Hate working on Newer autos....

A

archangel

Two days ago my Grandaughters 1993 Mustang Conv...died..would not start...so she called old G/pa since I gave it to her..well I remembered another thread about Computer brains and all...so I borrowed a diagnostic unit from a friend...the pcu/ecm/icm were functioning A-okay...checked for spark..all was well...thought to myself must be a fuel problem...so checked the pressure regulator on the fuel injection...tested okay...but still no fuel...did another check and found no fuel was getting to the regulator...so I said okay the fuel pump is dead...and it was...bad news the fuel pump is located internally in the gas tank...so a 30 minute job turned out to be a 2hr job...R&R of the gas tank just to replace a simple fuel pump...and it cost some $91.80 for this simple electric pump...can't just add a 'inline' pump as the computer will not read it as operational...so much for the simple way of life... :bang3:

archangel said:
Two days ago my Grandaughters 1993 Mustang Conv...died..would not start...so she called old G/pa since I gave it to her..well I remembered another thread about Computer brains and all...so I borrowed a diagnostic unit from a friend...the pcu/ecm/icm were functioning A-okay...checked for spark..all was well...thought to myself must be a fuel problem...so checked the pressure regulator on the fuel injection...tested okay...but still no fuel...did another check and found no fuel was getting to the regulator...so I said okay the fuel pump is dead...and it was...bad news the fuel pump is located internally in the gas tank...so a 30 minute job turned out to be a 2hr job...R&R of the gas tank just to replace a simple fuel pump...and it cost some $91.80 for this simple electric pump...can't just add a 'inline' pump as the computer will not read it as operational...so much for the simple way of life...

yeah, i know the feeling. We went through about $200 in diagnostics before we figured out that the reason my car would just randomly kill, and randomly not start, was a stupid crankshaft position sensor. There were a few other things wrong too (fuel pressure regulator leaked onto that and a few other parts, including the catylidic convertor), but the computer would only read that particular sensor as being not working WHEN it was not working, which was not all the time...we almost replaced the fuel pump thinking that was failing but not reading, because the car wasn't getting fuel... I love new cars because of the technology, and the comfort, but I hate that even a knowledgeable home mechanic can't fix most of the problems anymore. my turn... :bang3:

Forum List

Back