Guns are bad, cars are not?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by RetiredGySgt, Mar 5, 2008.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
  2. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
  3. M14 Shooter

M14 Shooter The Light of Truth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    The anti-gun loons dont care about the "costs" of anything.

They just like the idea of a disarmed populace, dependent on the government for protection.

IMHO, this stems from their not having the intellectual, emotional or physical capacity to protect themselves and an overwhelming, fear-based need to impose those weaknesses on those of us that do.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    They could cost 5x that, and they would still be an integral part of the US economy. People in this country like to live in the suburbs, work in the city, and don't like to take mass transit. Know why we spend so much in traffic accidents? Because people use cars so much for minor economic things like going to work, going to school, going shopping, etc, etc.

5. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    Let me just say I'll take my chances with a nut armed with a car over a nut armed with a gun any day.

But while I love cars for some things, public transportation and a bicycle have always been my mode of transportation.

6. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    There's a faulty argument on both sides. The first on RGS's side about an economic requirement is really a moot point because we don't operate on the basis of need where selling goods and services is concerned.

On the other side as RGS noted is the argument that too many people are killed with firearms, thus they should be restriceted or banned, yet far more deaths per capita are the result of automobile accidents and no one screams to have them banned.

7. M14 Shooter

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    This is simply the anti-gun loons trying to pass off huge numbers of deaths as acceptable because of the 'necessity' of the automobile. -- never mind that In their next breath, they will damn the automobile and the dependence on foreign oil that they bring.

In essence, the anti-gun loons are willing to accept huge numbers of deaths, so long as they think there is a 'good reason' for them.

What they (deliberately) fail to account for when discounting the necessity of firearms is the number of people that defend themselves, each year, with a firearm.

How many people have stopped an attacker with a car?

8. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,889
    People who support banning guns are just as naive as people who support the Patriot Act. Every material element of control the people cede to their government is lost forever (barring revolt). So make sure it's really worth it before you willingly sign up for it.

I don't really get the automobile comparison though. I don't see the relevence.

9. M14 Shooter

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    Its an attack on the credibility of the anti-gun loon argument, and an assault on their motive.

If banning guns is justified by the number of people killed by them, why then do the proponents of bannig guns not then also push for the banning of cars, as more people are killed by cars?

10. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,889
    I think we should ban cancer too. :eusa_doh: