nice cute way to get your kids to behave right. God is analagous to Santa in a way but it's that old people believe in him too. I'm not a full blown atheist but it doesn't take much logic to realize that Christianity is a farse. Just read the bible. It's supposed to be the inspired word of an omnipotent, omniscient God, yet it is full of contradictions and absurdities. If certain parts of the bible are so ridiculous that there is no way anyone could believe in it then why should I believe the other parts? Not to mention the story of Jesus is half plagerised from the Babylonian cult of Mithraism. Much in the same way that the story of Noah and the ark was stolden from the Babylonian tale of the epic of Gelgamesh(sp?)

Powerman said:
Just read the bible. It's supposed to be the inspired word of an omnipotent, omniscient God, yet it is full of contradictions and absurdities.

Again - you label things you don't understand or can't comprehend 'condradiction and farse'. You are clearly intelligent - there's no doubt. Yet you Fear God and truth for some reason...

If certain parts of the bible are so ridiculous that there is no way anyone could believe in it then why should I believe the other parts? Not to mention the story of Jesus is half plagerised from the Babylonian cult of Mithraism. Much in the same way that the story of Noah and the ark was stolden from the Babylonian tale of the epic of Gelgamesh(sp?)

Not even close. I read what you typed, and understand your argument, but you aren't even CLOSE little brother.

-=d=- said:
Again - you label things you don't understand or can't comprehend 'condradiction and farse'. You are clearly intelligent - there's no doubt. Yet you Fear God and truth for some reason...

Not even close. I read what you typed, and understand your argument, but you aren't even CLOSE little brother.

Lable things I don't understand? I understand them. If the bible says in one verse something is black and the next verse it says that it is white it is contradicting itself. For example God said that he would kill Adam if he ate from the forbidden tree yet he didn't. How is that not a contradiction?

Powerman said:
Lable things I don't understand? I understand them. If the bible says in one verse something is black and the next verse it says that it is white it is contradicting itself. For example God said that he would kill Adam if he ate from the forbidden tree yet he didn't. How is that not a contradiction?

That is short-sighted in the extreme. God changed mankind from immortal at that time. In the end, God did kill Adam.

Do you have others?

no1tovote4 said:
That is short-sighted in the extreme. God changed mankind from immortal at that time. In the end, God did kill Adam.

Do you have others?

Do I have others? Oh man I wouldn't know where to start.

Here is a website that helps point out some of the contradictions. It's obviously anti bible but it is using the bible as it's source so it's kinda tough to say it's bias.

Read away

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_book.html

Powerman said:
Do I have others? Oh man I wouldn't know where to start.

Here is a website that helps point out some of the contradictions. It's obviously anti bible but it is using the bible as it's source so it's kinda tough to say it's bias.

Read away

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_book.html

I'm confused why you seem so determined to undermine others' faith. Have they been bothering you?

Powerman said:

Please - get your story correct...

15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

NO Major English version suggests God told Adam "he will kill him" if he eats from the tree.

Adam and Eve SURELY died after they disobeyed God...spiritually. Not a very hard concept for most people to grasp, is it?

-=d=- said:
Please - get your story correct...

Adam and Eve SURELY died after they disobeyed God...spiritually. Not a very hard concept for most people to grasp, is it?

It doesn't sound like he meant spiritually to me. And who are you that you can interpret the bible better than me? You think just because you believe it that you are more qualified to tell me what it means?

Powerman said:
It doesn't sound like he meant spiritually to me. And who are you that you can interpret the bible better than me? You think just because you believe it that you are more qualified to tell me what it means?

More - it CERTAINLY doesn't sound like your suggestion that "God said he would Kill adam if he ate from the tree" now, does it? It's like arguing with a 15 year old. :(

I believe I can interpret the bible better than you because I look at the scripture with objectivity - you look for problems with scripture, and therefore FIND "Problems" which fit your preconceived notions.

Kathianne said:
I'm confused why you seem so determined to undermine others' faith. Have they been bothering you?

Yes. I am a biology teacher at a highschool in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and I'm sick of parents telling me that I can't teach anything about evolution and that if I do teach about evolution I should teach about magic apples and talking snakes as well. That type of nonsense has no place in science class. Luckily for me I'm finishing my degree in electrical engineering because I can't stand this job. And the thing that bothers me is that I didn't even plan on teaching evolution in class because it is better left to college anthropology classes and such but the kids ask me so I tell them what I know about it. Maybe if you had a bunch of bible beaters trying to tell you how to do your job you wouldn't be too happy either. But that's not the real reason I mess with people about their faith. It's an educational process for everyone involved in such discussions.

Edited to add: I also have problems with some Christians politically because they hold back things such as stem cell research and spew hatred towards gays.

Powerman said:
Yes. I am a biology teacher at a highschool in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and I'm sick of parents telling me that I can't teach anything about evolution and that if I do teach about evolution I should teach about magic apples and talking snakes as well. That type of nonsense has no place in science class. Luckily for me I'm finishing my degree in electrical engineering because I can't stand this job. And the thing that bothers me is that I didn't even plan on teaching evolution in class because it is better left to college anthropology classes and such but the kids ask me so I tell them what I know about it. Maybe if you had a bunch of bible beaters trying to tell you how to do your job you wouldn't be too happy either. But that's not the real reason I mess with people about their faith. It's an educational process for everyone involved in such discussions.

Edited to add: I also have problems with some Christians politically because they hold back things such as stem cell research and spew hatred towards gays.

And your administration, what say they?

For the edit, plenty of non-Christians have a problem with gays. As for stem cell research, any documentation that 'they' are having an effect?

Forum List

Back