Has Anyone Dealt With Sleep Apnea?

Marathon Mike is correct. There are mouthpieces that will stop the snoring and restriction of air. You are not overweight and in good physical shape so the health risks are not as severe. Good luck.

About a year and a half ago I got diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. They recommended a CPAP machine, but I didn't want to do it. I would only snore if I slept on my back, but if I rolled over on my side I was usually good. I would sometimes get a little fatigued during the day, but it wasn't that bad.

Something changed about two weeks ago or so. It seems almost overnight it went from mild to severe. I haven't gotten more than three to four hours of sleep a night for the past couple of weeks. Sleeping on my side isn't preventing it anymore. As soon as I start to dose off I can feel my throat collapse and it's taking me three to four hours to even fall asleep and after an hour or two I wake up gasping for air. I'm like a zombie all day long. I've been getting up late for work. I have only been to the gym once since the problem got worse. My wife kicked me out of our room and I've been sleeping on the couch downstairs for the past week because my constant snorting, and choking, and shifting around in the bed was keeping her awake all night too.

I'm going back to the sleep clinic tomorrow where I assume I'm going to have no other choice but to get that damn machine. I'm worried that wearing that mask will bother me just as much as the apnea. Just curious if anyone else here has or is dealing with the same condition.

My father had that before Sleep Apnea was commonly known. You will need to get one of those machines that keeps the thing clean and sterile as well. Good luck with that. My personal view is that you can beat the condition and avoid the machine by altering your lifestyle, you daytime and sleeping habits, maybe psychology. Hope it works out for you.

About a year and a half ago I got diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. They recommended a CPAP machine, but I didn't want to do it. I would only snore if I slept on my back, but if I rolled over on my side I was usually good. I would sometimes get a little fatigued during the day, but it wasn't that bad.

Something changed about two weeks ago or so. It seems almost overnight it went from mild to severe. I haven't gotten more than three to four hours of sleep a night for the past couple of weeks. Sleeping on my side isn't preventing it anymore. As soon as I start to dose off I can feel my throat collapse and it's taking me three to four hours to even fall asleep and after an hour or two I wake up gasping for air. I'm like a zombie all day long. I've been getting up late for work. I have only been to the gym once since the problem got worse. My wife kicked me out of our room and I've been sleeping on the couch downstairs for the past week because my constant snorting, and choking, and shifting around in the bed was keeping her awake all night too.

I'm going back to the sleep clinic tomorrow where I assume I'm going to have no other choice but to get that damn machine. I'm worried that wearing that mask will bother me just as much as the apnea. Just curious if anyone else here has or is dealing with the same condition.
Yes. Been there! Done that!

It's been several years since I got the C-PAP machine and all the fittings that go with it. It's been just a bit fewer years since I abandoned the thing and all the attachments that I tried in the few years that I tried to use it. The masks drove me away from it.

At first, I liked the machine and what it did for me in regard to getting a full night of good sleep. It took about two weeks to get used to the initial pressure settings that were prescribed for me. The doctor had told me that at first the pressures would be low, then gradually increased by his adjusting the machine every month or so until I got acclimated to higher and higher settings and became able to withstand the settings that he knew would be required for me in the long run.

Hopefully, you are in better condition than I. You see, I have emphysema and chronic bronchitis, otherwise known as COPD. It is incurable but manageable with medications and habit changes. The habit changes include quitting of three things: Smoking, caffeine, and alcohol. I am 75 and have been smoking non-filtered cigarettes since I was 15. I have quit thousands of times...to no avail. I love coffee as a tasty, zero calorie liquid that keeps me from going back to sleep after breakfast, and alcohol in the form of a single malt scotch or a good red wine, both of which will eventually put me to sleep. I haven't given up any of those three.

I have reduced my smoking to less than a pack per day, my caffeine to less than four cups a day, my alcohol to a bit less than an average of 6 bottles per month, though I occasionally open and single-handedly empty one bottle in one evening. (On such rare occasions, that usually aggravates the temperament of my postings here on USMB.)

The first C-PAP delivery attachment was similar to a snorkel mouthpiece and a nose clip. It was unbearable after less than a week. The second was a full face mask which I could stand for only a few weeks. I did notice some better nights of sleep while using it, but I couldn't stand the fact that it was gradually reshaping the flesh of my cheeks and I kept losing the seal in my sleep, causing myself to be awakened in a panic thinking I was about to suffocate. My mouth would get extremely dry with either of them. The machine was obviously not my friend.

The machines are equipped with memory chips that record your every breath so the doctors can analyze your progress. It didn't take my doctor long to figure out that I had reduced my use of the machine to about one night per week just to provide him with some information.

It's been over three years since I last used the machine. My dog has chewed up the hose, two masks and the control cable that runs between the power supply and the machine. Thank God, I didn't have to pay for the machine even though I own it. I have good insurance.

I can tell on my own that my lung function has improved greatly since I quit going to the doctor. They had run tests on me in an airtight chamber that allowed them to measure exactly the volumes of air that I could inhale and exhale under various conditions. I can tell by my present ability and remembering my ability during those tests years ago that both the doctor and his testing agent would be astounded that my improvements are significant and in no way a result of what they prescribed.

My suggestions to you are:

If you smoke a lot of anything, cut it down to half or less of your average consumption.

If you drink a lot of anything, cut it down to half or less of your average consumption.

If you are obese or more than 20% over your ideal body weight, do whatever it takes to lose the excess weight. I used blueberry and kale or spinach smoothies along with a good and filling breakfast of eggs, bacon and toast, coupled with steamed, skinless chicken breasts and red onions for an early dinner, topped off by an average of two 5 oz glasses of wine per evening...to lose over 70 pounds slowly but surely. Drink as much of the green smoothies as you need to keep you stomach satiated during the day. Add some things to make them taste sweeter without adding too many calories. (honey, a banana) There are umpteen green smoothy recipe books. Buy frozen berries and you won't have to add any ice. Ice just tears up the blades of your processor. The berries and room temperature water will work fine. If you use frozen berries and refrigerated water, it may all freeze before you turn on the blender. That happened to me....once.

I'm not saying you should not listen to your doctor and do what he suggests. Just don't expect the C-PAP machine to be a pleasure to use. I'll tell you another secret that I used if you'll PM me and swear to keep it to yourself.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Yes. Been there! Done that!

It's been several years since I got the C-PAP machine and all the fittings that go with it. It's been just a bit fewer years since I abandoned the thing and all the attachments that I tried in the few years that I tried to use it. The masks drove me away from it.

At first, I liked the machine and what it did for me in regard to getting a full night of good sleep. It took about two weeks to get used to the initial pressure settings that were prescribed for me. The doctor had told me that at first the pressures would be low, then gradually increased by his adjusting the machine every month or so until I got acclimated to higher and higher settings and became able to withstand the settings that he knew would be required for me in the long run.

Hopefully, you are in better condition than I. You see, I have emphysema and chronic bronchitis, otherwise known as COPD. It is incurable but manageable with medications and habit changes. The habit changes include quitting of three things: Smoking, caffeine, and alcohol. I am 75 and have been smoking non-filtered cigarettes since I was 15. I have quit thousands of times...to no avail. I love coffee as a tasty, zero calorie liquid that keeps me from going back to sleep after breakfast, and alcohol in the form of a single malt scotch or a good red wine, both of which will eventually put me to sleep. I haven't given up any of those three.

I have reduced my smoking to less than a pack per day, my caffeine to less than four cups a day, my alcohol to a bit less than an average of 6 bottles per month, though I occasionally open and single-handedly empty one bottle in one evening. (On such rare occasions, that usually aggravates the temperament of my postings here on USMB.)

The first C-PAP delivery attachment was similar to a snorkel mouthpiece and a nose clip. It was unbearable after less than a week. The second was a full face mask which I could stand for only a few weeks. I did notice some better nights of sleep while using it, but I couldn't stand the fact that it was gradually reshaping the flesh of my cheeks and I kept losing the seal in my sleep, causing myself to be awakened in a panic thinking I was about to suffocate. My mouth would get extremely dry with either of them. The machine was obviously not my friend.

The machines are equipped with memory chips that record your every breath so the doctors can analyze your progress. It didn't take my doctor long to figure out that I had reduced my use of the machine to about one night per week just to provide him with some information.

It's been over three years since I last used the machine. My dog has chewed up the hose, two masks and the control cable that runs between the power supply and the machine. Thank God, I didn't have to pay for the machine even though I own it. I have good insurance.

I can tell on my own that my lung function has improved greatly since I quit going to the doctor. They g=had run tests on me in an airtight chamber that allowed them to measure exactly the volumes of air that I could inhale and exhale under various conditions. I can tell by my present ability and remembering my ability during those tests years ago that both the doctor and his testing agent would be astounded that my improvements significant and in no way a result of what they prescribed.

My suggestions to you are:

If you smoke a lot of anything, cut it down to half or less of your average consumption.

If you drink a lot of anything, cut it down to half or less of your average consumption.

If you are obese or more than 20% over your ideal body weight, do whatever it takes to lose the excess weight. I used blueberry and kale or spinach smoothies along with a good and filling breakfast of eggs, bacon and toast, coupled with steamed, skinless chicken breasts and red onions for an early dinner, topped off by an average of two 5 oz glasses of wine per evening...to lose over 70 pounds slowly but surely. Drink as much of the green smoothies as you need to keep you stomach satiated during the day. Add some things to make them taste sweeter without adding too many calories. (honey, a banana) There are umpteen green smoothy recipe books. Buy frozen berries and you won't have to add any ice. Ice just tears up the blades of your processor. The berries and room temperature water will work fine. If you use frozen berries and refrigerated water, it may all freeze before you turn on the blender. That happened to me....once.

I'm not saying you should not listen to your doctor and do what he suggests. Just don't expect the C-PAP machine to be a pleasure to use. I'll tell you another secret that I used if you'll PM me a swear to keep it to yourself.

Cheers!

good post buddy!

My uncle and a cousin has it. Both went in for a sleep study and both wear the mask. They say it doesn't bother them at night. That really sucks because both are older and overweight

Yeah, it's more common with people who are obese, but I'm not. My avatar is a picture of me and you can see I'm not fat. I don't know what has caused me to get this.
Oh, get outta here! That's your son!

I wear a mask every night. It took a while to get used to feeling it on me, but modern machines are smart and lower the pressure when they sense you don't need as much, so there's less of a feeling like you stuck your head out of the car window at 50mph. Believe me, once you fall asleep, you really sleep.

It's worth it.

I wear a mask every night. It took a while to get used to feeling it on me, but modern machines are smart and lower the pressure when they sense you don't need as much, so there's less of a feeling like you stuck your head out of the car window at 50mph. Believe me, once you fall asleep, you really sleep.

It's worth it.

:huh1:

Get the machine.

Choose a well-built model that makes the least noise with a long life expectancy. Mine is pushing 15 years old and has had repairs but twice.

Talk with the sleep clinic about a humidifier. There are fancy heated ones that are a pain in the ass but there are also simple ones I've heard called "pass over" humidifiers that are external to the machine. Inexpensive, durable, easy to clean and fill.

Work with a pro to pick an efficient mask that fits well and change it as often as insurance will allow.

Shop places like eBay for a second machine - age or quality doesn't matter so long as it works. You'll like having good sleep so much that you won't want to even to try to sleep without it. The second machine is a backup for when the original fails....and it will someday.

If you live in an area where power failures are common choose a machine that will run on 12 VDC and keep a battery around and well charged. If you travel a lot then size will matter- nothing too big but also no delicate little "soda can size" machines as a primary. They will not last and are easily lost.

Expect about a week of "getting used to" using the machine. Experience showed me that one night is sometimes quite enough to become comfortable with it.

C-pap quite literally saved my life.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

I have bad sleep apnea. I lose 70% of oxygen when i sleep. My chronic rhinitus hurts it more than anything. (thats basically constant sinus problems)
Anyways, i got the machine and i sleep fine. I was like you, bro.. i put it off and put it off. Was worried i wouldnt be able to sleep with the mask on.. FINALLY went to a sleep study and i slept great that night. Mask didnt bother me a bit. Have been sleeping good ever sense. I still have problems, mind you.. but my actual SLEEPING has increased 60 or 70%.
I even carry it when we travel. They are so small and quit now...
It cost me around a grand and the masks arent cheap but its worth it. Its worth it to my wife too because now she doesnt wake up in the middle of night when i stop breathing for 45 seconds worried i am going to die.
My wife used to conduct sleep studies so she was my push on this.. Her friends husband DIED(he was young too. like 23 young) from it because he refused to go get the shit done.. Something to think about and good luck!

When the chick was putting all the sensors on me, she asked, "so why did you decide to do this?"
My answer? "im tired of being tired"

The journal of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, researchers at the University of Illinois Department of Medicine reported “potent suppression” of sleep-related apnea in rats administered either exogenous or endogenous cannabinoids. Investigators reported that doses of delta-9-THC and the endocannabinoid oleamide each stabilized respiration during sleep and blocked serotonin-induced exacerbation of sleep apnea in a statistically significant manner. Several recent preclinical and clinical trials have reported on the use of THC, natural cannabis extracts and endocannabinoids to induce sleep and/or improve sleep quality.

Sleep Apnea and Medical Marijuana

Well you asked ............... " NATURAL NON ADDICTIVE" and it works...... but of course public bs lies and fear can keep you from the best, most natural methods to use..... it won't kill your liver because of chemicals..

but hey it's your body not mine.

Marathon Mike gave the same advice but it is worth repeating get a mouthguard, it works. vacuuming out your sinuses usually works too.

A friend of mine has sleep apnea and says that sleeping in a recliner helps a lot.

I've know a couple of people who's sleep apnea has killed them.

My suffers with it. I won't let her nap without putting on the machine.

A friend of mine has sleep apnea and says that sleeping in a recliner helps a lot.
I find that to be true also. I believe it is the angle of the upper body that makes the difference. I also find that sleeping on my left side in the recliner helps.

Forum List

Back