Harry Truman

Sam Rayburn, Speaker of the House for many years, died with $4,000 in the bank and a run down farm. Wright Patman didn't die rich either. It's more common than people like to believe.

*** Yes, President Truman was quite a guy!

*** Apparently, he grew in his toleration of non-Caucasians. (He integrated the armed forces.)

*** His letters show him regularly using racist slurs for African Americans and Asians.

*** It is said in his defense that he was no more prejudiced than most people in Missouri in those days.

*** When I first read this somewhere (I forget where), I was shocked. I have just returned from Google, where there are many collaborating results.

As a Congressman in 1939 Truman proposed that the U.S. support Hitler against the Soviets, and when he started winning switch to supporting the Soviets until both were exhausted. Not a bad plan at all.
*** Apparently, he grew in his toleration of non-Caucasians. (He integrated the armed forces.)

Something that was going to happen anyway. Many black men made good careers out of the military and served well.

*** His letters show him regularly using racist slurs for African Americans and Asians.

Nobody really cares. Both those groups are full of violent racists themselves.

When Truman left the presidency, he and his wife got in their personal car and drove home to Missouri. Quite different than when presidents leave office today.

Forum List

Back