Headlines: Being an Eternal Optimist is Dang Hard These Days

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Foxfyre, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,385
    Every day I wake up feeling pretty good. Most of my family are well. I have a roof over my head, food in the fridge, electricity, heating, cooling, and enough money to enjoy an occasonal modest treat for myself. And I live the the most free, most generous, most prosperous, most optimistic country in the world. All things considered, life is good.

For now.

But I have to admit that lately each day's headlines have been something of a downer and reinforce a nagging concern that we need to refocus on those things that made us the most free, most generous, most prosperous, and most optimistic country in the world and that allows us to enjoy the blessings of all that.

Just today for instance:

For those who think it is wrong that America’s wealthy are so wealthy, here’s some encouragement for you, but for those of us who think it is to the world's advantage that the USA remain a strong superpower, it raises eyebrows:
    And is it unraveling in the Middle East and what will that mean?:

And with a US economy still reeling and competent economists warning of double dip recession:

Yep. It is a major struggle for us eternal optimists these days.

Will this too again pass?

Or could we dig ourselves into a hole that we can't climb out of?

2. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    The best has already been and today is better than tommorrow will be.

Enjoy it while you can.

3. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,385
    Do you really believe that Mr. Clean? You really believe we can't regain our momentum so that our best days are ahead of us?

4. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Yes, I do.

And here's a reason why. There are too many of us and , with our manufacturing base all but gone, not enough decent paying jobs that people without extensive education or skills can work and still make a resonable middle class living.

5. Mr.Fitnah

Mr.Fitnah Dreamcrusher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,673
    Im an optimist. My advice , realize it will get worst , until it gets much worse.
    With that foreknowledge ,you can prepare to help those who are who come to relieve you of the supplies you have set aside for your family and charity .

6. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,074
    Stop right there. An optimist who struggles with optimism today would be a complete failure in the past. Today's difficulties are mostly curable and temporary. I think you are more of a sky is falling, chicken little, than an optimist.

Try thinking of yourself as an Alarmist. It may help with your neurosis.

:eusa_whistle:

7. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,074
    Pity.

Nay saying and fear brokering has won your weak mind over.

sad.

8. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,385
    First, welcome home Mr. F. :)

But I don't know guys. I defnitely think the country is on the wrong track and has been for a long time now.

But then I think back to times when people survived because they were a good enough shot to hit a rabbit or squirrel, when they felled the trees and shaped the logs they used to build their houses with their own hands, when great armies were felled by lesser armies who simply had more right than might on their sides, who overcame the most severe diversities to accomplish great things.

From a rather cruel world made up of dictators, corrupt monarchs, totalitarian governments, that tolerated extreme cruelty, brutality, and enforced violation of basic human rights by imposing serfdom, mandatory underclasses, slavery, and mandatory starvation of whole villages or cities, from abject poverty accepted by those who left all they knew in hopes of something better. . . .

. . . from all that, the human spirit was able to rise above all that to create and build the most free, most just, most prosperous, most innovative, and more generous nation on Earth.

Are there no people left with the spirit, courage, and insight to rise above the current mess we find ourselves in?

9. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,074
    again, another fool on a ship of delusion.

the above is not optimism.

*sigh

Fitnah, once again offers proof: http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-flame-zone/122319-posts-shows-that-at-least-80-of-usmb-posters-have-a-large-mental-defect.html

10. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,819

You keep telling yourself that and some day when reality sets in, you'll agree with me that we're fucked.