Have you had a visit from the Census Bureau yet???

Discussion in 'Politics' started by txlonghorn, Mar 1, 2010.

1. txlonghorn

txlonghorn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
  2. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,039
  3. txlonghorn

txlonghorn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    homeland security is beginning a door to door campaign. need a job? it's part of the "stimulus" plan. they are gonna pay people to go door to door and find out EVERYTHINNG about you. Doesn't that give you a warm and fuzzy feeling?

4. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    I worked the census back in 1980. Every address gets sent a form. All the forms that come back get run through the great computer "Deep thought."
    Forms with errors get flagged (things like responses don't match, are skipped, what have you)
    The forms with errors get sent back to local census districts, which send out enumerators to see about fixing errors.
    Also, all addresses where no form came back get sent to the local districts as well.
    Two sets of enumerators go out with books showing missed and erroronous forms. They do interviews. "Were you living here on census day? If yes, can we please fill out the form" I had to help a couple folks with issues like Parkensons and the like fill out their forms. No biggie.
    Folks with bad eyesight had to have a little help too.
    If the place was vacant, we marked it down as a vacant house.

Not a real big deal.

And some folks just refused to answer the long form, which got sent to about 12% of households. The questions were just a little bit to personal. We just marked "refused" and went on.

Enumerators also go out in the month before census, just driving around looking at addresses, making sure that they aren't vacant lots and the like.

Not a biggie.

The big push is that large numbers of minorities think the questions are targeted for reasons outside the constitutional mandate. And some folks just get skipped. There was a big issue with the 1980 census where many cities thought that there was a huge undercount.
    This mattered to them because many government programs to assist cities were based on population. If the population was 5% lower than the city thought it should be, the city was in a world of hurt.
    Anyway, the big push is to convince folks that no, this is not big brother looking to arrest you, this is just a head count.

There have been issues where people claiming to be census workers have been out there trying to get credit card numbers and the like. Cops are on the watch for them too.

5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I worked the 80 census as a kid. I was a "followup enumerator" paid piece meal. I had doors slammed, dogs sicked on me, and someone threatened to shoot me if I didn't get off their property. Please don't do this. The workers are just doing their job like the rest of us schmucks.

6. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    I just posted something about that here:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ng-about-the-coming-census-4.html#post2053630

7. QUENTIN

QUENTIN VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Worked the 2000 census. Am quite concerned with the accumulation of information the government is collecting about private citizens, which they do through surveillance and warrantless wiretaps and COINTELPRO-like programs through the FBI and local law enforcement with much of it made legal by the Patriot Act.

Those concerned about the Census, however, are paranoid delusionals being cynically manipulated. As Baruch said, it's just a head count.

8. txlonghorn

txlonghorn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Feel free to give them every bit of info you want that they aren't authorized to have. But they can kiss my ass.

If it was just a head count, then they wouldn't need a picture of your house.

9. txlonghorn

txlonghorn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    wiretaps and COINTELPRO? and you call others paranoid and delusional?

10. AvgGuyIA

AvgGuyIA Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,455
    Personally, I don't have a problem with the Census. I do, however, admire those who are stubborn about it out of fear that you can't trust government. This sort of attitude keeps the G-men on their toes and a little hesitant about butting their noses into our private business.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1