Hawaii Republican State Senate Candidate Supports Execution Of Gays

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Oct 26, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    whoa, this is what i'm talking about with homophobes... this guy is nuts and should be trounced in the polls, but sadly he will probably win with this kind of rhetoric

i voted bush and support a good number of republican legislative efforts as of late, but this is why i can't pledge allegiance to the republican party. bush is great, but some of the people who support him scare the HELL out of me (the dems got their wackos too but i take exception to idiots like this who preach murder and hate)

http://scottmaui.dailykos.com/story/2004/10/25/5445/1320

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

Do Republicans really want to claim this guy belongs to their Party? :wtf:

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    if i were a major republican leader like bill frist or john warner, i would call this guy out and tell him to quit shaming the party and president. what a jag-off

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    wha??

No, no no no...

that's not what he said.

He was speaking about the 300,xxx people who have 'suffered the death penalty as a result of homosexual activity' then he asked 'would you support that?" - he said something very close to 'well, that is the law of the land'...

Not even CLOSE to 'Everyone found in homosexual acts should be executed'.

Use common sense and reason when viewing such baited, biased material.

5. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    come on

that sounds too much a cop-out like "I was just following orders"
    or "hey i don't like that terrible law, but i don't want to speak up and do something about it, that's too hard, i'll just let it stand and hurt people"

he plainly answers, yes i would support a law that supported the execution of people found guilty of performing homosexual acts.

give me 100 other politicians, democrat or republican, and 98 of the 100 would say hell no.

congress/state legislatures aren't the military, you're allowed to be disobedient and oppose something you think is wrong (and hell even in the military there are avenues and routes you can take to oppose something you think is wrong, like an unlawful order or a dangerous direction)

basically, what you're really telling me is he lacks the moral courage to say or do the right thing. that ain't what i or most people would want in a politician/leader.

i hope he loses in a landslide, his buddy alan keyes is about to do so in illinois with divisive, heinious views and positions like this

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,201
    You guys are trying to spin this big time. Any politician must follow the laws of the land. As he clearly said. If thats the law then yes he will follow it. The issue isnt whether gays should be executed but rather if he would follow the laws of the land even if he disagrees with them as is required by the Constitution.

7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i know plenty of politicians who don't follow the laws of the land if they disagree with them on a moral basis. they protest them, assist folks trying to bring the law before the supreme court, etc etc. what the hell do you think all the people back in the 50's and 60's did in the civil rights movement? if politicians and others had "followed the law" blacks would still be second class citizens. if abolitionists had followed the "law" there never would have been an underground railroad.

basically, you are allowed to oppose and work against unjust laws. the day americans stop doing that is a horrible day and the day we become just like europe or china.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Cop outs? We see a question being asked, without context. Notice it was edited to right before the question was asked. What we did NOT see may have been "If you were working as an executioner, and the country had a law stating all homosexuals would be put to death, and that law had been on the books for 1000 years, and was 'the norm', and everyone enjoyed the law, and we had implants which controlled our thoughts to support the law, would you support the law?"

What we have is a video used to illicit emotional response, and push down 'reason'.

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,201
    You can oppose unjust laws all you want. But you cant disobey them because you feel like it, you have to follow the legal method of changing them. If any politician can disobey the laws of the land for moral reasons i think its time we see them crack down on abortion.

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    ? Do you feel the Mayor of SF was 'right' in issuing gay couples marriage licenses? That was 'against the law' - when that mayor took office he vowed to 'uphold the law'.

When public servicemen and women take office - and even in the military, they vow to uphold the laws and lawful orders of those appointed over them. EVEN IF THEY DO NOT AGREE.

If the 'law' stated homosexuals caught in the act were to be executed, he'd have no choice. He wasn't asked if he'd try to CHANGE the law.

That interview was bullshit. Pure crap. It was an attack on the man - and ambush.

I am SO happy the majority of americans do NOT support special rights for homosexuals.