Hamas gives up?

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by nbdysfu, Dec 27, 2003.

1. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    **All these militants are dropping their guns like Frenchmen :D**

Hamas Said to Halt Attacks Inside Israel
    5 minutes ago

By LAURIE COPANS, Associated Press Writer

JERUSALEM - The Islamic group responsible for most suicide bombings in three years of violence has called off attacks inside Israel, a move that could pave the way for a full cease-fire in weeks, the Israeli military says.

AP Photo

AP Photo
    Slideshow: Mideast Conflict

Funerals Held for Victims of Mideast Violence
    (AP Video)

Israel's military chief, Maj. Gen. Moshe Yaalon, told the Yediot Ahronot newspaper in an interview published Friday that Hamas has decided to stop attacks against Israel.

In response, Israel will hold off targeting Hamas leaders but will still go after other Palestinian militants in retaliation for a suicide bombing this week, security sources said.

Hamas officials were not available for comment Friday so it was not clear if the group was sticking to cease-fire efforts. But Israel appeared to be acting on that assumption.

Since the start of fighting in September 2000, Israel has hunted down and killed militant leaders. On Thursday, a helicopter airstrike in the Gaza Strip (news - web sites) killed three militants and two leaders.

"It is no coincidence that a group like Hamas decides to stop attacks within Israel, it comes from the realization that their organization is in danger," Yaalon was quoted as saying.

The Hamas move, Yaalon said, showed Israel had turned a corner in its battle against the militants. He said a truce could be achieved in 2004, making it the quietest year since fighting began three years ago.

"It is possible that we will reach a cease-fire in the coming weeks," Yaalon told the newspaper. "The Palestinian-Israeli conflict will be with us for many years to come, but I believe we have now passed the peak of the violent struggle.

Israel's helicopter assault Thursday came moments before a Palestinian suicide bombing near Tel Aviv that killed four Israelis. The suicide bombing did not appear to be coordinated as retaliation for the airstrike.

Hamas has taken responsibility for most of the more than 100 suicide bombings against Israelis in the fighting. But Thursday's suicide bombing was claimed by two other groups, Islamic Jihad and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

Israeli officials and Palestinian militants both pledged retaliation for the Thursday attacks, but Israel said it would not target Hamas leaders, reinforcing the comments by Israel's army chief of staff.

Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz decided in a meeting Friday with top commanders that Israel will strike at Palestinian militants, mainly those responsible for the suicide bombing, security officials said. Hamas leaders will not be targeted, they said on condition of anonymity.

Islamic Jihad militants warned at funerals Friday for the Palestinians killed in the airstrike that attacks against Israelis would not abate.

"We will chase the Zionist occupiers sitting on each and every inch of usurped Palestine until their final defeat," an armed and masked member of Islamic Jihad told thousands of participants at one funeral.

Thursday's suicide bombing was the first successful attack on civilians since an Islamic Jihad suicide bomber blew herself up on Oct. 4 at a restaurant in the northern Israeli city of Haifa, killing 21 people.

The last Israeli air raid until Thursday's, in the Gaza Strip on Oct. 20, killed 14 people, most of them bystanders.

Israel and the Palestinian Authority (news - web sites) have been trying to work out a meeting between the prime ministers of the two sides, but the efforts have stalled because of conditions placed by both.

The sides have also been reluctant to fully implement the U.S.-backed "road map" peace plan, which envisions an independent Palestinian state by 2005.

In the meantime, the peace plan requires Israel to freeze settlement activity in the West Bank and Gaza, and orders the Palestinians to dismantle militant groups — steps neither side has taken.

2. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
  3. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    That would be great, Nbdysfu... but those savages have been saying the exact same thing over and over for years.

My theory is they make a statement like this when the heat is turned up & they need time to regroup. Israel will usually respond with softening their stance & begin to withdraw, and ease up militarily. Then all hell breaks loose again.

I really don't think there's any real effort in the Palestinian leadership to achieve peace... all I've gotten out of talks is lip service. The one guy that seemed to genuinely want peace was met by resistance from every corner until he finally gave up.

4. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The otherer possibility is that they see the wall going up in Israel, and see the chaos in Iraq, and have decided to secure their base while they move into Iraq. This of course, would be against the idea that they are about the 'liberation' of the 'palestinian' people. It would show that they are really waging a war against western civilization.

What will happen if we start finding evidence of Hamas in Iraq?

5. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Then it is time to turn our attention to Syria !

6. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I'd bet my last dollar that they've got a solid showing in Iraq. Remember the numbnuts that was sending $25,000.00 to the families of suicide bombers? That was sure to buy fanatical loyalty... I saw countless stories of Palestinians heaping glowing praises and oaths of loyalty upon Saddam.

7. nbdysfu

nbdysfu Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    An even other-er question is, what if Fedayeen start coming over from Palestine with hamas insignia on their gear?

8. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The better to zero in on 'em, my dear! :D

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Between the wall, security in Nablus, and the targeting of leadership, Hamas is trying to survive by calling a halt. It will be only temporary, while they figure out how to avoid those nasty missiles.

10. critictrue1

critictrue1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having difficulty understanding how Arabs are trying to destroy western civilization. I was under the impression that the western civilization was the aggressor on Arab land and that western civilization was trying to destroy ARAB civilization and that ARABS were defending their homeland. Please help me out! Have the ARABS landed?
    Regarding that wonderful state of Israel and those nasty animals the Palestinians who don't want peace. It seems that the Palestinians after being violently gang raped should get on their knees and thank Israel and America for the privelege.