Harry Potter books removed from St. Edward Catholic School due to 'curses and spells'

"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text," the email states.

Reehil goes on to say in the email that he consulted several exorcists in the U.S. and Rome who recommended removing the books.
Harry Potter books removed from St. Edward Catholic School due to 'curses and spells'

He consulted several exorcists that have advised him that the spells in the book are real.

That's a bit strange.

Catholic Schools can Catholic School

"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text," the email states.

Reehil goes on to say in the email that he consulted several exorcists in the U.S. and Rome who recommended removing the books.

He consulted several exorcists that have advised him that the spells in the book are real.

That's a bit strange.
If they work, I'm going out to find a wand. Now.

That's a bit strange.

Children should be taught real literature in school, not popular pulp like Harry Potter or romance novellas.

School is the time to teach Hawthorne and Melville, Shakespeare and Tolstoy.

I agree with this priest, but disagree as to the reason. There is no reason to substitute a Harry Potter book for Silas Marner or House of the 7 Gables.
Why? Because YOU read them in school? The curriculum is allowed to change as the years roll on. Those classics were popular in their day and yes, they were really good writers, but there are a lot of really good writers out there of fiction that is about OUR world, not society hundreds of years ago. Those books are for the English majors, not the bulk of high school English students.

One of the greatest Christian writers wrote all about wizards and witches. Tolkien, Narnia and Hobbit.
You mean C.S. Lewis, right? Who wrote the Chronicles of Narnia? Tolkein was a learned professor of English literature.

That's a bit strange.

Children should be taught real literature in school, not popular pulp like Harry Potter or romance novellas.

I agree with this priest, but disagree as to the reason. There is no reason to substitute a Harry Potter book for Silas Marner or House of the 7 Gables.
Why? Because YOU read them in school? The curriculum is allowed to change as the years roll on. Those classics were popular in their day and yes, they were really good writers, but there are a lot of really good writers out there of fiction that is about OUR world, not society hundreds of years ago. Those books are for the English majors, not the bulk of high school English students.

Don't bust their brains on school Old Lady

My fellow conservatives on Education:

"School sucked when I was there and I hated it"

"Also, school should be JUST LIKE it was when I was in school, there should be nothing new. No new methods, no new materials."

Yes. Conservatives on education, just above. Watch and be amazed

That's a bit strange.

:eek::eek::eek:

To quote Hamlet Act III, Scene III Line 87, No. You have to have Shakespeare. Didn't have a word to match what he needed? He squished two together or made it up. He only did that over 1700 times.

Shakespeare is a part of every day life.

That's a bit strange.

To quote Hamlet Act III, Scene III Line 87, No. You have to have Shakespeare. Didn't have a word to match what he needed? He squished two together or made it up. He only did that over 1700 times.

To quote Hamlet Act III, Scene III Line 87, No. LOL Good one.

I think he's a genius, but I remember it was like learning a different language. Our book had Shakespeare's text on one side of the page and the "English" translation on the other. I agree with you, though, we need to keep Shakespeare. DEFINITELY not Hamlet though. That great long winded prince needed to shit or get off the pot.

One of the greatest Christian writers wrote all about wizards and witches. Tolkien, Narnia and Hobbit.

Lewis, who wrote stories about Narnia, was converted from Atheism to xtianity by Tolkein, who himself was Roman Catholic.

Lewis, who wrote stories about Narnia, was converted from Atheism to xtianity by Tolkein, who himself was Roman Catholic.
Tolkein didn't make his religion obvious in his works; I'm surprised and interested to hear that. On second thought, the creation story in The Silmarillion, "Ainulindalë," was pretty much the way our creation story should go. Milton without all the preachifying and heavy wrestling.

That's a bit strange.

I think he's a genius, but I remember it was like learning a different language. Our book had Shakespeare's text on one side of the page and the "English" translation on the other. I agree with you, though, we need to keep Shakespeare. DEFINITELY not Hamlet though. That great long winded prince needed to shit or get off the pot.

It is a different language but, once it's down it becomes fantastically humorous. Shakespeare has become so much of our culture that for kids those references to him are littered throughout movies and commercials and skits. It's like opening a door and getting in on the jokes. Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood is Macbeth.

My son's generation grew up listening to ERB in middle school. There are all kinds of references to literature, directors, scientists that they had no clue was out there. It was a bridge to the inside jokes, or information, that the rest of us take for granted.

I am not saying that only the white people classics should be studied. I do think that in discarding many of them we are aiding and abetting a class division that public education was designed to overcome.

That's a bit strange.

Catholic Schools can Catholic School

Yes; however, we just went through this when the books first came out. I intend to continue to ridicule this decision.

Yeah, "Real Literature" only comes from European culture and has to be over 50 years old.

That's a bit strange.

If this were a public school, I would take issue with the decision. It is, however, a private school so there is little to say.

Yeah, "Real Literature" only comes from European culture and has to be over 50 years old.

Melville and Hawthorne were Americans, not European at all.

Shakespeare and Tolstoy were from greater Europe of course.

In any event, what makes Shakespeare so important isn't that he's "european" but the fact that his work was so critical for Western Civilization and the English language, which still uses a lot of the words he coined to this day. Students may wonder why loansharks are called "Shylocks", but after they study Shakespeare they know.

That's a bit strange.

No, children should be taught a love of reading, regardless of the source, fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, science fiction, science, history, nothing should be off the table. Ever. Provided it is age appropriate, I suppose. A love of reading can lead to a life long love of learning. Even in fiction there is much truth to be learned.

Banning books, burning books, are actions born of fear and ignorance and neither should be tolerated in a free society.

Of course, anyone with any experience knows that private Catholic schools are anything but a free society...

That's a bit strange.

No, children should be taught a love of reading, regardless of the source, fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, science fiction, science, history, nothing should be off the table. Ever. Provided it is age appropriate, I suppose. A love of reading can lead to a life long love of learning. Even in fiction there is much truth to be learned.

Banning books, burning books, are actions born of fear and ignorance and neither should be tolerated in a free society.

Of course, anyone with any experience knows that private Catholic schools are anything but a free society...

I 'm not for banning Harry Potter at all. The question for me is what books to TEACH in school. I just don't think that pulp like Harry Potter is what should really be taught and mandated that children must read.

Sure, there is profit to children reading the Potter books. Just not as much profit as there is in teaching Crime and Punishment or Romeo and Juliet or Silas Marner.

That's a bit strange.

I 'm not for banning Harry Potter at all. The question for me is what books to TEACH in school. I just don't think that pulp like Harry Potter is what should really be taught and mandated that children must read.

Sure, there is profit to children reading the Potter books. Just not as much profit as there is in teaching Crime and Punishment or Romeo and Juliet or Silas Marner.

I didn't mean to suggest you favored book banning, if that's how you interpreted my post. I was speaking generally...

I say teach whatever books grab the interest of children first, then worry about the rest. It does no one any good, especially a kid, if the first thing put into a child's hands bores the shit out of them.

I believe it is, or was, in Australia where the used The Phantom comic books to get young boys interested in reading and build their confidence. I have been unable to find any verification of this, so although it makes sense, it could very well be urban myth. Either way, I think the anecdotal aspect makes the point: Give the kids something that interests them first. Then worry about the other stuff.

That's a bit strange.

It is a different language but, once it's down it becomes fantastically humorous. Shakespeare has become so much of our culture that for kids those references to him are littered throughout movies and commercials and skits. It's like opening a door and getting in on the jokes. Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood is Macbeth.

My son's generation grew up listening to ERB in middle school. There are all kinds of references to literature, directors, scientists that they had no clue was out there. It was a bridge to the inside jokes, or information, that the rest of us take for granted.

I am not saying that only the white people classics should be studied. I do think that in discarding many of them we are aiding and abetting a class division that public education was designed to overcome.

What's ERB?

What's ERB?

Epic Rap Battles of History.
ERB

It's horrible.

Sorry, religion is not my favorite topic. I should never comment on articles that have any connection to religion.

You can't help yourself. You serve your master, Satan, very well.

Forum List

Back