Heartening News from Mississippi on the civil rights front

Band director reinstated after originally being fired for having a "half time" show featuring teenagers with "toy" AR-15's mimicking a hostage situation the day after two police officers were gunned down after responding to a 911 call of shots fired.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...d-directors-firing-reversed-suspended-instead

Not really politics, but there's no sarcasm board in current events.
By 'civil rights' I guess you're referring to gun rights?
Sounds like one hell of a school. What a tasteful half time show.

Band director reinstated after originally being fired for having a "half time" show featuring teenagers with "toy" AR-15's mimicking a hostage situation the day after two police officers were gunned down after responding to a 911 call of shots fired.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...d-directors-firing-reversed-suspended-instead

Brookhaven --- where my mother grew up. What a bizarro choreography though. :cuckoo:

I meant the decision to not fire the guy. I mean maybe you can excuse a teacher for not even watching the news, and I gotta say NOBODY could have missed that Brookhaven story because that mult time repeat offender just slaughtered those two poor cops for no reason at all, but to have a halftime show on JohnQ and taking hostages at gunpoint. What possibly could be inappropriate for kids.

I meant the decision to not fire the guy. I mean maybe you can excuse a teacher for not even watching the news, and I gotta say NOBODY could have missed that Brookhaven story because that mult time repeat offender just slaughtered those two poor cops for no reason at all, but to have a halftime show on JohnQ and taking hostages at gunpoint. What possibly could be inappropriate for kids.
I don't know who/what John Q is, but you know me--anything with AR-15's is inappropriate for kids.

I don't know who/what John Q is, but you know me--anything with AR-15's is inappropriate for kids.

And for adults.

And for adults.
John Q is not a bad movie. I watched a little of it, but I thought the premise was trite. Denzel Washington is a father who can't afford a heart transplant for his kid, so he takes an operating room and the personnel hostage.

Why a band director, and a Board of Trustees, would think a teacher shouldn't be fired for allowing kids to play out hostage taking ... is a mystery to me. But it's Jackson Ms, and while the city govt is slowly becoming less a clown show ... the schools are a disaster.

Almost like an entirely different, 3rd world nation over there

Almost like an entirely different, 3rd world nation over there
A weird place for sure. Never thought I'd be here, but it's been 30 years now, LOL. We got our kid to escape to Penn. I will probably quit working in another 10-12 years. My wife's been here even longer, and I think she want's to leave (hopefully not me too (-:) Jackson is definitely less liveable than 30 years ago. African Americans dominate local govt. There's nothing intrinsically less capable of them, but you can't deny an entire race a seat at the government table for .... for the entire history of the state up until the 1970s and expect competence.

My neighbor whose family was from here for generations retired and moved to Sewanee TN 15 years ago, and told me it would be two generations before anything got better. The current mayor is the son of a civil rights "radical," and one of the city council members is the son of a local judge .... and he went to Hah-vahd. LOL

I'm still not sure I want to leave. I definitely want out of the house and yardcare biz. But that would be true no matter where.

There was POLLEN on my windshield this morning!

Its good for kids to know how to handle a rifle

It greatly improves their accuracy when they come in to shoot up their classmates.

It greatly improves their accuracy when they come in to shoot up their classmates.
Those kids at Forrest Hill cannot afford AR's. It's a testament to humanity that so many grow up to be productive citizens. And that's what makes letting the band director stay so disheartening.

Sure. It's not good to encourage them to take up a rifle and hold hostages when you don't get your way.

You took that too far bro

Sure. It's not good to encourage them to take up a rifle and hold hostages when you don't get your way.
Of course not!

I have no idea what this has to do with civil rights . I hope that teacher was told "no more stupid fake hostage half time shows"

No, I think them there shooters are the ones who took it too far.

Me, I've never shot anybody.

No, I think them there shooters are the ones who took it too far.

Me, I've never shot anybody.
You didn't take it too far. Jackson is in the top 5 of cities of blacks killing blacks.

I have no idea what this has to do with civil rights . I hope that teacher was told "no more stupid fake hostage half time shows"
What's hard for me to wrap my head around is a teacher who thought it was appropriate in the first place. They're gun toters down in Mississippi, I guess.

What's hard for me to wrap my head around is a teacher who thought it was appropriate in the first place. They're gun toters down in Mississippi, I guess.

They're gun toters in every corner of this country. That's the wages of a sick social fetish.

I haven't seen overt gun toting in that part of MS, not that that means in any way it doesn't exist, but it's more flagrant to the immediate southwest of there.

Forum List

Back