Helen Thomas to the Jews: Get the hell out of Palestine!

What do you think about Helen Thomas's remarks?

• She was right

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • She was wrong

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Other - I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
I think this whole affair, and others like it, are very revealing. It's obvious that there are some poster who will condemn despicable remarks regardless of their source, while there are some who will defend it when it comes from their side.

Regardless of her record, or her intent, the remark is despicable. It is just as racist as calling someone a "raghead". Some things are racist regardless of intent

Helen Thomas is not and has rarely been on my side about anything. She is an old fashioned liberal Democrat though not of the wacko wingnut variety. And she has been anti-Israel for a very long time now.

Her remarks was of the stupidly imprudent variety, but I assign nothing more to them than the imprudence of them. And being apparently a one-person advocate to banish all stupid political correctness from the culture, I am of the opinion that one or even a few imprudent remarks should not negate an otherwise competent and distinguished career no matter who the person is.

Her crassness and stupidity are not new, and it is just part and parcel of her inability to think to step two on any subject.

I don't think she qualifies as an anti semite. She is just a generalized jerk, sort of like the kind of behavior your expect to see out of Dabney Coleman, Danny Divito, Sam Kinnison or Steve Martin.

The dumbest question I ever heard was from her. " Are there any terrorists in Pakistan, Mr. President??? I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair. I am still laughing.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think this whole affair, and others like it, are very revealing. It's obvious that there are some poster who will condemn despicable remarks regardless of their source, while there are some who will defend it when it comes from their side.

Regardless of her record, or her intent, the remark is despicable. It is just as racist as calling someone a "raghead". Some things are racist regardless of intent

Actually, it's not technically racism because there is no Jewish race. It's a religion.

You are right that Jews are not a race, but the racists believe differently.

And she wasn't saying that only the religious jews should leave. She meant all jews, including the secular jews, who according to jewish law are just as jewish as any religious jew

Actually, it's not technically racism because there is no Jewish race. It's a religion.

Dumbass. It's an ethnicity (also classified as a race) and a religion.

Her crassness and stupidity are not new, and it is just part and parcel of her inability to think to step two on any subject.

I don't think she qualifies as an anti semite. She is just a generalized jerk, sort of like the kind of behavior your expect to see out of Dabney Coleman, Danny Divito, Sam Kinnison or Steve Martin.

The dumbest question I ever heard was from her. " Are there any terrorists in Pakistan, Mr. President??? I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair. I am still laughing.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gee, do you know why you idiot or are you itching to embarrass yourself again? She knows there are terrorists in Pakistan so why did bush name it a major US ally?

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Bush names Pakistan 'major ally'

Ethnicity and race are not the same thing. Race is biologically inherited. Ethnicity is your learned cultural heritage.

So, in the land of the free, where freedom of speech is guaranteed under the constitution, a person who expresses what are deemed to be controversial views is effectively gagged.

I imagine it's just the beginning of a process of public, and media, exclusion for Thomas. That may be a personal problem for her (though, at her age, she may not care). But, as she would be the first to grasp, it has wider implications.

It is one of those rare occasions in which one can see clearly how people in America who are willing to express anti-establishment opinions are demonised, marginalised and finally excluded from public debate.

Did I say "people"? I mean, of course, those who are identified as liberals. Right-wing TV and radio hosts can say what they like, however outrageous. Some iconoclasts are obviously freer than others.
Roy Greenslade: Why did US speaking agency dump Helen Thomas? | Media | guardian.co.uk

Yes. Amazing that a woman could be a successful journalist all those years without having 'looks'.

Yes. Amazing that a woman could be a successful journalist all those years without having 'looks'.

Again, I don't see ugly when I see Helen. I see a unique and interesting looking individual who has honorably earned every wrinkle.

And though I may not be your typical feminist as I am pretty darn conservative, but I do bristle a bit when the point is made to characterize Helen as ugly. The same people don't do that to men no matter how unattractive they might be.

Why is that do you think?

Helen had already earned her journalistic stripes and was first invited into the White House Press Corp in JFK's administration. She has occupied that front row ever since and eventually was crowned honorary 'dean' of that elite group. She has been traditionally given the honor of asking the first question at each meeting.

She is noted for being meticulous for checking sources. My favorite Helen Thomas quote is: "If your mother told you she loved you, you checked it out."

Again, I don't see ugly when I see Helen. I see a unique and interesting looking individual who has honorably earned every wrinkle.

And though I may not be your typical feminist as I am pretty darn conservative, but I do bristle a bit when the point is made to characterize Helen as ugly. The same people don't do that to men no matter how unattractive they might be.

Why is that do you think?

I agree with you.

This Jew says you are wrong....

sammy-davis-jr.jpg

Did I say "people"? I mean, of course, those who are identified as liberals. Right-wing TV and radio hosts can say what they like, however outrageous. ]

Yes, because Rush Limbaugh never lost his position at ESPN over his comments regarding Donovan McNabb and Michael Savage never lost his show on MSNBC over the controversial comments he made either.

Did I say "people"? I mean, of course, those who are identified as liberals. Right-wing TV and radio hosts can say what they like, however outrageous. ]

Yes, because Rush Limbaugh never lost his position at ESPN over his comments regarding Donovan McNabb and Michael Savage never lost his show on MSNBC over the controversial comments he made either.

Not to also mention Jimmy the Greek.
Marge Shott.
Trent Lott.
Don Imus.

And others.

The thing that makes it different this time is that it is a liberal who is censored. But it is just as wrong to damn Helen Thomas for one imprudent remark as it is to ruin others because they say something offensive. One lapse in judgment should not negate an otherwise distinguished career.

Ethnicity and race are not the same thing. Race is biologically inherited. Ethnicity is your learned cultural heritage.

Race is a sociological construct. It has no basis in biology.

That isn't true. There are certain races that are more susceptible to certain diseases, like Scandinavians with Lupus, for instance, or blacks with Sickle Cell Anemia. Society didn't decide that; biology did.

Forum List

Back