Gypsies and Race

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Tramps and Thieves, A Real Gypsy Pay-off
When I did my first genetic test I expected to be 50% southasian. Doug McDonald to me I am 25% and I was like "wow my family are part gypsies and I thought they are full". They always looked very southasian to me but I guess genotype is not the same as phenotype in ethnic groups who are formed 2000 years ago like gypsies it can distibute various in phenotype I guess. Like some sicilians look straight up gulf arab but are only 10% modern middle eastern. Here is Coons classification on gypsies before genetic tests were available he classified some gypsies as very pure and very eastern and noticed their dark skin. The Races Of Europe : Stevens Coon Carleton. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I made changes to my ethnicity identification on 23andme
Also on TA if you noticed. Now under ethnicity is "serbian" under ancestry it is also specified that I have other ancestries as well like gypsy and russian but serbian I choose as main identification.

On 23andme I used to identify as "other" but now as White/European. Under "All ancestries I specified that I have "Balkan" and "Other" ancestries. "Other stands for "other race or gypsy"". I used to have it reverse, it is basically still the same just that I picked as the group closest to me "european" instead of "other or gypsy".

Do you think that is ok? Whats the verdict?

23andmesettings.jpg

Personal-Information23andme.jpg

Mortimer unscaled, default penalization:

[1] "1. CLOSEST SINGLE ITEM DISTANCE%"
ILLYRIAN-THRACIAN:Hungary_Medieval_Szolad:SZ37
GRECO-ROMAN:Hungary_Medieval_Szolad:SZ43
GRECO-ROMAN:Hungary_Medieval_Szolad:SZ40
ILLYRIAN-THRACIAN:Hungary_Medieval_Szolad:SZ32
ANATOLIAN:Anatolia_IA:MA2198
ILLYRIAN-THRACIAN:Scythian_Moldova:scy305
GRECO-ROMAN:Italy_Medieval_Collegno_o1:CL25
SLAVIC:Slavic_Bohemia:RISE569

Mixed Mode:

[1] "distance%=1.4777"

SvetozarU

GRECO-ROMAN,30
SLAVIC,23.4
ARIAN,12.6
IBERIAN,9.6
ILLYRIAN-THRACIAN,8
ANATOLIAN,7.6
BALTIC,3
CELTIBERIAN,2.6
ANDAMAN,0.6
DRAVIDIAN,0.6
LEVANTINE,0.6
VIKING-RUS,0.6
HIMALAYAN,0.2
JAPANESE,0.2
PACIFIC,0.2
SOUTHEAST-ASIA,0.2

New improved World Medieval G25 unscaled calculator - Page 5

Morty, are gypsies kind of like European Indians?

They are a ethnic group with biological basis. They are defined by biology but some believe "everyone can be a gypsy or we are all a bit gypsy in heart" or "they are like hippies" or "it is a way of life" especially in the USA some believe that and dont know really what a gypsy is. Gypsies can live diverse way of lifes just like blacks can live in ghettos and steal cars or robb shops but also be neurosurgeons. Many gypsies failed to integrate and they dont have really a upper class of scientists and such or businessmen but many work in the lower class spectrum in europe as ordinary labourers and such. They are not all thieves.

Morty, are gypsies kind of like European Indians?

They are a ethnic group with biological basis. They are defined by biology but some believe "everyone can be a gypsy or we are all a bit gypsy in heart" or "they are like hippies" or "it is a way of life" especially in the USA some believe that and dont know really what a gypsy is. Gypsies can live diverse way of lifes just like blacks can live in ghettos and steal cars or robb shops but also be neurosurgeons. Many gypsies failed to integrate and they dont have really a upper class of scientists and such or businessmen but many work in the lower class spectrum in europe as ordinary labourers and such. They are not all thieves.

Yea, Cher's song had some derogatory stereotyping of Gypsies.
BTW Cher is Italian.
If you are worrying about fitting-in in America, it would not be any problem.
Don’t worry about it.

Forum List

Back