HAJJ : 3 million Muslims go to Mecca

What is the definition or meaning for the word, "Hajj"?

why is this important? What if a muslim is poor in a far off country and never makes pilgrimage? Are they doomed by Allah?

Thanks at least you can give a definition of what the word means. I'll pass on the link though. Call me lazy if you like.

why is this important? What if a muslim is poor in a far off country and never makes pilgrimage? Are they doomed by Allah?

If you are too poor or physically too sick to go to Hajj there is no penalty.

If you have money and good health. Then there is No excuse.

Many people in very poor countries save all of their lives to go to Hajj.

hajj

(häj) , the pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, one of the five basic requirements (arkan or "pillars" ) of Islam. Its annual observance corresponds to the major holy day id al-adha, itself a commemoration of Abraham's readiness to sacrifice his son on Divine orders. While the hajj is a religious obligation to be fulfilled at least once in the course of the life of each Muslim, religious law grants many exclusions on grounds of hardship. The hajj is a series of extensively detailed rituals. These include wearing a special garment that symbolizes unity and modesty, collective circumambulations of the Kaaba, and the symbolic stoning of evil. A central event of the pilgrimage is at the station on the plain of Arafat, some ten miles from Mecca, where, the massive crowds notwithstanding, the pilgrim is required to be completely alone with God performing the rite of wuquf or "standing." It is here that the Prophet Muhammad addressed his followers during his last pilgrimage. The Mecca rituals are customarily followed by a visit to the Prophet's Mosque in Medina. The hajj, gathering today millions of Muslims annually, was perhaps the greatest impetus to voluntary mobility before modern times. The economic, cultural, and political importance of this major annual gathering of Muslims from around the world has further increased with the advent of telecommunications and transport technologies, though the increased numbers have taxed the available facilities. Those who have completed the pilgrimage are entitled to add the phrase al-Hajj or hajji (pilgrim) to their name.

Yahoo! Shortcut

Do women go too?
Women are expect to go to Hajj just the same as men.

There is No difference in the rules or rituals performed.

Men and women are together standing and praying before the "House of Allah" (Kabba)

Everyone, reguardless of gender, race, wealth, wears the exact same garment.

Because all people who attend are equal to Allah.

Last edited:
Today is the first day of Hajj.

All Muslims are required to go on the Hajj pilgrimage once in their lifetime.

"... and take a provision (with you) for the journey (to Hajj), but the best of provisions is right conduct. So fear Me, o ye that are wise. " Qur'an 2:197

Hajj - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sunni Man--

Have you been yet? What do you do to practice your faith during this time?

Sunni Man--

Have you been yet? What do you do to practice your faith during this time?
Neither one of us has been to Hajj. We are planning to go next year.

Today is a day of fasting. Sun up till sun down.

Very early tomorrow there will be prayers at the Mosque and in the evening a dinner.

Next weekend, at most Mosques, there is a big family get together and picnic. There are all kind of childrens games and carnival rides for all of the kids. We usually hire a professional company to provide the entertainment like pony rides and those castles where kids can bounce around. (weather permitting)

Neither one of us has been to Hajj. We are planning to go next year.

Today is a day of fasting. Sun up till sun down.

Very early tomorrow there will be prayers at the Mosque and in the evening a dinner.

Next weekend, at most Mosques, there is a big family get together and picnic. There are all kind of childrens games and carnival rides for all of the kids. We usually hire a professional company to provide the entertainment like pony rides and those castles where kids can bounce around. (weather permitting)

Is there a greeting that Muslims exchange with each other during this time?

No for one it all states for them to live a life of little means or something like that. You can look it up I think it is part of the five things they are suppose to do in life!

why weren't you allowed in Epsilon?
it's kind of like mormon temples only the people who live their life as a muslim are allowed to go which I see as fine by me. Just think about how many people would try to exploit it.

I think pilgrimage is valuable. I've been to Nepal and India to retrace the steps of the Buddha for his birth, enlightenment, turning the wheel of the dharma several times and his parinirvana.

I'm happy for you and your family, Sunni, that you will make this committment in your lifetime. Many blessings.

We don't allow 'tourists' into Buddhist empowerments and visit during retreat times. Otherwise, we do take the public on tours of the dharma center to see the stupas, prayer wheels and shrines.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's kind of like mormon temples only the people who live their life as a muslim are allowed to go which I see as fine by me. Just think about how many people would try to exploit it.

thats a good explanation that I can understand thanks.

Forum List

Back