Analysis: Republicans setting filibuster record

beowolfe

Aug 3, 2009
WASHINGTON – The filibuster — tool of obstruction in the U.S. Senate — is alternately blamed and praised for wilting President Barack Obama's ambitious agenda. Some even say it's made the nation ungovernable.

Maybe, maybe not. Obama's term still has three years to run.

Analysis: Republicans setting filibuster record - Yahoo! News

If a bill passes the senate 98-2, why would it have been filibustered? Not sure, but the GOP is doing just that!

So, if they get health insurance reform rammed down their throats through reconcilliation; it looks like they'd have earned it.

From the article:
"With the Senate now made up of 100 members, two for each of the 50 states, an opposition filibuster can only be broken with 60 votes — a three-fifths majority."

Or what the Democrats had for most of the first year of Obama's Presidency and fall just one vote short of now.
Fucking idiots. Stomp them.

From the article:
"With the Senate now made up of 100 members, two for each of the 50 states, an opposition filibuster can only be broken with 60 votes — a three-fifths majority."

Or what the Democrats had for most of the first year of Obama's Presidency and fall just one vote short of now.

Funny how you just assume that independents will just automatically vote with the democrats. Besides, that's not the point of the article. A device designed to protect minority rights in the Senate is being used even when the majority of the minority votes FOR the bill!!

From the article:

Funny how you just assume that independents will just automatically vote with the democrats. Besides, that's not the point of the article. A device designed to protect minority rights in the Senate is being used even when the majority of the minority votes FOR the bill!!

You mean "Independent" ..singular.
Yea the Democrat goons sure showed Liebermann.

Last edited:
Barbara Sinclair, a political scientist at the University of California–Los Angeles, recently found that 70 percent of bills today face filibuster, compared with 8 percent of legislation in the 1960s. There are dozens of bills passed by the House languishing in the Senate, Cardoza adds. "While I have more love for some than others, I know there are at least a few gems in there. And I believe the Constitution says 51 is a majority." Democrats note that pressure to call the Republican "bluff" is growing not simply among their colleagues in Congress but among constituents as well. Democratic leaders add that they are increasingly inclined to listen to them, particularly with midterm elections looming.

http://http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/2010/02/22/some-democrats-hope-for-republican-filibusters.html

From the article:

You mean "Independent" ..singular.
Yea you the Democrat goons sure showed Liebermann.

No, I meant 'independents'. There are two of them in the senate; but of course knew that right?

In 1974 we scored 4 TDs in the first quarter. The first series in the 2nd quarter our tail back had his head about ripped off twice as the result of a face mask penalty.
I hit 2 HRs in Legion ball in 1 game in 1973. The 3rd, 4th and 5th time at the plate I was beaned by fast balls and awarded first base all by different pitchers.
The Republicans are getting THEIR ASSES KICKED in Congress.
They have nothing else other than the bean ball or late hit of politics:
The fillibuster.

What do you expect from AP and Yay-hoo snooz? :rolleyes:

Are you denying that the GOP is fillibustering at a record pace?
Up until the election of Scott Brown, they couldn't filibuster at all.

The only one living in denial here is you.

Wrong.
You know as well as I, The Democratic Party is the only party where one can be so opposed to everything the Party stands for but still be a member of it. Lincoln, Landreu, LIEberman, Nelson..All Republicans..They only wear the tag Democrat. So yes, the party of NOP have been fillibustering at a record pace.

Forum List

Back