Harry Truman

When Truman left office, he and his wife got into their personal car and drove home to MIssouri on their own. We have lost what America stands for. this great country is almost over.
Truman was the last 'citizen' President.
Americans are priced out of national politics--if ya ain't got the bucks, you ain't got a voice~

He took the train home but then bought a Chrysler and drove back to DC and New York.

There was a time when the critters in Congress had to work a job outside of D.C. to earn a living.

When it became possible to earn a living as a congressman/congresswoman, that was the beginning of the end of politicians working for the people rather than themselves.

When Truman left office, he and his wife got into their personal car and drove home to MIssouri on their own. We have lost what America stands for. this great country is almost over.
after harry got back home here in independence mo he could be seen daily walking around the town square like every other person in the city,,
my step father walked with him many times on his lunch break at the court house,,

The long ride home
"When his eight years as President of the United States ended on January 20, 1953, private citizen Harry Truman took the train home to Independence, Missouri, mingling with other passengers along the way. He had no secret service protection. His only income was an Army pension.

Later that year, Truman bought a Chrysler New Yorker and got behind the wheel. He and Bess drove to Washington, New York and back home again by themselves.

A feat no president had done before or since.. . . "

There was a time when the critters in Congress had to work a job outside of D.C. to earn a living.

When it became possible to earn a living as a congressman/congresswoman, that was the beginning of the end of politicians working for the people rather than themselves.
Low pay makes it easier to bribe them.

Low pay makes it easier to bribe them.
Yeah...the fact that politics has been cash on the barrel for a very long time now.
Most politicians, not all, but most, are ideologically neutral. The put on and take off cultural attributes according to what works for them, politically.
Getting paid off is something that's just understood, in their world.

Truman didn't have enough support in the democrat party to run for a 2nd term after his mishandling of the Korean Conflict and he dropped out of politics. The media still loved him though.

That is also one Presidential Assassination and 27 assassination attempts ago. Believe it or not, the last two Presidents that did not have at least one attempt were Calvin Coolidge and Dwight Eisenhower.

That more than anything else is why that is no longer the case. And today Presidents and their spouses have lifetime protection because of this threat. My wife met President Reagan many times in his final years, as he often visited the same park she would walk her dog in. And she never saw him there without at least two of his Secret Service agents. And even though by that time most of his memory was gone, he always seemed to recognize her dog. But that might also have been that he simply always seemed to love dogs as he had 6 at the White House while he was in office. Along with over a dozen others that they had to leave at the ranch.

Last edited:
That is also one Presidential Assassination and 27 assassination attempts ago. Believe it or not, the last two Presidents that did not have at least one attempt were Calvin Coolidge and Dwight Eisenhower.

That more than anything else is why that is no longer the case. And today Presidents and their spouses have lifetime protection because of this threat. My wife met President Reagan many times in his final years, as he often visited the same park she would walk her dog in. And she never saw him there without at least two of his Secret Service agents. And even though by that time most of his memory was gone, he always seemed to recognize her dog. But that might also have been that he simply always seemed to love dogs as he had 6 at the White House while he was in office. Along with over a dozen others that they had to leave at the ranch.
you reinforced my point without even realizing it. Hmmmmm

The long ride home
"When his eight years as President of the United States ended on January 20, 1953, private citizen Harry Truman took the train home to Independence, Missouri, mingling with other passengers along the way. He had no secret service protection. His only income was an Army pension.

Later that year, Truman bought a Chrysler New Yorker and got behind the wheel. He and Bess drove to Washington, New York and back home again by themselves.

A feat no president had done before or since.. . . "
thanks for the accurate update.

Some might say it was a time when men stood by their word...

Now that it looks like creepy senile Joe has cheated his way into the whitehouse, this will be my last post on this message board. Because unlike most of our liberal posters, when I make a bet I live up to it.

I wonder what happened to those men?

Forum List

Back