Healthcare rationing November 2012

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
The other day we took a trip to the Pediatrician due to a pimply rash on Jr's bottom.

Doc does just a visual inspection and prescribes an antibiotic and cleansing soap. If it does not go away after two weeks or comes back I am to call back.

Guess the popping of a pimple and testing the pus was more than Aetna felt was necessary even though there was no risk to the patient and it could turn out to be one of them anti-biotic resistant strains or worse.

Oh well.

Is this an Obama-care regulation or just a case of the private insurance company rationing healthcare?

lol. I was not that important. I also do not have privy to what other tests were ordered on Aetna's dime before me that day.

When submit damage or warranty claims at my work any unusual patterns can have an effect on what we submit. Perhaps if the doc felt they were running up Aetna's tab and getting close to a "magic percentage" no test is scheduled. Perhaps Anthem is looser with the purse strings?

lol. I was not that important. I also do not have privy to what other tests were ordered on Aetna's dime before me that day.

When submit damage or warranty claims at my work any unusual patterns can have an effect on what we submit. Perhaps if the doc felt they were running up Aetna's tab and getting close to a "magic percentage" no test is scheduled. Perhaps Anthem is looser with the purse strings?

Surely you know that this is exactly what ACA addresses? And, FORBIDS. I keep saying this but apparently, many rw's do not yet know that ACA mandates that 80 cents of every dollar be spent on patient care.

You really need to educate yourself as to the timeline of ACA. Start here

Implementation Timeline - Kaiser Health Reform

There are links from that page to others that may be helpful.

Why do you believe your doctor does not believe you/your child is "that important"? You also seem to believe that you do not have the right to more information. Have you called your insurance provider? Have you asked your doctor why he/she chose that course of treatment?

The doctor took the least invasive approach because his experience told him that the least invasive approach will more than likely clear up the rash. Your child's bum bum isn't the first he's seen. IF that does not work in two weeks time he said to come back. AT THAT TIME he would take the next step, which would likely be to run tests.

How's your kid's bum doing with what the doc prescribed?

The doctor took the least invasive approach because his experience told him that the least invasive approach will more than likely clear up the rash. Your child's bum bum isn't the first he's seen. IF that does not work in two weeks time he said to come back. AT THAT TIME he would take the next step, which would likely be to run tests.

How's your kid's bum doing with what the doc prescribed?

Oh, the kid's bum is no longer getting worse. I also suspect the doc knows her stuff and things will PROBABLY get better. I imagine its only a 1/100th type chance this is a nasty infection.

Still I view the popping of a pimply sore as so minorly invasive the cost of the test has to be the only reason not to do it.

Thanks for the link up there btw.

I can't imagine anything more basic than informing one's self and yet, rw's here refuse to do so.

That's their choice but it is the most utterly stupid thing I've ever seen, bar none.

Forum List

Back