Health care chat

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by editec, Apr 2, 2009.

1. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Friend of mine 50 y.o, a long time consturction worker just had a quadruple bypass.

Cost? $80,000.

He's worked his whole life, paid taxes his whole life and been a stand up guy who raised a family.

Now, if our libertarians chums had their way, he'd have died.

Why?

Because that guy hasn't gotten health care benefits in decades, that's why.

Yeah he can drive bulldozer or build a house, but he couldn't find a consturcution jo with any company big enough and well connected enough to pay for his health care.

Is he NOW a parasite to our community?

According to what many of you have said in the past, many of you must think he is.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Not I.

I think what would have been more beneficial to him would have been preventive care throughout his adult life, which may have prevented the need for bypass surgery.

3. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Amazing how that works here is it not. Dad had bladder cancer twenty plus years ago. specifically the cancer was caused from the type of radition he was exposed to while building additions to a nuclear plant. the first doctor he had was a quack. By the time he reached a true doctor for treatment it was to late to save his bladder and his chances for survival was at 5%. So they took out his bladder and built him what is called a neo-bladder from large and small intestines. The year before last he had an annuerism about the size of an apple. Surgery was intensive to repair the annuerism due to the fact his internal plumbing is already re-arranged. Just a few weeks ago he had a mini stroke. Evidently he has a heart valve not working properly.

It was fine and dandy for society to use and abuse his body and talents back in the days that society needed to build sources for infrastucture yet now he is considered a drain on society although they still use those plants that he and others helped to build.

He is seventy plus and he still smokes (it is his business and no one elses) and much of the current society wants to tax the shit out of him and tell him how he must live to meet with their expectations or else. Pay $700.00 plus a month for limited insurance that only covers medical needs that "we approve" anything else is above and beyond and "you pay for it."

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Possibly.

But all the prentive care in the universe won't prevent each and every one of us (unlucky enough not to simply drop dead without warning, I mean) from eventually needing major medical care.

And for the majoirty of people in this nation MAJOR medical care typically means something costing more than their net worth.

This continues to be a problem we have yet to solve.

5. Yukon

Yukon BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    AUDITOR,

I had a similar experience on Christmas Eve 2004 - chest pains, hospital, confirmed heart attack. I was in for a week and was transferred to the Trillium Heart Centre in Toronto where fortunately the blockage was corrected with a stent. Your Mum will be fine. Just don't smoke, take the meds, and watch the diet, walk a bit more.

Don't worry.................

Yukon

6. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    My brother was 36 when he passed away. He was a fisherman, buff, in great shape, better shape than the rest of us and his arteries were 98% blocked. He knew something was wrong but had no insurance. He'd just had tests to find out if he had cancer and they came back negative. No time to discover what was really wrong before he died.

Preventative care is wonderful, for those who can afford it.

7. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Preventive care should be affordable, and for those that cannot afford it, there should be help.

Because what is not affordable for anyone, is treatment of problems after they happen.

It is less expensive to change your oil and filter several times a year then it is to replace your car engine when it burns out.

8. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    I agree, but that's not the way our society works. We provide free EMERGENCY care to people who can't afford it otherwise, but we don't provide free preventative care.

9. Yukon

Yukon BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Unfortunately in the USA if a person cannot afford Health Care Insurance he or she will die if they become seriously ill.

10. suela50

suela50 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same thing done in nov. Had 2 stents put in. Was95% blocked in 2 places. 3 months later was having pain. Did not think much of it seeing they open it with the stents. How wrong i was went back in for another cath. And was almost 100%blocked with scare tissue.never was getting better. All on the right side.was told it could happen again. They put 2 more stents in. I am on pins and needles now. Because my cobra ins. Runs out in3 months. My mother died when she was 33 of the same thing. I do want to live. Cant find any ins. That will take me