Has the Bible ever been proven wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cat got your toungue, Matts?

Nah, he knows Im reading his posts. :) :)

As for your wife, kinda a sidenote, would you believe she loved you if she never said it, but demonstrated it all the time?

As for MM and his required proof, its there, you just refuse to see it.

Why do you find it so hard to believe that I haven't? Two-thirds of the planet don't share your spiritual beliefs...do you honestly believe we're all in denial?

Actually, two thirds believe in a diety/God. So you are in the minority. And the proof is very strong and evident. But you will argue against it, even if its solid proof. ANYTHING, no matter how provable, can be disbelieved and given an arguement against it. The nazis of today deny the holocaust happened. Some 12% still think Elvis is alive, and some dont think we landed on the moon, then we have the OJ trial.

Actually, two thirds believe in a diety/God. So you are in the minority. And the proof is very strong and evident. But you will argue against it, even if its solid proof. ANYTHING, no matter how provable, can be disbelieved and given an arguement against it. The nazis of today deny the holocaust happened. Some 12% still think Elvis is alive, and some dont think we landed on the moon, then we have the OJ trial.
Well said.

How about the "great flood"

Also, the Hebrew? diet God gave them. Until recently, people were not aware of many nutrional aspects of most foods. It turns out the diet presented to the Hebrews? by God is an excellent and very healthy one.
Also the sanitation guidelines in the Torah- 5000 years before man developed germ theory. Quite a preponderance of evidence.

How about the "great flood"

The great flood is a perfect example. Prove to a preponderance of evidence that the entire planet was covered with water and that all of the human beings on this planet are descended from Noah and his family. Provide evidence that in a few centuries, these ark survivors spread to the four corners of the globe, mutated from middle eastern to Asian, caucasian, African, Native American, etc. and in the course of this migration, managed to forget their language, history, and religion. See, if MY deity were to actually flood the entire planet and wipe most of the human race from existence, I would find it pretty diificult to not only forget about him, but to actually make up other deities to take his place.

Also, the Hebrew? diet God gave them. Until recently, people were not aware of many nutrional aspects of most foods. It turns out the diet presented to the Hebrews? by God is an excellent and very healthy one.

Prove, to the same legal standard above, that God gave this diet to the Jews.

You and others keep making the same claim over and over, that there is evidence. I've asked repeatedly for you to present it, and as yet noone has.

And how many of those two thirds have been indoctrined since birth? And how many of those two thirds believe in YOUR god. And there is no solid proof, only faith. And there's nothing wrong with having that, but I don't think it makes you a better person, or me a worse one.

I am a believer, Joz, but I'm not sure that tells us anything about the bible being inerrant.
I know what you're saying. If you take 15 people & ask them to describe the same scene, you'll have a variety of descriptions.

The 66 books of the Bible were written by 40 different authors over a span of about 1600 years. There may be variances in the way they write or describe something but their message is the same. That in itself is a miracle.

You and others keep making the same claim over and over, that there is evidence. I've asked repeatedly for you to present it, and as yet noone has.

I have read lots of evidence given in this thread. You are asking for proof. I don't think anyone CAN prove God exists/Bible is true if someone is determined to doubt. There is evidence to support the Bible. The point of the thread is: can the Bible be DISproven?

The great flood is a perfect example. Prove to a preponderance of evidence that the entire planet was covered with water and that all of the human beings on this planet are descended from Noah and his family. Provide evidence that in a few centuries, these ark survivors spread to the four corners of the globe, mutated from middle eastern to Asian, caucasian, African, Native American, etc. and in the course of this migration, managed to forget their language, history, and religion. See, if MY deity were to actually flood the entire planet and wipe most of the human race from existence, I would find it pretty diificult to not only forget about him, but to actually make up other deities to take his place.

Finally! Some meat! Something other than "yeah-huh" and "nuh-uh."

The premise of the thread is: DISprove these events. Can anyone prove that they DID NOT happen? There is evidence to support the idea of a global flood. Fossils at the tops of mountains, features like the Grand Canyon which had to have been formed by vast quantities of water breaking through a barrier, polystrate fossils, indicating rapid deposition of rock strata... all these features can be found all over the world.

It would not have been necessary for mutations to have occurred for all the different people groups to have arisen. Simple isolation and inbreeding will take care of that.

Oops! Gotta go...

I know what you're saying. If you take 15 people & ask them to describe the same scene, you'll have a variety of descriptions.

The 66 books of the Bible were written by 40 different authors over a span of about 1600 years. There may be variances in the way they write or describe something but their message is the same. That in itself is a miracle.

Well, the message is the same. But is that a man-made phenomenon or a divine one? Ultimately, to me, it's a leap of faith if one wants to believe the bible is inerrant. Of course, there are others of us who, while having faith, believe the bible is intended as allegory and that the reality is much greater than the bits which fit man's understanding.

And that's not intended to insult anyone who believes the bible is inerrant. It's just a leap I don't make.... which is why I think it's all about faith, and not "proof", no matter how one slices it.

I have read lots of evidence given in this thread. You are asking for proof. I don't think anyone CAN prove God exists/Bible is true if someone is determined to doubt. There is evidence to support the Bible. The point of the thread is: can the Bible be DISproven?

I disagree. There has been nothing presented to authenticate Biblical claims other than the Bible itself. The bolded line has been repeated on this board several times and is devoid of any reason. It's circular logic to insist that you have to believe in order to believe. If the world's supposed "greatest truth" can't be backed up with even an iota of tangible evidence, I find it amazing that so many people buy into it. I guess Barnum was right.

It would not have been necessary for mutations to have occurred for all the different people groups to have arisen. Simple isolation and inbreeding will take care of that.

Are all of the people on the planet descended from the ark survivors or not? If they are, then it would have been necessary for all of the races to have evolved from a middle eastern race...and it would have to have occurred in a few generations. Not only doesn't this make any sense at all, but I've never seen any archeological evidence to suggest it happened.

Pick and choose. You select some passages but not others. What about the mustard seed being the smallest seed?

It's probably the smallest seed anybody knew of in that area, and Jesus never said it was the smallest see in the world. The original meaning might have even been something closer to 'the smallest of seeds,' which just implies that it is quite small, not that it is absolutely the smallest seed in the universe. Jesus was a man of the people preaching to an audience of what amounted to peasansts. What good would it have done him to cite the existance of a seed that nobody had ever heard of?

Are all of the people on the planet descended from the ark survivors or not? If they are, then it would have been necessary for all of the races to have evolved from a middle eastern race...and it would have to have occurred in a few generations. Not only doesn't this make any sense at all, but I've never seen any archeological evidence to suggest it happened.

Of course it's possible. Why wouldn't it be? There are no real "races." There are only differences in skin pigmentation. Say a "black" person's skin pigment is denoted MM, and a "white" person's is denoted mm (M for a lot of melanin, and m for a little melanin). Skin pigment "mixes" in the phenotype, so a "brown" or Middle Eastern person's skin pigment would be denoted Mm. If both parents were "brown," their offspring would carry the genes MmMm. Two "brown" people carry possible genetic combinations MMMM (black), MmMm(brown), and mmmm (white) in ONE generation. (This is a very simplified example; there are several genes for skin pigmentation.) A middle eastern couple is the PERFECT gene pool to produce all the different skin pigmentation in their offspring.

"Races" did not evolve. They SURVIVED. A light-skinned people who migrated to a very hot and sunny area would be less likely to survive to breed because of skin cancer. A dark-skinned people who moved to a less sunny environment would be less likely to survive bc their skin blocks more vitamin K, which helps the body produce vitamin D, which aids the absorption of calcium in the bones. Archaelogical evidence: the Neandertal people of Europe left remains with many bent bones. It has been postulated that this was a dark-skinned people who migrated north, and were unable to survive because of bone disease. But, if skin color "adapted" to environment, how does one account for the fact that the Inuit people have brown skin, yet live where ther is not much sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back