Harmonious Anarchy Future

Treeshepherd

Wood Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2014
Endor

Can technology obsolete the functions of government? I will explore this question in posts that I write in the near future.

Chime in with your own futuristic thoughts on how technology will disrupt today's systems of society.

Can technology obsolete the functions of government? I will explore this question in posts that I write in the near future.

Chime in with your own futuristic thoughts on how technology will disrupt today's systems of society.

watta way to spend a joyful holiday

A Typical Day in a Blockchain-Enabled World Circa 2030

The linked article gets way too silly, but it touches on a few key aspects of the future.

Today if you get a ride from Uber you give your driver a rating, and your driver also rates you as a passenger. Each in turn builds a reputation. Everyone in the future is constantly being rated by other people and machines. You could call it self-policing.

Another thing the article touches on is money. In the future we'll be using Stateless cryptocurrency. Money won't be controlled by government thru central bank policies.

The University system. Does it need to be rescued? Do we need to make it affordable?Not really, no. It's an ancient model that's ripe for disruption.

A University is a center of learning. In the future, learning has no center. You can study any subject with anyone anywhere in the world, and very inexpensively. You could log into a virtual classroom with a quorum of other avatars.

Other activities would have to take the place of the socialization that students get in a brick and mortar school. Something would surely fill that vacuum. More rec league soccer and scout programs or whatever

you might want to start with complete sentences first.

and the answer is not. technology does not *make government obsolete*

The University system. Does it need to be rescued? Do we need to make it affordable?Not really, no. It's an ancient model that's ripe for disruption.

A University is a center of learning. In the future, learning has no center. You can study any subject with anyone anywhere in the world, and very inexpensively. You could log into a virtual classroom with a quorum of other avatars.

Other activities would have to take the place of the socialization that students get in a brick and mortar school. Something would surely fill that vacuum. More rec league soccer and scout programs or whatever
But how do you get out from under mommy and daddy's apron strings and enjoy the semi-independence of living away from home in a somewhat controlled environment if you don't go to a brick and mortar? College isn't just about learning stuff from books, I don't believe.

Social media already has.

I laugh at anyone that believes that we don't need government. Are you insane or something?

If you can't think of a single function of government that will be obsoleted by technology and new possibilities that distribute power then you lack imagination.

But currently I'm celebrating Independence Day ( which is relevant to this topic ) and I'm too wasted to respond coherently. I will return to this thread in the future. Happy 4th

The US Post Office was once an indispensable institution. Today we send messages electronically. I can pay my bills with my phone. My post office box rarely has anything important in it. It mostly collects junk mail like those annoying Bed Bath and Beyond promotions.

If the Post Office disappeared completely by the year 2030, I doubt young people would even notice. The story of the USPS is the story of the Digital Age in a nutshell. We changed from depending on a central authority to adopting a distributed self-organizing system.

Other institutions will linger due to cultural lag. Ultimately they will perish of their own volition.

In the future you’ll have real time data for every health metric. Blood pressure, heart rate, blood chemistry, vitamins, minerals, body weight, temperature, hydration level, etc. An app will analyze this data and report it to your display where it will be constantly updated. Your health won't be such a mystery to you. The idea of a routine checkup where you get weighed and tapped on the knee and told to exercise more will seem silly to you, in the future.

In the future you’ll be gratified to watch your cells being nourished, rather than by your belly feeling full. You won't be so dreadfully ignorant about diet. You’ll be eating superfoods and practicing healthcare independence.

But how do you get out from under mommy and daddy's apron strings and enjoy the semi-independence of living away from home in a somewhat controlled environment if you don't go to a brick and mortar? College isn't just about learning stuff from books, I don't believe.

Thank you for being the one person to make a thoughtful comment.

The proverbial 'college experience' is enriching. But it's not the only way to get kids out of the house.

I like the model of the kibbutz. Young adults live communally on a farm that they work themselves. They get the social experience of living away from home but they're actually producing something that people need. And in the future they'd be logging into their virtual classrooms a few hours per day.

For what you get, the price tag for college is too high. Knowledge isn't an inherently expensive product. Mostly you're paying a premium because the University is the gatekeeper to credentials. New educational possibilities make their gatekeeper status seem arbitrary

The Utility Death Spiral

I don’t have a choice because there’s no utility service here, but I’m living off the grid (solar). Many utility customers are switching to grid tied solar. So many Californians have gone solar that our utilities are losing a significant slice of their revenue stream. With less revenue the utilities must raise prices. With each price increase, solar becomes more attractive and they lose more customers. It's a death spiral. At some point in the future we get to a distributed power system with individuals buying and selling power with one another. That’s the foundation of all anarchistic systems; the peer to peer relationship.

Forum List

Back