Handgun for mother in law for home defense

I think I am going to go with the .22.

Thanks to all.

A taser is a really good idea!

I'd say go with your gut, CMike...if it's telling you it's a bad idea, it probably is.

Make sure you announce yourself every time you approach her home from now on!

As of now she is unsafe, putting aside not knowing how to use the gun.

If I give her the gun, I would first need to put her in a gun safety class.

Ollie I appreciate the taser idea, but the problem is you have to get very close to use it...

Anyone who has a weapon should take a firearms safety course. And the first thing that should be taught is that there is no such thing as an unloaded weapon.

This whole thing is making me nervous.

I wonder if she is too stupid to have a gun.

Anyone who has a weapon should take a firearms safety course. And the first thing that should be taught is that there is no such thing as an unloaded weapon.

I concur. Also,

Don't put your finger until you are ready to shoot.

Don't put your gun at anything you aren't ready to shoot at

And know what is down range past the target

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1_EoRZOVes[/ame]

Last edited:
I have a .22 taurus revolver that I hardly use. What do you all think?

Light recoil, not much stopping power, which I am not sure is a good thing or a bad thing in this case.

Probably not a bad idea...when she uses that gun on you for pissing off her daughter you have a pretty good chance of surviving the first few shots.

I'm thinking taser.

taser.jpg

What is the likelihood that someone will break into her house with the specific intent to rape or kill her, as opposed to the intent of burgling?

My mother in law is a widow and doesn't have much money.

She has been talking about a gun for home defense, and I was thinking of buying her one.

However, I am a little nervous...

I was talking to my mother in law about guns and when to use them and when not to use them.

My mother in law is very stubborn.

1) My mother in law said that she would fire warning shots if someone was coming at her. I told her that was a bad idea because an assasilant can close distance very quickly, take the gun from her, and shoot her.

2) My mother in law said that she would shoot a waring at someone outside the house. I told her that was a bad idea too because she can hit a person in the house across the street.

I told her you shoot only when you feel your life has an imminent threat and you shoot center mass to stop the threat until the threat is gone.

My mother in law didn't seem to believe me.

I am now considering if she is too stubborn to learn when to use a gun and when not to use a gun.

Maybe I should just put her to sleep?

Opinions please?

I wouldn't get her a gun. She would most likely be shot with it. A taser might be a good compromise. At least if the perp takes it away from her, she might live to tell about it.

I thought this was really sweet...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmSAgW9f1HQ]YouTube - 4yr old girl calls 911 for help with her math[/ame]

I was looking at tasers online, they are expensive about $500.

I am leaning toward not doing anything.

I agree. And if she screws up with a gun I own I wonder how liable I would be...

I agree. And if she screws up with a gun I own I wonder how liable I would be...
Not to mention...how would your wife feel if your gun killed/wounder her mother?

Not a good scenario, no matter how you cut it.

My mother in law is a widow and doesn't have much money.

She has been talking about a gun for home defense, and I was thinking of buying her one.

However, I am a little nervous...

I was talking to my mother in law about guns and when to use them and when not to use them.

My mother in law is very stubborn.

1) My mother in law said that she would fire warning shots if someone was coming at her. I told her that was a bad idea because an assasilant can close distance very quickly, take the gun from her, and shoot her.

2) My mother in law said that she would shoot a waring at someone outside the house. I told her that was a bad idea too because she can hit a person in the house across the street.

I told her you shoot only when you feel your life has an imminent threat and you shoot center mass to stop the threat until the threat is gone.

My mother in law didn't seem to believe me.

I am now considering if she is too stubborn to learn when to use a gun and when not to use a gun.

Maybe I should just put her to sleep?

Opinions please?

Help her practice her invader-deterence skills.

But don't let he know its a test. Just break in, and keep breaking in, until she does what you tell her to do.

Otherwise how will she ever learn to shoot for the center of the target?

I look forward to hearing from you (or your next of kin) when she's finally learned her lesson.

It turns out tasers are illegal to buy in Michigan.

Go figure. You can buy an AK-47 buy not a taser.

Forum List

Back