Has the rightwing perception of the homeless changed in recent years?

The hard part is figuring out which panhandler on the corner is legit or a scammer.
The wife and I were driving down Westheimer in Houston the other day and there sits an extremely obese women in a wheelchair talking on her cell phone,smoking a cigarette and holding a sign in the median.
Problem being the median had a seven or eight in curb all the way around it and there's absolutely noway that women rolled up on it.
Then there's the guy on I-10 who walks like he's extremely crippled dragging his foot and the whole bit,but if you look at his tennis shoes they show no unusual wear.

I've helped some homeless but I've also learned to be skeptical.

I hear you. Some say the panhandlers make pretty good money every day. Don't know for sure, but if they are on a busy street, only a small percent of people need to drop money in their hat. There have been cases where people have offered them jobs or food and the people rejected them. If you hand someone a sandwich when they are asking for money for food and they throw it back at you, it's probably a scam.

What people need is a place to stay and food. If you want to help, direct them to the nearest soup kitchen or homeless shelter. If they aren't interested and just want money, I'd be suspicious. I was sitting at an outdoor café in a city and was finished eating when a man came up and asked if he could take my leftovers. I said sure. I even ordered a couple more hotdogs and handed them to him when I left. He thanked me and started eating right away so I knew he was hungry. I feel for people and wish there were better programs to get people off the street. We always have billions to send to countries that hate our guts and we are always providing for illegal aliens and now refugees, but our own homeless aren't seeing help. Many I've seen seem afraid to approach people so it might be a matter of sending aid workers out to find them and help.

When you look at some welfare recipients, they seem to have money for tattoos, beer, cigarettes and other stupid shit yet still get a lot of tax payer money. In some cases, the people have jobs but since they still qualify for so much aid, the money they make it mostly spending cash. Those who don't qualify for any aid often have very little spending cash after bills are paid.

The hard part is figuring out which panhandler on the corner is legit or a scammer.
The wife and I were driving down Westheimer in Houston the other day and there sits an extremely obese women in a wheelchair talking on her cell phone,smoking a cigarette and holding a sign in the median.
Problem being the median had a seven or eight in curb all the way around it and there's absolutely noway that women rolled up on it.
Then there's the guy on I-10 who walks like he's extremely crippled dragging his foot and the whole bit,but if you look at his tennis shoes they show no unusual wear.

I've helped some homeless but I've also learned to be skeptical.

I hear you. Some say the panhandlers make pretty good money every day. Don't know for sure, but if they are on a busy street, only a small percent of people need to drop money in their hat. There have been cases where people have offered them jobs or food and the people rejected them. If you hand someone a sandwich when they are asking for money for food and they throw it back at you, it's probably a scam.

What people need is a place to stay and food. If you want to help, direct them to the nearest soup kitchen or homeless shelter. If they aren't interested and just want money, I'd be suspicious. I was sitting at an outdoor café in a city and was finished eating when a man came up and asked if he could take my leftovers. I said sure. I even ordered a couple more hotdogs and handed them to him when I left. He thanked me and started eating right away so I knew he was hungry. I feel for people and wish there were better programs to get people off the street. We always have billions to send to countries that hate our guts and we are always providing for illegal aliens and now refugees, but our own homeless aren't seeing help. Many I've seen seem afraid to approach people so it might be a matter of sending aid workers out to find them and help.

When you look at some welfare recipients, they seem to have money for tattoos, beer, cigarettes and other stupid shit yet still get a lot of tax payer money. In some cases, the people have jobs but since they still qualify for so much aid, the money they make it mostly spending cash. Those who don't qualify for any aid often have very little spending cash after bills are paid.
Absolute bullshit.

I want to know from the rightwing on this forum. Do you still see the homeless population as lazy parasites (primarily in the case of panhandling) or do you see the epidemic as the complex issue that it really is?
No as evidenced by the preceding posts.
so daws who should get the housing,the poor citizens living on the streets or those "refugees" they are bringing in?.....just asking....
Whomever is first in line or of greatest need.
many of the homeless in this country deserve to be put in free housing over any "refugees" just by virtue of being citizens....you help your own first,why are not all those middle eastern countries taking in those people?.....Saudi Arabia has lots of land....many muslim countries have lots of land.....just sayin....
Most of Saudi Arabia and the middle east will not support a large population, you must also consider that with a few exceptions the middle east is poor.
sounds like an excuse daws....i find it strange that it seems the only countries that "help" people from this area is everyone except the ones from that area.....SA has lots of wealth and could set up temporary tent villages......other middle eastern countries could take in thousands if they wanted too,but i dont think they want people who dont adhere to whatever sect they adhere to so they dont want them there.....anyway getting back to the part about giving them housing over the homeless of whatever country they are sent too is pretty pathetic,they,the homeless have been first in line for quite a while....

One of my son's friends is a young man who was homeless recently. At the shelter he stayed at, they turned over the cot to get him up at 5:00 a.m., gave him breakfast and made him leave for the day. He was allowed back in for dinner, required to take a shower, go to bed by 8:30 p.m., with lights out at 9:00 p.m.

The guys you see on the street don't want to follow these strict rules so the don't go to homeless shelters.

One of my son's friends is a young man who was homeless recently. At the shelter he stayed at, they turned over the cot to get him up at 5:00 a.m., gave him breakfast and made him leave for the day. He was allowed back in for dinner, required to take a shower, go to bed by 8:30 p.m., with lights out at 9:00 p.m.

The guys you see on the street don't want to follow these strict rules so the don't go to homeless shelters.
False!
I doubt you'd last a week on the street.

False!
I doubt you'd last a week on the street.
???

You're right, the hard core ones don't want the rules and discipline

There are different levels of homelessness.

The highest level are the guys who sleep on a friend's or family member's couch.

During most of my life, our family has taken in this kind of homeless, mostly kids whose parents refused to take care of them. My father has one right now, and I have two.

The next lower level of homeless are people who can't get anyone to take them in and live in shelters.

The lowest level of homeless don't live in shelters but on the streets. These are hard-core drug addicts, alcoholics, and mentally ill. The ACLU won a lawsuit preventing the government from rounding these people up and putting them in institutions where they would be warm and fed.

I want to know from the rightwing on this forum. Do you still see the homeless population as lazy parasites (primarily in the case of panhandling) or do you see the epidemic as the complex issue that it really is?

I say that it has. I use to think they were just lazy and left them alone. Now I run them down because I think they will ask a local politician to tax me to pay for their stuff. It is much easier and cost saving just to shoot one in the head. I usually leave the children alone because they can get jobs either in McDonalds or be sold into white slavery of some kind. I may decide to shoot them to one day but, for now, I think I will leave them alone.

Forum List

Back