Hawaii “Islam Day” secretly marks September 11

Angel Heart

Conservative Hippie
Jul 6, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Hawaii “Islam Day” secretly marks September 11

Introduced March 4 as HCR100 by Reps Faye Hanohano (D-Puna), Lyla Berg (D-Hawai`i Ka`i), and Della Au Belatti (D-Makiki) HCR proposed Islam Day to be “November 21, 2009, marks the anniversary of the founding of Islam….” But that was soon amended to HCR100HD1 which intones, “the Prophet Mohammad left his house to migrate to Madinah and reached Quba in the vicinity of Madinah on the 12th day of Rabi ul-Awwal according to the lunar calendar, or September 24th according to the Gregorian calendar, thereby marking the birth of Islam….” (Emphasis added)

This is false. September 24th is the date of Mohammad’s arrival in Medina according to the old Julian calendar—which is 13 days behind the modern Gregorian calendar. The fact that “Gregorian” is mentioned in the resolution implies that somebody was considering the two calendars.

More...

This is actually false. The Gregorian and Julian calendars have only been 13 days apart since 1900 AD. The difference between the two increases by one day every 400 years. Because the events in question occurred in the seventh century, the difference between the Julian and Gregorian dates of those events would be less than thirteen days.

In addition to the source, there are two problems with this article. The first I've already explained. The second is that it claimed this was planned by "Muslims" who "tricked" the legislature into creating this holiday. That's retarded. Beside the fact that there are almost no Muslims in Hawaii, I highly doubt that any of the Muslims who do live there invented some ingenious ploy to trick all of Hawaii's representatives into creating this holiday, which they supposedly believed would fall on September 11th.

You all scream about seperation of church and state but don't scream now... Interesting...

Personally, I see no reason for the holiday and would have probably voted against it. I was merely pointing out that it wouldn't fall on Sept. 11th, nor was it likely to have been passed due to the efforts of Muslims.

This is actually false. The Gregorian and Julian calendars have only been 13 days apart since 1900 AD. The difference between the two increases by one day every 400 years. Because the events in question occurred in the seventh century, the difference between the Julian and Gregorian dates of those events would be less than thirteen days.

In addition to the source, there are two problems with this article. The first I've already explained. The second is that it claimed this was planned by "Muslims" who "tricked" the legislature into creating this holiday. That's retarded. Beside the fact that there are almost no Muslims in Hawaii, I highly doubt that any of the Muslims who do live there invented some ingenious ploy to trick all of Hawaii's representatives into creating this holiday, which they supposedly believed would fall on September 11th.

If this is true then why pass an 'Islam Day' in Hawaii?

You all scream about seperation of church and state but don't scream now... Interesting...

Personally, I see no reason for the holiday and would have probably voted against it. I was merely pointing out that it wouldn't fall on Sept. 11th, nor was it likely to have been passed due to the efforts of Muslims.

Thank you for that info.

I wouldn't be fine with a day like this for any faith group. It's shows favoritism of one over another. If we tried to give each religion a day we'd run out of days of the year if we tried to please each group.

List of religions and spiritual traditions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you for that info.

I wouldn't be fine with a day like this for any faith group. It's shows favoritism of one over another. If we tried to give each religion a day we'd run out of days of the year if we tried to please each group.

Doesn't National Pray Day cover all religions? Isn't that what it's for? Oh yeah, Obama gave that a pass this year.

If this is true then why pass an 'Islam Day' in Hawaii?
Beats me.

Thank you for that info.

I'm glad we agree. Religious people should celebrate religious holidays; not the state.

Forum List

Back