Has Anyone Dealt With Sleep Apnea?

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
About a year and a half ago I got diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. They recommended a CPAP machine, but I didn't want to do it. I would only snore if I slept on my back, but if I rolled over on my side I was usually good. I would sometimes get a little fatigued during the day, but it wasn't that bad.

Something changed about two weeks ago or so. It seems almost overnight it went from mild to severe. I haven't gotten more than three to four hours of sleep a night for the past couple of weeks. Sleeping on my side isn't preventing it anymore. As soon as I start to dose off I can feel my throat collapse and it's taking me three to four hours to even fall asleep and after an hour or two I wake up gasping for air. I'm like a zombie all day long. I've been getting up late for work. I have only been to the gym once since the problem got worse. My wife kicked me out of our room and I've been sleeping on the couch downstairs for the past week because my constant snorting, and choking, and shifting around in the bed was keeping her awake all night too.

I'm going back to the sleep clinic tomorrow where I assume I'm going to have no other choice but to get that damn machine. I'm worried that wearing that mask will bother me just as much as the apnea. Just curious if anyone else here has or is dealing with the same condition.

My uncle and a cousin has it. Both went in for a sleep study and both wear the mask. They say it doesn't bother them at night. That really sucks because both are older and overweight

About a year and a half ago I got diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. They recommended a CPAP machine, but I didn't want to do it. I would only snore if I slept on my back, but if I rolled over on my side I was usually good. I would sometimes get a little fatigued during the day, but it wasn't that bad.

Something changed about two weeks ago or so. It seems almost overnight it went from mild to severe. I haven't gotten more than three to four hours of sleep a night for the past couple of weeks. Sleeping on my side isn't preventing it anymore. As soon as I start to dose off I can feel my throat collapse and it's taking me three to four hours to even fall asleep and after an hour or two I wake up gasping for air. I'm like a zombie all day long. I've been getting up late for work. I have only been to the gym once since the problem got worse. My wife kicked me out of our room and I've been sleeping on the couch downstairs for the past week because my constant snorting, and choking, and shifting around in the bed was keeping her awake all night too.

I'm going back to the sleep clinic tomorrow where I assume I'm going to have no other choice but to get that damn machine. I'm worried that wearing that mask will bother me just as much as the apnea. Just curious if anyone else here has or is dealing with the same condition.
Do you have gerd or acid reflex?

I had a serous problem some time ago. It's not just the snoring; it's also about waking up several times during the night and not being able to get the deep sleep you need. The CPAP solved my problem immediately. The problems has several causes, some which can be corrected by surgery. In my case, I was informed surgery would not have helped. I was told the problem would go away if I lost weight. The doctor was right and I no longer need the machine.

If you need a CPA, I suggest you search the Internet for CPAP machines/masks. From what I hear, some face masks are much more comfortable than others. The one I used decades ago didn't bother me. It helped me sleep like a baby. I'm sure they make an even better product now.

Do you have gerd or acid reflex?

Maybe. I take Omeprazole. I started having problems swallowing food a couple of years ago. I had a few incidents where food got caught in my esophagus and I couldn't swallow it. I went to a gastroenterologist who prescribed me an inhaler that seemed get rid of the inflammation, but the problem returned about a year or so ago. I had another incident where something got caught in my throat, so I went to a different GI. He did another upper endoscopy on me in December and stretched out my esophagus. He didn't see any signs of GERD or reflux, but he said that could also be because I had been taking Omeprazole over the counter for months at that point because that was the only way the swallowing issues would go away, so the OTC drug may have been working. I don't have anymore issues swallowing since he stretched out my esophagus, so he has me tapering off the Omeprazole to see if the problem returns or if I'm good to go now.

My uncle and a cousin has it. Both went in for a sleep study and both wear the mask. They say it doesn't bother them at night. That really sucks because both are older and overweight

Yeah, it's more common with people who are obese, but I'm not. My avatar is a picture of me and you can see I'm not fat. I don't know what has caused me to get this.

it is best to deal with your sleeping disorder

not doing so could lead to severe heart problems

Maybe. I take Omeprazole. I started having problems swallowing food a couple of years ago. I had a few incidents where food got caught in my esophagus and I couldn't swallow it. I went to a gastroenterologist who prescribed me an inhaler that seemed get rid of the inflammation, but the problem returned about a year or so ago. I had another incident where something got caught in my throat, so I went to a different GI. He did another upper endoscopy on me in December and stretched out my esophagus. He didn't see any signs of GERD or reflux, but he said that could also be because I had been taking Omeprazole over the counter for months at that point because that was the only way the swallowing issues would go away, so the OTC drug may have been working. I don't have anymore issues swallowing since he stretched out my esophagus, so he has me tapering off the Omeprazole to see if the problem returns or if I'm good to go now.
I would get an Endoscopy if I were you...it's a simple procedure where they look down your throat to check for any abnormalities. Sometimes our throats tighten and we have trouble swallowing and in some cases breathing...your throat can be stretched when they do the Endoscopy. They can do a colonoscopy at the same time...

I'm definitely going to now. My wife wouldn't not let me at this point and for the past couple of weeks I've felt like shit all day long. I'm just having anxiety about having to wear that CPAP mask and I'm wondering if it will bother her. I've sometimes they can be loud, but that was a few years ago. Maybe now they're better?

I would get an Endoscopy if I were you...it's a simple procedure where they look down your throat to check for any abnormalities. Sometimes our throats tighten and we have trouble swallowing and in some cases breathing...your throat can be stretched when they do the Endoscopy. They can do a colonoscopy at the same time...

I just had my throat stretched in December. That's what I was saying.

I'm definitely going to now. My wife wouldn't not let me at this point and for the past couple of weeks I've felt like shit all day long. I'm just having anxiety about having to wear that CPAP mask and I'm wondering if it will bother her. I've sometimes they can be loud, but that was a few years ago. Maybe now they're better?

i suffered with it for years

the cpap never really worked for me i could never really get used to it

so i use a little 02 at night

i would recommend trying several devices until you find one that really works

i suffered with it for years

the cpap never really worked for me i could never really get used to it

so i use a little 02 at night

i would recommend trying several devices until you find one that really works

the device or the 02 has never bothered by wife

she actually worries less about finding me dead now

my stopping breathing really scared her at the time

No sir, I heard there's masks n stuff involved.

I have a hiatal hernia. :dunno:

That slows down huge chunk of pork eatings.

Para ti? I'm thinking one of those "Inogen" thingys.

Yeah, it's more common with people who are obese, but I'm not. My avatar is a picture of me and you can see I'm not fat. I don't know what has caused me to get this.

It's unlucky, that's the thing with health, and it's why we're not like cars which can be insured in a logical way.

NoMask | CPAP PRO II Official Website. End The Torture!
DreamWear: The Sleep Apnea mask with no hose nose. Ditch the Hose Nose and sleep in any position you want | SleepApnea.com

I would think that the worst thing about Sleep Apnea is that a person stops breathing. My dad had it but never used a CPAP.

Oh and btw I recently saw where they now have better, and much more comfortable CPAP's.

Hope I never need it, because I know me. I would be yanking it off in the night.

DTMB sorry you are having to deal with this.

Forum List

Back