Guns & Drugs

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by ToonTheNEws, Apr 12, 2011.

1. ToonTheNEws

ToonTheNEws Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My thoughts are if you take away guns from law abiding citizens then just as with drugs the control goes to the criminal element. Just like alcohol prohibition, control went to thugs and organized crime and the war on drugs put the power in the hands of cartels...so would banning guns. It may seem counter itutive to conservative who covet the second amendment but the two issues are the same. If you say you can't take guns away from law abiding citizens because then only criminals will have control of guns and that is bad then you have to apply that same reasoning to the war on drugs. The control goes from the people and the govenment to the criminal element.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  2. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    I'm always amazed that pot-heads want to equate the two. A gun never harmed anyone who used it properly. Guns have constructive social uses. Their ownership is protected explicitly in the Constitution, and many state constitutions as well.

Drugs OTOH undermine society. No society became great with widespread drug use and many fell because of it.

3. ToonTheNEws

ToonTheNEws Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    FYI I suport the right to bear arms and have my CCW but since you mention dispairity in the numbers of negative efects here are some statitics you can look up for yourself
    The land of the free, you can use (yr 2000 deaths)
    Tobacco: 435,000
    Unhealthy food/Not exercise: 365,000
    Alcohol 85,000
    Prescription meds: 32,000
    A gun: 29,000
    But not cannabis: 0

Do you know how much pot it takes to kill you? about 1 ton...dropped on your head from 2 stories up!
    So, life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness? Only if it’s a deadly, U.S. approved happiness.
    The most dangerous thing about Cannabis is being arrested. In addition to the jail time, loss of employment opportunities & stigma, you can lose your rights to govt assistance such as student loans, housing etc. Rapists & murderers still qualify though FYI.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  4. TheFreedomator

TheFreedomator Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well stated.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,199
    Pursuit of happiness is key. But wickedness, never was happiness. You think polluting your bodies will make you happy?

6. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

For a while I was OK with legalizing it. Then I thought, screw it. Why do we need mroe things for people to be irresponsible with?

7. ToonTheNEws

ToonTheNEws Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Anyone who uses the "We don't need another intoxicant, we already have alcohol & cigarettes" or "Why do we need more things for people to be irresponsible with?" argument is using circular logic. We already have cannabis. If you support a failed policy that has spent BILLIONS upon BILLION of taxpayer dollars since the 30s in a fruitless attempt to prohibit what Americans obviously want (just like guns), a plant that has been in the service of mankind for thousands of years, you are acknowledging the existence of cannabis in society thus proving that cannabis has been here, is here and will continue to be here. The problem is prohibition.

As for doing the time..
    The U.S. is 5% of the world’s population & has 25% of the world’s prisoners. 2008 cannabis arrests: 847,864, 754,224 for possession. This clogs our legal system & allows violent criminals early parole to make room for newly convicted, non violent cannabis users.

Who benefits from prohibition? Cartels, terrorists, law enforcement, oil, pharmacorps, & private prisons. Who pays? You do, BILLIONS annually

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"
    Albert Einstein

Even law enforcement is now behind ending prohibition 2.0. Check out L.EA.P. Law enforcement against prohibition.
    LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - Cops Say Legalize Drugs

8. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    We just aren't serious enough about eradicating the problem. Singapore has very little in the way drug problems.

9. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,776

I will have to disagree with you here my friend. Drug laws have been nothing more than an assault on civil liberties. When the founding fathers started this country all drugs were legal. The methods used to pursue Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness are not to be determined by me, or you, or anyon else.

People are irresponsible with virtually anyting. Unfortunate ones will die because of it. This country became great because people were free to do what they wanted to. You must take the good with the bad (as you percieve it) for you to be a true American.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. ToonTheNEws

ToonTheNEws Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What do you call countless BILLIONs spent since the 30s????