Has anyone checked their lineage through DNA?

Scamp

Gold Member
May 25, 2017
Land of the free, home of the brave.
I used ancestry.com/dna. I also had my daughter checked and that way I could figure out my wife and son's lineage.

I was very much surprised at the results.

I knew I was Irish Scot, my name is Campbell.

Found out I was 39% Irish descent. There is no distinction of Scottish, it's all Ireland DNA.
Great Britain 16%
And the big surprise... I'm 26% Scandinavian. Did not know that.

The rest is Iberian peninsula and some east and west Europe even Finland and NW Russia. It's amazing that it breaks your lineage down to less than 1%.

I'm as white as the driven snow. Lol.

I used ancestry.com/dna. I also had my daughter checked and that way I could figure out my wife and son's lineage.

Found out I was 39% Irish descent. There is no distinction of Scottish, it's all Ireland DNA.
Great Britain 16%

The rest is Iberian peninsula and some east and west Europe even Finland and NW Russia. It's amazing that it breaks your lineage down to less than 1%.

You're Scot and you're surprised you have Scandinavian DNA? Really?
Never studied history, did ya..........

• Banned

Great Britain 16%

I know very well that the Vikings invaded and conquered the UK. Just didn't know I was 1/4 Scandinavian.

Great Britain 16%

I know very well that the Vikings invaded and conquered the UK. Just didn't know I was 1/4 Scandenavian.
Sometimes people doing their ancestry trace the male line (it's a lot easier) and forget the women ancestors' genes that contribute half but no names.
Cool beans, anyway.

Great Britain 16%

I know very well that the Vikings invaded and conquered the UK. Just didn't know I was 1/4 Scandinavian.
Looked like you were saying you were surprised about having Scandinavian DNA. :dunno:

• Banned

Great Britain 16%

Looked like you were saying you were surprised about having Scandinavian DNA. :dunno:

No one in my family ever said anything about us being Vikings. But actually like everyone with England or Ireland lineage is going to have some Scandinavian blood.

Great Britain 16%

No one in my family ever said anything about us being Vikings. But actually like everyone with England or Ireland lineage is going to have some Scandinavian blood.
Exactly. That's okay, I'm a mutt, a Heinz 57......... No one in my family ever said anything about us being Injun till I was in my thirties.

Great Britain 16%

Exactly. That's okay, I'm a mutt, a Heinz 57.........

Very few people with European ancestry are going to be like 100% the same lineage. But its cool to know what you really are.

Great Britain 16%

23&Me is much better; my wife and I have done both. I'm 99.9% European: French, German, Romanian and Italian of which I was aware, my surprise came when I learned I am 27.9% Ashkenazi Jewish (my paternal Grandmother from Romania was Jewish). All the rest of my family on both sides were Catholic, as am I.

23&Me linked me to 895 DNA relatives in the US, and 424 in other countries - only those who took the 23&Me test are included. One interesting note from the test: the Ice Man who died 5,000 years ago in the Mts. of Europe and recently discovered and I belong to the same Haplogroup.

Great Britain 16%

23&Me is much better; my wife and I have done both. I'm 99.9% European: French, German, Romanian and Italian of which I was aware, my surprise came when I learned I am 27.9% Ashkenazi Jewish (my paternal Grandmother from Romania was Jewish). All the rest of my family on both sides were Catholic, as am I.

23&Me linked me to 895 DNA relatives in the US, and 424 in other countries - only those who took the 23&Me test are included. One interesting note from the test: the Ice Man who died 5,000 years ago in the Mts. of Europe and recently discovered and I belong to the same Haplogroup.

Thanks for that info. Never heard of them.

I'm related to royalty in England too.
I don't care though, those suckers are long gone and left me NOTHIN!!!

Great Britain 16%

I think we're related...

Great Britain 16%

I think we're related...

Let me guess, you are also Clan Campbell...

Forum List

Back