Has anyone changed

Sorry, dude, you are the rule of far right extremist unexceptionalism. You are merely a shadow of what you would like to think you are, but in fact are shallow, vain, uninspired, uneducated . .. in other words a drip.

Every stereotype about hard right extremists have been validated. They have no logic, they consider opinion to be evidence, have no tolerance for any who disagree with them. No need to respect them or their ill-logic has revealed itself to the sensible, moral American. The exceptions among them prove the rule about them.

Sorry man, you are the poster for the fake independant.....leftwing hack that doesnt have the balls to admit it....plus you offer nothing to a debate......

Says the man that the left has nothing to do with Marxism.....sorry you're a leftwing hack, trying to pretend you're a reasonable centrist, the problem is your posts betray you.... and you never add to a debate....you just carp and pat yourself on the back.....so go talk to people who give a shit.

Sorry, dude, you are the rule of far right extremist unexceptionalism. You are merely a shadow of what you would like to think you are, but in fact are shallow, vain, uninspired, uneducated . .. in other words a drip.

Sorry man, you are the poster for the fake independant.....leftwing hack that doesnt have the balls to admit it....plus you offer nothing to a debate......

Says the man that the left has nothing to do with Marxism.....sorry you're a leftwing hack, trying to pretend you're a reasonable centrist, the problem is your posts betray you.... and you never add to a debate....you just carp and pat yourself on the back.....so go talk to people who give a shit.

Too true. Right on the money.

You said the American left is marxist: a lie.

You have failed ever to advance a Thesis, With Evidence, and Concluded With Emphasis.

You foolishly think your opinion is evidence, thus making you look like an ass, right along with the other far righties who try that stupid ass nonsense.

You folks have moved more people toward mainstream America, away from you, than you will ever allow yourself to imagine.

That's fine, bucky. Keep it up.

Wonder if anyone on these boards has changed their position on one or more political issues as a result of the arguments put forth by a board poster? Has anyone changed their politics?

Over the years, some of my beliefs have been changed or softened as a direct cause of interacting with others on internet forums. I have gone from being anti-gay to supporting gay marriages having equal protection of the laws. I have gone from being opposed to the legalization of marijuana to being for it. I have gone from believing the repeal of Roe v. Wade would lead to a decline in abortions to realizing it would have no effect at all, but should still be repealed out of moral rightness. I believe the road to abortion reduction is through birth control education and a restoration of family values in our society. Shame is not always a bad thing. I have grown incredibly strong in my belief that free speech should be protected, as should the free exercise of religion. ALL religions.

I have not had any particular belief changed here, but I have not been here very long.

But my experience here has been mostly positive. This is one of the better forums. I appreciate the fairly lax censorship. The moderators seem pretty balanced compared to other places.

Coming to a forum keeps my juices flowing. I'd stagnate and begin to calcify my beliefs if I was not forced to defend or explain them. Being forced to prove one's claims or beliefs is incredibly important to one's intellectual development.

I do see some here who have never developed beyond the larval stage, and probably never will.

That problem is not limited to just one side of the spectrum, and believing it is is probably a good indicator that you are the one who is in the larval stage.

I also appreciate meeting and interacting with responsible adults who are on the opposite side of issues as me. I can respect and like a person even though they are ideologically aligned differently than I.

If you cannot learn to respect and like political opponents who have integrity, then that is also a pretty good indication you are in the larval stage.

To me, dishonesty is the first enemy, not the Democratic party. Truth is the highest goal.

Intellectual laziness is the second enemy. Throwing out completely unsubstantiated claims that conform to one's bias. Focusing on a politician's wife's wardrobe or vacations, or their horse, or their car elevator, or whatever.

Logical fallacies come next. If your belief system is built on false premises, confirmation bias, or any other kind of loose sand, then it is going to fail you some day at a critical point. And that frequently leads to acts of hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Wonder if anyone on these boards has changed their position on one or more political issues as a result of the arguments put forth by a board poster? Has anyone changed their politics?
Not on these boards...

But on other boards yes I have. Some of the people I dislike the most on the internet are also the ones, who indirectly, caused me to change my positions on some things.

In order to argue for or against something, you have to understand the opposition. So I did my research and... I found out that many of the douchbags I was trying to argue with were actually in the right about what they were fighting for... They were just social idiots for varied reasons... Perhaps it's because they couldn't convince the morbidly stupid what was best for them so they gave up and just called them names...

*shrugs*

I find it harder and harder to stay civil the older I get. Why oh why do people let the media think for them?

I'm much more proud of the liberal stances I've taken.

So, you have changed. You've gotten even stupider.

Exhibit A of my source of pride: I'm not often lumped in with people who use words like "stupider". The incessant sniping, profanity, doom-and-gloom, morose and lack of civility is apparent in almost every post from these people on the right. So, for that reason alone, I'm happy to not be associated with them.

You've been looking in the mirror as you type? Or does your behavior in other parts of the forum not apply to you here in 'Politics'?

Hypocrite, thy name is Candycorn.

So, you have changed. You've gotten even stupider.

Exhibit A of my source of pride: I'm not often lumped in with people who use words like "stupider". The incessant sniping, profanity, doom-and-gloom, morose and lack of civility is apparent in almost every post from these people on the right. So, for that reason alone, I'm happy to not be associated with them.

You've been looking in the mirror as you type? Or does your behavior in other parts of the forum not apply to you here in 'Politics'?

Hey, I've been there; I admit it but mine is not incessant by any stretch of the imagination. It certainly isn't in the majority of my posts. :D

Lack of civility? you mean from people who equate homo marriage with homo executions? and yes you are proper, morally superior east coast liberal type......in other words you're not honest, both sides lack civility......dont kid your self....mighty one!

"I havent, but it does confirm every stereotype about liberals I've heard.....no logic, reason or truth....and they are not tolerant......they are MILITANT homo lovers....and I mean there is no room for disagreement with these folks....... "

Exhibit B.

Ok I'm going to try rational thought on someone who is not rational.

Do you think anti gay marriage people gay bashers?

Try rational sentence structure.

I doubt it.

There's a famous quote about how we all seek out that which reinforces our point of view.

Reading the racism and hate from the pubs and pots has made me even stronger in my belief that ALL Americans should have EQUAL rights. I will never ever change my position on that very basic issue.

I suspect the rw's feel the same. For whatever reason, they believe they are right to hold their ignorant and narrow point of view.

My wish for all of them is a homosexual child. Hey, it has worked for other haters. Even Darth Vader Cheney has had to change his point of view because he has a gay child. Just think - that vile killer of children now knows that its not catching. LOL

Hey, I've been there; I admit it but mine is not incessant by any stretch of the imagination. It certainly isn't in the majority of my posts. :D

Candy -- Ever SEEN a word cloud? (just look it up).. I'll make a deal with you.. take a a couple threads --- dividing it up between L v R -- make word clouds for each.. If you detect the LEFT is more civil and humane -- I'll put Hello Kitty in my footer for a month.

OR better -- there are filters for profanity and aggressive language. some of them free of charge.

Wanna go at it?? Oh -- I get to pick the pic that you have to display...

Candy -- Ever SEEN a word cloud? (just look it up).. I'll make a deal with you.. take a a couple threads --- dividing it up between L v R -- make word clouds for each.. If you detect the LEFT is more civil and humane -- I'll put Hello Kitty in my footer for a month.

OR better -- there are filters for profanity and aggressive language. some of them free of charge.

Wanna go at it?? Oh -- I get to pick the pic that you have to display...

Not sure how that works.

Actually -- I wouldn't expect miraculous conversions on issues for 80% of the posters here..

It's what I think they call in the polling biz "a self-selected sample".. Most of us are here BECAUSE we follow either the pop culture political circus or are students of varying political philosophies -- or both.

(the "BOTH" are the dangerous ones!!!!)

It's my opinion that the REST of the folks that identify as Moderate or Independent are here to impress us with their "open-mindedness" and compromise. But I can't imagine anything more frustrating than to have an inconsistent political philosophy. Those folks will NEVER be never be satisfied with the political leadership or the absolute mediocracy that comes from policy formed primarily by compromise..

Actually -- I wouldn't expect miraculous conversions on issues for 80% of the posters here..

It's what I think they call in the polling biz "a self-selected sample".. Most of us are here BECAUSE we follow either the pop culture political circus or are students of varying political philosophies -- or both.

It's my opinion that the REST of the folks that identify as Moderate or Independent are here to impress us with their "open-mindedness" and compromise. But I can't imagine anything more frustrating than to have an inconsistent political philosophy. Those folks will NEVER be never be satisfied with the political leadership or the absolute mediocracy that comes from policy formed primarily by compromise..

The need to "impress" is usually something dreamt up by those who love putting the onus onto others.

I support having a military that can kick the ass of the world because it makes sense.
I support Voter ID laws because they make sense.
I support gay marriage because it is none of my business who loves whom.
I support a woman's reproductive choice because that is simply a fundamental right in my view.
I support the President because I think he'll appoint judges who will agree with me on those matters.

Whether or not that impresses or disgusts others is no concern of mine. I do enjoy reading the diatribes of the partisans here on both sides. I will admit that the right wing lunatics are much more hilarious than the left wing lunatics....one of the right wing loonies was accusing another poster of beating their wife.

The need to "impress" is usually something dreamt up by those who love putting the onus onto others.

I support having a military that can kick the ass of the world because it makes sense.
I support a woman's reproductive choice because that is simply a fundamental right in my view.
I support the President because I think he'll appoint judges who will agree with me on those matters.

Whether or not that impresses or disgusts others is no concern of mine. I do enjoy reading the diatribes of the partisans here on both sides. I will admit that the right wing lunatics are much more hilarious than the left wing lunatics....one of the right wing loonies was accusing another poster of beating their wife.

Remember the last part of what I said..

"Those folks will NEVER be never be satisfied with the political leadership or the absolute mediocracy that comes from policy formed primarily by compromise"

Are you satistified with our hamstrung political "leadership"?

Do you like the mediocracy of now punishing the military because Congress failed to cut the budget? Or a compromise on gay marraige or any other issues you feel strongly about?

What I'm saying is a practical guide to political survival.. Find a camp that fits MOST of your views.. Work WITHIN that camp to change the views that don't fit..

Much easier than battling with your sworn enemies who aren't gonna change..

Remember the last part of what I said..

"Those folks will NEVER be never be satisfied with the political leadership or the absolute mediocracy that comes from policy formed primarily by compromise"

Are you satistified with our hamstrung political "leadership"?
On the whole, no.

Do you like the mediocracy of now punishing the military because Congress failed to cut the budget? Or a compromise on gay marraige or any other issues you feel strongly about?
Cuts need to be made across the board. The Defense Dept is spending nearly $0.50 of every dollar spent on defense on the globe. This "cut" won't mean jack in real terms.

As for Gay Marriage, the federal leadership is fine for the forseeable future. Eventually, it will be ratified nationwide.

[
What I'm saying is a practical guide to political survival.. Find a camp that fits MOST of your views.. Work WITHIN that camp to change the views that don't fit..

Much easier than battling with your sworn enemies who aren't gonna change..

Good luck with that.

Maybe we should all join the NRA and then when a meeting is called, we should vote to disband...I get what you're saying.

I prefer to not belong to either camp and vote for the person, not her party.

I have been posting on boards like this for around 15 years, I have seen no one change their views, even in the face of overwhelming evidence of their error.

I can count the number who have admitted error on the fingers of one hand.

Forum List

Back