Help Me to Help Myself Decide on Christianity

mattskramer

Apr 11, 2004
Texas
I'm agnostic but I've been thinking about God & Jesus. The issue has been gnawing at me more and more for the past few months. I like to keep things simple but I also like to hear from both sides. Unfortunately, Christian apologetics is far from simple. (Does God exist or not and can you prove it, If so, does he care about me, Did Jesus exist, Simply put, are the 4 Gospels true, Were they stories pieced together by people who desperately wanted to convenience themselves and others that there is more to life than death, what abut things that seem to be inconsistent or unreasonable in the Bible) If you would, please direct me to a "pro-Jesus" Book or web site that keeps things simple AND direct me to an "anti-Jesus" Book or web site that keeps things simple.

I don't know of any anti Jesus websites but I know of an anti bible website which is pretty thourough although I do think they nitpick every now and then. It's not a short and easy website and it's purpose is obviously to criticize the bible but you might want to check it out if you're interested in learning a few things that Christians won't tell you about the bible.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

mattskramer said:
I'm agnostic but I've been thinking about God & Jesus. The issue has been gnawing at me more and more for the past few months. I like to keep things simple but I also like to hear from both sides. Unfortunately, Christian apologetics is far from simple. (Does God exist or not and can you prove it, If so, does he care about me, Did Jesus exist, Simply put, are the 4 Gospels true, Were they stories pieced together by people who desperately wanted to convenience themselves and others that there is more to life than death, what abut things that seem to be inconsistent or unreasonable in the Bible) If you would, please direct me to a "pro-Jesus" Book or web site that keeps things simple AND direct me to an "anti-Jesus" Book or web site that keeps things simple.

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole--be responsible for your own searching so will be confident that your results are of your OWN experiance.

I would assume stepping away from agnosticism would require effort.

If you want to learn you have to abandon the basic assumption of Agnosticism. Agnosticism is based on the idea that there may or may not be a God but we can never know. You have to abandon the idea that you could never know. It's not exactly easy. But think about it, if there was an all powerful being who created the earth wouldnt it be easy for Himself to make Himself known to those He created?

Second, You have to ask yourself why are you asking? Do you just want to know so you say you know or are you willing to act upon that knowledge. Are you willing to change your life if God reveals Himself to you? Because I tend to think God isnt going to just reveal that He exists unless someone is willing to follow Him.

Like my own experience, I told the Lord that I wanted to know the truth and it didnt matter where I would follow it. It was only after that and much study of the scriptures that I learned for myself that God really is there and loves us and that Jesus does live.

If You want to know whether the Gospels are true, you need to read them and go to God and He will make it known. Reading what others say isnt going to help you because other people dont have the power to convince, only God does.

mattskramer said:

Sounds like you are pretty confused. Because you live in the western world you think Christianity is an option. No doubt Jesus had a lot of good things to say. But then you'll have to hang out with a bunch of Christians who have misinterpreted everything He ever said. Jesus loved the poor, the homeless, criminals, prostitutes, and, God forbid, said, "Love thy neighbor as thyself." How many self professed Christians can say they live up to those high standards? Modern American Christianity is about hating your neighbor because he is not exactly like yourself, or rather what you wish you were.

Don't settle upon anything until you read the Dhammapada. Word for word the most intelligent book ever written. Crosses all cultural barriers and does not need to be reinterpreted for every culture and each new generation.

nucular said:
Sounds like you are pretty confused. Because you live in the western world you think Christianity is an option. No doubt Jesus had a lot of good things to say. But then you'll have to hang out with a bunch of Christians who have misinterpreted everything He ever said. Jesus loved the poor, the homeless, criminals, prostitutes, and, God forbid, said, "Love thy neighbor as thyself." How many self professed Christians can say they live up to those high standards? Modern American Christianity is about hating your neighbor because he is not exactly like yourself, or rather what you wish you were.

Don't settle upon anything until you read the Dhammapada. Word for word the most intelligent book ever written. Crosses all cultural barriers and does not need to be reinterpreted for every culture and each new generation.

Oh, are you talking about the modern American Christians who:

Adopt more foreign kids than any other group

Who run more charities than any other group

who have more food banks for the homeless than any other group

Who have missionaries worldwide who devote their entire lives to helping feed, clothe, shelter and educate kids in third world countries

who contribute more money to the above missionaries and their charities than any other group
Those modern Christians??

Read Josh McDowell and CS Lewis.

McDowell actually set out to prove Christianity as a bogus religion and got converted along the way.

mattskramer said:

You know the old saw: Is that all there is?
If you answer yes, then you have created a finite world for yourself.
If you believe the answer is no, then welcome to the world of the Infinite or God.

Don't know if this is the type of book you are looking for, but this one is a New York Times bestseller and I picked it up recently at Costco: The Purpose Driven Life -- What on Earth Am I Here For? by Rick Warren.

dilloduck said:
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole--be responsible for your own searching so will be confident that your results are of your OWN experiance.

I would assume stepping away from agnosticism would require effort.

I ditto what dillo says. :bow3:

And would like to add that you can find the answers about spirituality without reading any pro or anti-Jesus information.

"But think about it, if there was an all powerful being who created the earth wouldnt it be easy for Himself to make Himself known to those He created?"

Well if he is all powerful wouldn't everything be easy? Maybe there is a God and people have the wrong assumption that God is all powerful. It would seem that if God was all powerful then he would in fact find a simple way to let us know of his existence. But absolutely nothing...

LuvRPgrl said:
Oh, are you talking about the modern American Christians who:

Adopt more foreign kids than any other group

Who run more charities than any other group

who have more food banks for the homeless than any other group

Who have missionaries worldwide who devote their entire lives to helping feed, clothe, shelter and educate kids in third world countries

who contribute more money to the above missionaries and their charities than any other group
Those modern Christians??

Nope, I am not talking about those Christians. I'm talking about the majority of self-professed Christians in this country. Christians who perform charity and adopt unfortunate children are fine in my book. My observation is that the majority do not even understand, much less practice, "love thy neighbor as thyself" or "turn the other cheek".

LuvRPgrl said:
Read Josh McDowell and CS Lewis.

McDowell actually set out to prove Christianity as a bogus religion and got converted along the way.

I'm with CS Lewis and Augustine and Aquinas.

It certainly sounds like you have arrived at the point where you really want to know, so at some point you are going to have to read the Bible. Preparatory to that, you might want to read some books by Christian writers that will stimulate your interest in doing that. The Greatest Story Ever Told by Fulton Oursler would be a good place to start. Also, you might want to place a one-year subscription to Guideposts Magazine and read it each month when it arrives. It is a small, Christian magazine which contains real-life stories of people's experiences with the Christian faith in their everyday lives. Literature like this--cataloging real life experiences-- helps you to know that God is still interested and active in people's lives today.

When you get to the point where you are ready to tackle the Bible, it would be very helpful if you had a good Bible commentary handy to go along with your reading. These commentaries are quite expensive but would be a good investment if you are serious about studying the Bible. If you don't want to spend the money for a commentary, excellent ones are available at public libraries.

mattskramer said:

The most important word you'll have to understand matts is "FAITH". All of Christianity at this point revovles around a belief that God is the creator, and that Jesus was the son of God sent to earth to die for our sins, and was risen from the dead, and to get into heaven, you have to be reborn in the name of Jesus. All this requires "faith" that it's true. God knows what's in your heart.

nucular said:
Nope, I am not talking about those Christians. I'm talking about the majority of self-professed Christians in this country. Christians who perform charity and adopt unfortunate children are fine in my book. My observation is that the majority do not even understand, much less practice, "love thy neighbor as thyself" or "turn the other cheek".

Too often those people serve as a cop-out to those who want to find a reason to reject christianity. Instead of worrying about what self-proclaimed christians do, worry more about what 'you' do. ;)

-=d=- said:
Too often those people serve as a cop-out to those who want to find a reason to reject christianity. Instead of worrying about what self-proclaimed christians do, worry more about what 'you' do. ;)

Even if one still doesn't believe in a God, or organized religion? :D Good point, tho, and I agree.. Take responsibility for yourself, and your own actions regardless of what you believe in. At least then, when you're on your death bed, you shouldn't have any regrets.

-=d=- said:

Good point. But I rejected Christianity instinctively at about age 5. I distinctly remember the minister at my church talking to me and thinking, "This guy is totally full of shit" in my 5 year old way. Since then it has never appealed to me. I just don't get it. The way Christians act or don't hasn't made me reject it.

nucular said:
Good point. But I rejected Christianity instinctively at about age 5. I distinctly remember the minister at my church talking to me and thinking, "This guy is totally full of shit" in my 5 year old way. Since then it has never appealed to me. I just don't get it. The way Christians act or don't hasn't made me reject it.

No way. No way in the least. Are you telling us you reject one of life's major decisions/faiths at age FIVE, and that's supposed to mean something? Hell, I rejected peas, girls, and baths when I was five. Two of those things have grown quite close to me now.

Christianity makes logical sense. I'd expect most 5 year olds don't have the logic and certainly lack the wisdom to 'reject' Christ.

-=d=- said:
No way. No way in the least. Are you telling us you reject one of life's major decisions/faiths at age FIVE, and that's supposed to mean something? Hell, I rejected peas, girls, and baths when I was five. Two of those things have grown quite close to me now.

Christianity makes logical sense. I'd expect most 5 year olds don't have the logic and certainly lack the wisdom to 'reject' Christ.

Peas and girls, or peas and baths? :D

Forum List

Back