Handgun for mother in law for home defense

Yeah...then I'll probably see her and me on the news.

Doesn't sound like a good candidate to me. But you could see if you could get her to do a course that focuses on the mental aspects of firearm usage for self defense. I spent a very interesting day with Pat Goodale (just Google it) once. He had some very good training on the subject. Now, he does the training professionally. Then he was just out of DIA, ahem ...ops, and we were training at his house. (Mutual friends etc.)

If your mother in law can never get to a place where she understands that a weapons should not leave its holster if it isn't going to fired into the center mass of the target in the next 5 seconds (a Loooong time), then she should just program 911 on speed dial and leave it at that.

The mental aspect of being prepared to actually fire the weapon in a self-protection scenario is far more important than almost anything else. (Except being able to hit what you are shooting at.....that really really helps.) But, if you cannot mentally execute your training, forget it. There's no point.

I think 911 might be the way to go.

My concern is that she is very stubborn. That said it could me. Whenever I say left, she says right.

Another avenue might be a safety training class.

Honestly, my concern is how much money I really want to spend on her.

It turns out tasers are illegal to buy in Michigan.

Go figure. You can buy an AK-47 buy not a taser.

I wasn't kidding about that cattle prod, Mike. It doesn't have the 'knock down' of a taser... but it'll damn sure make some punk kid think twice about sneaking in to steal her purse. And the best part is, the neighbor's dog won't hassle her at the mailbox more than once. :lol:

They only run about 80 bucks and that's about the best you're likely to do without arming her. I'd get the pepper spray too for her to keep on her person. You can't be walking through the grocery store with a hotshot. :eek:

My mother in law is a widow and doesn't have much money.

She has been talking about a gun for home defense, and I was thinking of buying her one.

However, I am a little nervous...

I was talking to my mother in law about guns and when to use them and when not to use them.

My mother in law is very stubborn.

1) My mother in law said that she would fire warning shots if someone was coming at her. I told her that was a bad idea because an assasilant can close distance very quickly, take the gun from her, and shoot her.

2) My mother in law said that she would shoot a waring at someone outside the house. I told her that was a bad idea too because she can hit a person in the house across the street.

I told her you shoot only when you feel your life has an imminent threat and you shoot center mass to stop the threat until the threat is gone.

My mother in law didn't seem to believe me.

I am now considering if she is too stubborn to learn when to use a gun and when not to use a gun.

Maybe I should just put her to sleep?

Opinions please?

50 cal desert eagle should stop someone in their tracks. :razz:

With her propensity to use it carelessly, I wouldn't get her anything larger than a .25
.25 is a rather impotent caliber. It doesn't have the penetrating velocity of .22 or the stunning effect of the much heavier, more powerful .38. The only useful purpose for a .25 handgun is concealability. It is most commonly used as a jock gun by undercover operatives.

Your mother-in-law's expressed notions about using a firearm for defense are predicated on total lack of experience. She needs to develop the sensory experience of what a handgun is about.

If you have access to a range, buy her a Smith & Wesson Ladysmith, which is a lightweight .38 revolver with a 2" barrel. It's an ideal woman's gun. Take her to the range and let her overcome whatever natural fear she has of handguns.

Buy a stack of 'Q' targets (the familiar, man-size, armed thug image) and have her put three or four boxes of 158 gr. rounds through them. She will then be more receptive to learning what she needs to know. Telling her about "center mass" is one thing, having her acquire an instinct for going right for it is another.

Last, I hope you have a really good relationship with your mother-in-law and you plan on never pissing her off. :)

I have a .22 taurus revolver that I hardly use. What do you all think?

Light recoil, not much stopping power, which I am not sure is a good thing or a bad thing in this case.
Load only hi-power LR (Long Rifle) hollow-point ammo. For defensive use, aim for the face or the crotch -- and keep shooting 'til he's down.

Mossberg 500HS410 Home Security.

Six shot .410 Shotgun designed for women for slightly more than $300.

If she is unpersuaded by you arguments against 'firing a warning shot' :rolleyes: you can buy .410 shells loaded with rubber buck shot for home defense.

Load one of these into the magazine tube last so it will be the first shot.

It packs enough wallop to give her a fight chance to get off round 2-6 in an emergency while at the same time limiting the likelihood of collateral damage from a errant 'warning shot'.

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Mossberg's 410 home defender: a well-targeted shotgun - Column | Shooting Industry | Find Articles at BNET

50359.jpg

.410 Rubber and plastic buckshot shells AmericanSpecialtyAmmo.com

Last edited:
Place a bunch of these around the house in strategic locations all connected to one clicker on the nightstand. If someone breaks in she doesn't even have to get out of bed.

claymore+mine.jpg

Get her a cell phone, with 911 on speed dial..... and fit a panic room..... anything.... but please don't buy her a gun!!

I think it depends on the mother-in-law.

shoot-yourself-gun_1.jpg

If she can handle it, this little puppy is not so bad. Its short, so not too bad in a confined area, and cycle rate is more than acceptable.
Nothing left on the business end but red jelly.

aa-12-combat-shotgun-frag-12-automatic.jpg

Last edited:
Move to a country where people don't need a gun to feel safe

Concur with the LadySmith .38. they also make it in a 9MM if you prefer.

Place a bunch of these around the house in strategic locations all connected to one clicker on the nightstand. If someone breaks in she doesn't even have to get out of bed.

claymore+mine.jpg
I'll take two. And one RPG. (And a Barrett if you have one in stock.)

LOL , now what good would a Barrett be for home defense (although they ARE fun to shoot)

A can of wasp spray, it will take out anything within 20 feet, and will not do permanent damage.

After that: DNR offers "women" classes, look under BOW be an outdoors woman. They usually work with a college and offer different classes for women to learn more about the outdoors, including shooting. It is done with other women, so she will not be as nervous. It is a good program and will let her shoot in a safe environment (some offer shotgun, rifle, pistol, and crossbow). Once she actually shoots, she will probably have a better idea of what she wants.

Forum List

Back