Harvard Loses to Inmates in Debates

Harvard's prestigious debate team loses to NY inmates

"It took place at the Eastern New York Correctional Facility, a maximum-security prison in Napanoch. The Ivy League undergrads were invited last month to debate the inmates who take in-prison courses taught by Bard College faculty.

"Harvard's team won the national title this year and the world championship in 2014.

"But the inmates are building a reputation, too. The club has notched victories against teams from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and the University of Vermont.

"Against Harvard, the inmates were tasked with defending the position that public schools should be allowed to turn away students whose parents came to the U.S. illegally. Harvard's team responded, but a panel of neutral judges declared the inmates victorious."

All the PC Nazi promotions based on what group you are in and dismissing 'insensitive' people has left our elite universities no longer filled with our best and brightest any more, and this is reflected in our national leadership as well.

You're making the claim that an undergraduate is supposed to be more intelligent than a prison inmate? Why?

You seriously see no more qualifier to this story than 'prisoners smarter than college boys'?

roflmao

I can see plenty of possibilities. I'm not going to assume something is the case before I know what the reality is.
But apparently you cant, since that was how you read my initial post.

Our colleges are not taking in the best of the best any more, and that a prison debate team can beat the world champion Harvard team says a lot about how well the prison team prepared, but ultimately it says a lot more about our colleges being inferior institutions.

Clearly they're not taking in YOU.

"It took place at the Eastern New York Correctional Facility, a maximum-security prison in Napanoch. The Ivy League undergrads were invited last month to debate the inmates who take in-prison courses taught by Bard College faculty.

"Harvard's team won the national title this year and the world championship in 2014.

"But the inmates are building a reputation, too. The club has notched victories against teams from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and the University of Vermont.

"Against Harvard, the inmates were tasked with defending the position that public schools should be allowed to turn away students whose parents came to the U.S. illegally. Harvard's team responded, but a panel of neutral judges declared the inmates victorious."

All the PC Nazi promotions based on what group you are in and dismissing 'insensitive' people has left our elite universities no longer filled with our best and brightest any more, and this is reflected in our national leadership as well.

You're making the claim that an undergraduate is supposed to be more intelligent than a prison inmate? Why?

They are apparently better debaters than Harvard undergrads.

Okay, and?

If you don't get it...you don't get it. I can help stupid.

God damn, you get a thread about intelligent people, and what comes out of the woodwork? You get those people who seem to have intelligence envy....

I'm sorry, this thread is just turning into some brown semi-solid.

seems like a bit of a set up since the school should actually contact the authorities and have the parents arrested.

so turning away students is just a softball subject, since saying the schools should take the kids in would be illegal.

Can you try to convey your thoughts again? None of that made any sense to me. I was talking about how a team of prisoners embarrassed the top debate teams of the world, and that demonstrates that we are no longer taking the best of the best for college students any more.

What you responded with seems completely unrelated to my post.
I was talking about the subject of the debate.

the inmates were given the legal and logical side of the situation and the students the other side.

proving the school should follow the law is a lot easier than proving they should break the law.

but the assumption that inmates are ignorant is ignorance on your part, I can assure you the inmates on that team are very good at solving problems or running cons.

and it was adults v kids in their early 20's

No, the prison team is quite good, obviously. There are different levels of competition and some are so far apart in quality that one group will never lose to the lower groups.

For example take international chess. There is the lowest rank of people who join but never really take the game seriously and they have a 100% losing record. These are people that know the rules but don't master the strategies. Still they could probably win every game against randomly selected people off the street. I refer to the lowest ranking of chess players as Dilletantes and the randomly selected street person as Noobs, as in the game is new to them to play.
Above the Dillettante is the Amateur tournament player who knows all the strategies and all the rules his shortcoming is in the time he has available to commit to learning the game but he has some wins in serious chess tournament play, but it is a losing record most likely. Above the Amateur is the Professional chess player who has a winning record and the best of them eventually become Masters and Grand Masters maybe. Above the Professional is the Gifted player who is a consummate pro but also has advantages only God and Nature can give and defy explanation.

To take people out of jail who are in maximum security and to mold them into a team that can beat World Champion players at chess says two things, at minimum, about the team coach for the prisoners and about the poor quality of chess play. Of course this can never happen in real life. International chess is about who is the best. They don't care if you are a racist, or are crude or offensive; just look at Bobby Fischer. All they care about is DO YOU WIN.

Now suppose the international chess organizations all were take over by the libtards and they began recruiting people to play chess that were not the best players in terms of winning games. Suppose they added new rules and penalties for chess play that had nothing to do with being the best of the best at playing chess. You would soon have the same shit that we now have with our colleges. The libtards that run our universities and colleges are not concerned with the best of the best being in school or active professionally, Plenty of the top scientists of various professions have been run into retirement for saying things that are not PC, like the guy that discovered the helix shape to DNA. James Watson is an ass hole, no doubt in my mind, but he is a brilliant scientist. But that isn't enough today, as proven by his being forced into retirement.

James Watson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On October 25, 2007, Watson was compelled to retire as chancellor of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory on New York's Long Island and from its board of directors, after he had been quoted in The Times the previous week as saying "[I am] inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa [because] all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours—whereas all the testing says not really." He went on to say that despite the desire that all human beings should be equal, "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true."[56] He was later found to carry 16 percent African ancestry."

Our academic professions are no longer interested in the best and brightest, but only the best of the lot of people who are more concerned about being polite than about deriving TRUTH. And this is making our academic professions inferior to those of Eastern Europe and Asia. That is why this debate result does not surprise me in the least.

Last edited:

You seriously see no more qualifier to this story than 'prisoners smarter than college boys'?

roflmao

I can see plenty of possibilities. I'm not going to assume something is the case before I know what the reality is.
But apparently you cant, since that was how you read my initial post.

Our colleges are not taking in the best of the best any more, and that a prison debate team can beat the world champion Harvard team says a lot about how well the prison team prepared, but ultimately it says a lot more about our colleges being inferior institutions.

Clearly they're not taking in YOU.

Lol, yeah, they took me in back in 1976 and since then I have been quite grateful to God that I did not have to run the PC gauntlet of bullshit they put students through now.

Okay, and?

God damn, you get a thread about intelligent people, and what comes out of the woodwork? You get those people who seem to have intelligence envy....

Lol, Papageorgio is easily ten times smarter than you will ever be on your best day, stupid ass.

It's like talking to a child.

As for your link on wikipedia, it doesn't say how many universities actually participate, or how seriously they take this. It's just wikipedia.

Yes, you stupid fool, our talking to you is definitely like talking to a stupid child.

You make every thread you get into unenjoyable and tedious. You cant read what other people post or digest it. You are kind of like the crippled kid that is on the team because people feel sorry for them and they let them hang around.

I do not appreciate your trolling my threads, and so I shoot it to you straight.

The article I linked to in Wikipedia shows the international context and rich variety of scholastic debate. It requires a complete idiot like you to look at it and say 'So what? It doesn't say how many colleges are involved' like a pathetic dolt.

Okay, and?

What is your problem, a bunch of Harvard undergrads got out debated by convicts. Pretty simple, not sure what the hell an asshole like yourself wants out of the thread.

Convicts have real world experience plus training, the undergrads not so much. That can make a huge difference. Convicts are also good at manipulating people. So they would be good at manipulating argument in their favor.

Not sure why this bothers you.

Only logical way I can think how this happened is these inmates had a professional career before incarceration. Like lawyer ( which I put one myself for embezzlement) teachers, professor, engineers, police officer or even doctors etc.. That had knowledge or have time to study the subject before the debate.

Do you have any information with linkage that proves your speculation?

No I don't have any link but I know there are lots of inmates that has professional career before they went to jail as I previously mentioned. Like one of my lawyer. They also have access to library and they have lots of time to study or pursue other interest.
Well the prison debate team in this case was made up of maximum security inmates. And a lot of them are very bright guys, but for them to beat the world champion debate team is like a homeless man walking into a chess tournament and beating Kasparov.

In real life that never happens if the pro is in a competitive field that accepts only the best and advances people only due to being the best.

Such is not the case any more of our academic professions and endeavors of all kinds..

The Right continues it's battle against education.

Looks like the convicts won a battle against educated Harvard undergrads.

Oh, now I see....Harvard losing was because of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy Theory (VRWCT)?

There is no need to involve conspiracy when the idiocy and low standards of todays academia are sufficient to explain everything.

I had an interesting pair of experiences, one in high school back in 1974, and the more recent one just a couple of weeks ago.

In 74 I was playing with numbers as I like to do and discovered that 1.0 = 0.99999999 repeating to infinity. I discovered this was true when I noticed that 1/3 = .3333333 repeating to infinity, and 2/3 = 0.66666 repeating to infinity and 0.33333repeating to infinity + 0.66666repeating to infinity = 0.999999 repeating to infinity. And since 1/3 + 2/3 = 1.0, 1.0 must also = 0.999999 repeating to infinity.

My math teach said I was wrong and that nothing to the right of a decimal place can equal a number to the left of a decimal place. I offered to show her my proof on the chalk board but she declined. After class she was still just as uninterested as she knew she was right.

So I wrote to MIT and some guy there in their math department did me the courtesy of writing me back and not only telling me I was right but he also gave me two other proofs of this mathematical fact. I kind of was enchanted by the idea of going to college after that, and I imagined it this fantasy realm where people are devoted to Truth and the advancement of knowledge, lol. At least they were more so in those days.

Now today I have this notion that our theory of how our solar system formed is wrong. I have developed some evidence to support my theory and I have called several academic departments and NASA too, but there is not one person willing to discuss this idea I have. Not a single person, lol. About a dozen long distance calls wasted on the idea that academia has anyone left in it who has a classic love of Truth, enough love of Truth to charitably explain to me why I am wrong but after showing me that they understood what I was trying to say.

Our higher education system is second rate and I doubt it will ever be what it once was again as long as PC Nazis run the whole shebang.

Last edited:

inmates beat harvard and think it's the right that's sticking it to education.

I heard fish is good brain food, so you should eat a whale

Oh, now I see....Harvard losing was because of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy Theory (VRWCT)?

There is no need to involve conspiracy when the idiocy and low standards of todays academia are sufficient to explain everything.

I had an interesting pair of experiences, one in high school back in 1974, and the more recent one just a couple of weeks ago.

In 74 I was playing with numbers as I like to do and discovered that 1.0 = 0.99999999 repeating to infinity. I discovered this was true when I noticed that 1/3 = .3333333 repeating to infinity, and 2/3 = 0.66666 repeating to infinity and 0.33333repeating to infinity + 0.66666repeating to infinity = 0.999999 repeating to infinity. My math teach said I was wrong and that nothing to the right of a decimal place can equal a number to the left of a decimal place. I offered to show her my proof on the chalk board but she declined. After class she was still just as uninterested as she knew she was right.

So I wrote to MIT and some guy there in their math department did me the courtesy of writing me back and not only telling me I was right but he also gave me two other proofs of this mathematical fact. I kind of was enchanted by the idea of going to college after that, and I imagined it this fantasy realm where people are devoted to Truth and the advancement of knowledge, lol. At least they were more so in those days.

Now today I have this notion that our theory of how our solar system formed is wrong. I have developed some evidence to support my theory and I have called several academic departments and NASA too, but there is not one person willing to discuss this idea I have. Not a single person, lol. About a dozen long distance calls wasted on the idea that academia has anyone left in it who has a classic love of Truth, enough love of Truth to charitably explain to me why I am wrong but after showing me that they understood what I was trying to say.

Our higher education system is second rate and I doubt it will ever be what it once was again as long as PC Nazis run the whole shebang.
You have a problem understanding what you read.

seems like a bit of a set up since the school should actually contact the authorities and have the parents arrested.

so turning away students is just a softball subject, since saying the schools should take the kids in would be illegal.

Can you try to convey your thoughts again? None of that made any sense to me. I was talking about how a team of prisoners embarrassed the top debate teams of the world, and that demonstrates that we are no longer taking the best of the best for college students any more.

What you responded with seems completely unrelated to my post.
I was talking about the subject of the debate.

the inmates were given the legal and logical side of the situation and the students the other side.

proving the school should follow the law is a lot easier than proving they should break the law.

but the assumption that inmates are ignorant is ignorance on your part, I can assure you the inmates on that team are very good at solving problems or running cons.

and it was adults v kids in their early 20's

No, the prison team is quite good, obviously. There are different levels of competition and some are so far apart in quality that one group will never lose to the lower groups.

For example take international chess. There is the lowest rank of people who join but never really take the game seriously and they have a 100% losing record. These are people that know the rules but don't master the strategies. Still they could probably win every game against randomly selected people off the street. I refer to the lowest ranking of chess players as Dilletantes and the randomly selected street person as Noobs, as in the game is new to them to play.
Above the Dillettante is the Amateur tournament player who knows all the strategies and all the rules his shortcoming is in the time he has available to commit to learning the game but he has some wins in serious chess tournament play, but it is a losing record most likely. Above the Amateur is the Professional chess player who has a winning record and the best of them eventually become Masters and Grand Masters maybe. Above the Professional is the Gifted player who is a consummate pro but also has advantages only God and Nature can give and defy explanation.

To take people out of jail who are in maximum security and to mold them into a team that can beat World Champion players at chess says two things, at minimum, about the team coach for the prisoners and about the poor quality of chess play. Of course this can never happen in real life. International chess is about who is the best. They don't care if you are a racist, or are crude or offensive; just look at Bobby Fischer. All they care about is DO YOU WIN.

Now suppose the international chess organizations all were take over by the libtards and they began recruiting people to play chess that were not the best players in terms of winning games. Suppose they added new rules and penalties for chess play that had nothing to do with being the best of the best at playing chess. You would soon have the same shit that we now have with our colleges. The libtards that run our universities and colleges are not concerned with the best of the best being in school or active professionally, Plenty of the top scientists of various professions have been run into retirement for saying things that are not PC, like the guy that discovered the helix shape to DNA. James Watson is an ass hole, no doubt in my mind, but he is a brilliant scientist. But that isn't enough today, as proven by his being forced into retirement.

James Watson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On October 25, 2007, Watson was compelled to retire as chancellor of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory on New York's Long Island and from its board of directors, after he had been quoted in The Times the previous week as saying "[I am] inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa [because] all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours—whereas all the testing says not really." He went on to say that despite the desire that all human beings should be equal, "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true."[56] He was later found to carry 16 percent African ancestry."

Our academic professions are no longer interested in the best and brightest, but only the best of the lot of people who are more concerned about being polite than about deriving TRUTH. And this is making our academic professions inferior to those of Eastern Europe and Asia. That is why this debate result does not surprise me in the least.
are you claiming the Harvard team didn't field it's best and that it had people on it to make it fair?

Go ahead. Then the criminals will just create another illegal market. You treat drug possession and dealing like guns.
The illegal gun market is already thriving in this country. We are flooded with guns more than any country in the world! Wtf point are you trying to make?!
You blame the item instead of the criminal. Blaming drug laws for incarceration is like blaming the gun for the shooting.
Oh so you are in favor for legalizing the drug?
In theory, I'm in favor of legalizing drugs with the condition that any resulting behavior that confronts others warrants severe punishment. But that won't happen so it may be more practical to keep them underground.
Once legalized, they would just be replaced by another contraband the same way drugs supplanted alcohol when prohibition ended.

Well there is also the approach of having four tiers to drug tolerance in the law.

First is complete tolerance. All possession is legal, all sale is legal, like you selling repackaged vitamins or food supplements.

Second is free to buy but illegal to sell uninspected meds without a license. The law is focused on the seller, not the buyer.

The third is regulated tolerance. You can sell the drug if you are a qualified medical expert or have a prescription from one to sell to that patient. The patient simply needs the prescription. Selling or buying the drug without due medical clearance is illegal.

The fourth tis to make all commerce of that drug illegal, to buy or sell gets the law on their case. Even this varies in levels of tolerance depending how much priority law enforcement places on getting that drug off the street.

I think that marijuana should be completely decriminalized and the harder drugs from cocaine to heroin should be in category three. Any drug that has immediate harmful effects would be the only ones in category four, things like meth and LSD, etc. They do so much damage to your mind and body there is not a responsible way to use them and so society should show no tolerance of them..
That's logical except that pot can be a very crippling, debilitating anxiety and depression inducing substance. Advocates are either unaware of or else obfuscate that reality.
So whatever laws pertain to pot pertain to the others. Perhaps even more strict for pot or other substances that are consumed in smoke form because they can be more easily introduced into others' systems, including children.

In 74 I was playing with numbers as I like to do and discovered that 1.0 = 0.99999999 repeating to infinity. I discovered this was true when I noticed that 1/3 = .3333333 repeating to infinity, and 2/3 = 0.66666 repeating to infinity and 0.33333repeating to infinity + 0.66666repeating to infinity = 0.999999 repeating to infinity. My math teach said I was wrong and that nothing to the right of a decimal place can equal a number to the left of a decimal place. I offered to show her my proof on the chalk board but she declined. After class she was still just as uninterested as she knew she was right.

You have a problem understanding what you read.
So can you explain to me what I misread? That sometimes happens if I have some idea in my mind already and then read something that resembles what I have read before enough I often tend to put that square peg in a round hole.

If you would do me the courtesy of essplaining to me how I misread your one line comment it would be appreciated.

The illegal gun market is already thriving in this country. We are flooded with guns more than any country in the world! Wtf point are you trying to make?!
You blame the item instead of the criminal. Blaming drug laws for incarceration is like blaming the gun for the shooting.
Oh so you are in favor for legalizing the drug?
In theory, I'm in favor of legalizing drugs with the condition that any resulting behavior that confronts others warrants severe punishment. But that won't happen so it may be more practical to keep them underground.
Once legalized, they would just be replaced by another contraband the same way drugs supplanted alcohol when prohibition ended.

Well there is also the approach of having four tiers to drug tolerance in the law.

First is complete tolerance. All possession is legal, all sale is legal, like you selling repackaged vitamins or food supplements.

Second is free to buy but illegal to sell uninspected meds without a license. The law is focused on the seller, not the buyer.

The third is regulated tolerance. You can sell the drug if you are a qualified medical expert or have a prescription from one to sell to that patient. The patient simply needs the prescription. Selling or buying the drug without due medical clearance is illegal.

The fourth tis to make all commerce of that drug illegal, to buy or sell gets the law on their case. Even this varies in levels of tolerance depending how much priority law enforcement places on getting that drug off the street.

I think that marijuana should be completely decriminalized and the harder drugs from cocaine to heroin should be in category three. Any drug that has immediate harmful effects would be the only ones in category four, things like meth and LSD, etc. They do so much damage to your mind and body there is not a responsible way to use them and so society should show no tolerance of them..
That's logical except that pot can be a very crippling, debilitating anxiety and depression inducing substance. Advocates are either unaware of or else obfuscate that reality.
So whatever laws pertain to pot pertain to the others. Perhaps even more strict for pot or other substances that are consumed in smoke form because they can be more easily introduced into others' systems, including children.

I think how we categorize drugs needs to be done on the basis of 1 how well a person can operate under the influence of the drug, and 2 is the drug harmful directly and in a short time frame.

I don't think it is justifiable to ban something because it might give you cancer later in life. I think the evidence for such should be given but let the consumer make the final choice for themselves. For example saccharin was under risk of being totally banned based on some sloppy research done years ago, but now I guess its supposed to be OK now. Give people the information and let them have the freedom of deciding for themselves if we are talking about long term effects.

Oh so jails are flooded with fucking capable citizens?!

LEGALIZE IT MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!
Go ahead. Then the criminals will just create another illegal market. You treat drug possession and dealing like guns.
Yeah, libtards don't get it, that passing a law doesn't magically change human behavior. Lawshould mold human behavior, not unnaturally censor it.
What happened when the legalized alcohol after prohibition?
Bootleggers either went legal or found new contraband.

Yeah, libtards don't get it, that passing a law doesn't magically change human behavior. Lawshould mold human behavior, not unnaturally censor it.

Believe it or not, even though Virginia law allows moonshine to be sold legally if you get the proper inspection and stamp, a lot of bootleggers still sell their moonshine illegally.

'Stolen bread tastes more sweet.'

like the Kennedy family

Forum List

Back